The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  wrong blocking technique
Marco Deijmann

Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 3:47 am    

Dear steelplayers,

Just learning to play steelgitar and playing for 6 months. I got some advice from regular gitarplayers and learned the beginnings by the well known youtube movies. I can play chords, scales and 'steelgitar rag' (sounds like somebody is killing a cat).
But now I realize I have learned blocking the wrong way. My hands get very sweaty when I play and the tonebar gets hard to hold so I bought a Shupp Pierse tonebar with a grip. Now, instead of blocking the strings with my palm I lift the bar from the strings... For now this tech works for me but I think it might get me into problems in the future.

Do I have a serious problem? Do I need to start all over and learn to palmblock and play with a rond tonebar?

Thanks, Marco Confused

Joe Turick

Charlotte, NC
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 4:43 am    

Hey Marco,

I'm new to steel as well so perhaps not the best to respond. However, I recall reading that you can use something like baby powder to alleviate the 'sweaty' grip on your bar. Based on all the reading I've done in the past, I don't think you want to go down the road you're presently on. Personally, I wouldn't pursue the workaround you're using and would go back to learning/using palm blocking.

But again, I'm a novice and would be interested to know if your 'workaround' is in fact something a lot of others are doing.

Joe

Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 4:57 am    

Hi Marco,
At the risk of setting off all of the "tone bar police" on this forum, I will tell you that you can use whatever tone bar that suits you best.
I started playing a couple of years ago and had the same problem with gripping the bullet nose bar. I bought a SP1 bar. I still practised with the bullet nose bar. After a year or so, I got used to the grip and now seldom need the SP 1 .
The advantage is that you have to have a bullet nose bar on reverse slants, unless you are unusually flexible in the wrist. It is almost impossible to play them with a Stevens or Shubb bar.
Since you can play " Steel Guitar Rag" you are probably using E major or E7 tuning. There is a lot of music available to you with these tunings no matter what bar you use.
As you progress with your playing, you probably will see the need for using bar slants and want to use the bullet nose bar.
Don't worry too much if you keep the Shubb bar. The late Don Helm's played a lot of good nonpedal steel licks using a Shubb SP1.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 6:04 am    

When I first learned to play steel in the early 50's (a "lap" steel) picking up the bar and moving and blocking by picking up the bar was the acceptable method.

When I started playing Pedal Steel, it was the opposite and I basically had to learn all over as the bar is not picked up and blocking is done with the right hand.

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 8:49 am    

I know this subject has been addressed here before, but I still think it is a good one.

When I was starting lessons at Harlin Bros. Hawaiian guitar studio on a Multi-Kord they always taught to palm block with the bar hand, by rolling the bar up first and letting the palm do the blocking.

The modern country steelers seem to dislike this method in favor of blocking with the right hand.

I seem to actually do it both ways these days and it works for me. I have often wondered whose to say which is correct or incorrect.

My good friend Jack Shrader who passed away about a year ago, was a good country pedal steel guitar teacher & player. And through many discussions and experimenting we decided just between us there isn't a right and wrong way, but whatever works for you. I'm sure there are other died in the wool veterans of the pedal steel guitar here who will disagree.

As far as the round bars are concerned the material such as "delrin" or "glass" or "Chrome" versus " Stainless Steel" and the diameter and weight of the bar can all make a big difference in the ease of holding onto the bar, especially for a beginner.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 11:26 am    

However you can block it is the best method.

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 11:34 am    

Marco,

I don't think you will ever be dissapointed you took the time to learn to play with a round bullet bar and to use "proper" right hand palm blocking technique. Remember the reason we practice is so that things that once seemed impossible, become possible, and eventually second nature. Just be patient, and go slowly, you will get it. Eventually you will find that the round bar creates very little left hand tension - much less than a contoured bar in my opinion - allowing for a more relaxed and liquid sound.

Good luck,

Gary

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 11:56 am    

Hi Marco.....I'm relatively new to lap steel myself and will say that it will be time well spent if you learn how to:
1) pick block
2) palm block
3) bar hand block

Go very slowly...be EXACTING in what you do...and the speed will very gradually come. I'm relatively SLOW at this point and that's OK because I'm trying to be accurate and not have multiple notes ringing out unless I'm playing a chord.

Just bar hand blocking is probably OK for a style where you play a lot of open strings along with using the bar but if you have any desire to get some speed and you play a style that isn't all about open strings, then you really ought to learn how to pick/palm block with your picking hand.

As to using a round bullet bar....if you are having a problem with sweat? My guess is that you are sweating from being nervous/tense. Happened to me too. So, practice using the bar and when you feel yourself getting antsy, take a 5-15 minute break. If you don't rest, frustration will quickly build and the bar will be flying all over the room.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 12:19 pm    

Marco, have a look at the video on my website. It shows a good view of my right hand doing various forms of blocking as well as left hand bar technique.

Last edited by Mike Neer on 27 Dec 2009 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 2:51 pm    

I am from the old school of learning and thinking; if it’s in the acceptable range of other steelers, it must be "one of the right ways". As with anything, there is a right way and wrong way with anything we do. Even picking up a fork and spoon has rules in some social circles. Rolling Eyes

Arnold Palmer had the worst technique for a golf swing that could be used; yet, he was a top ten world class golfer. Ozzie Chavez was the same. Everyone laughed at his awkward swing; however, he rarely drove off the fairways and drove a consistent 300 yard drive.

I followed the “general” rule that was posted on this forum right from the day I started playing my steel. It was palm blocking with the right hand. I cheat sometimes and use my left hand by picking the bar up off the strings. Which way is better???????? It will depend on who you ask.

My advice would be to practice one style and don’t stray from it. If you can master it and it feels comfortable or natural to you and it works, practice that method and use it every time you sit at your steel.

Tim Tweedale

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 9:21 pm    

I think it can be very beneficial, especially in your early days when you're forming your habits with the instrument to seek out a teacher. Even if it's only for one or two lessons.

A teacher benefits you in ways that watching videos or reading instructional material can't do; and that is the fact that you can interact with a teacher – ask them questions, get feedback, show them how you're doing things, ask for constructive criticism and so forth.

In my experience, having been on both the giving and receiving end of instruction, lessons are truly invaluable, especially when you're starting out.

-Tim

Marco Deijmann

Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2009 2:12 am     thank you all

Thanks for the encouraging advice Very Happy

It is probably my impatience and drive for results why I've learned to play like this.
This technique does work but I am now convinced that I should also manage palm blocking. And be patient...

Happy Newyear!

Marco

Rob Anderlik

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2009 8:14 am    

Some good advice here from some great players...

It seems to me that blocking, whether pick blocking, palm muting or blocking via left hand bar control is almost a hidden technique of sorts; if you're just getting started it takes awhile to realize just how important it is to playing cleanly. Another aspect of blocking that I've been thinking about is how it correlates with good economy of motion in the right hand.

I'm just guessing that lap steel players may rely more on palm muting whereas dobro players rely on pick blocking?

Anyway, I recently put together an introduction to pick blocking instructional piece and posted it on my website. I am a dobro player so my approach is based on what I've learned from trying to play bluegrass over the years...

Here's the link - http://www.robanderlik.com/Clips/Pick%20Blocking%20Exercises.pdf

I should mention that I put together the lesson is in a PDF format and includes video/audio clips (17mb file) You need to download the most current version of Adobe Reader (9.2) or the files may not play on your computer

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Rob

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2009 2:58 pm    

Right hand Palm blocking DOESN'T prevent the whistling sound you can get if you move the bar quickly up or down the guitar. Conversely raising the bar and blocking with the palm of the bar hand does...

As for me, I pick block and also lift the bar and block with the bar hand. I only ever block with my right hand at times when I'm not actually playing, so I really only dampen the strings with my right hand to prevent the guitar from sounding unnecessarily between tunes..

My best early playing was done with a "Home constructed" bar that rotated inside a frame that had a thumb handle on it..
Nowadays I use, recommend and endorse "Tribotone" bars
*Sticks to your hand like S**t to a blanket*

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Charley Wilder

Dover, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 12:44 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:

I've blocked exclusively with my left hand since I began playing. That having been said I was never conscious of doing it. It was instinctive. I tried to show somebody how I do just recently. I couldn't do it! Or they couldn't do I should say. I told him to be patient,it took me fifty years of unconscious effort! I can see why pedal players wouldn't want to do it with that heavy steel. I agree with Bill. Do it the way it works for you.

Rob Anderlik

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 4:32 pm    

Quote:

I agree! so I guess this begs the question - how many of us gave any conscious thought to blocking technique when we were learning to play? Or...does this technique evolve organically as we learn to get the best sound out of our instrument and play with the cleanest technique?

I'd be curious to hear from others on this...

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 5:53 pm    

Never crossed my mind, in those days nobody called "Dampening the strings" Blocking..

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>