The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Dobro (Home Made) $1950
Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 5:04 pm    

Pedal Dobro's are hard to come by.The only one manufactured is by Franklin (That I know of)and they are very costly. So I decided to attempt making one for myself. This is actually the second project. The first one was not up to the standard I set for myself. The 2nd time , from what I learned has turned out very acceptable. I play a ZumSteel D10 so I'm used to high standards. The changer is from an EMCI. The under carriage parts were supplied mostly by Jerry Fessenden. The resonator parts came from Stewart-McDonald Supply. It took about 8 months to complete. It was worth the effort. What do you think?
<strike>No, it is not for sale. And I am not in the manufacturing business.</strike>
update:
I am not in the manufacturing business. Since posting this entry in 2009 that it is not for sale, circumstances have changed that requires me to raise some funds to cover some medical expenses, and therefore reluctantly I'm considering parting with it. It is not however a must sell at any price situation. I have a considerable amount of money invested in it and don't wish to accept less that that for it. I am putting a price of $ 1950.00 on it and feel that it is a fair market value.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 5:38 pm    

Thiel,

That is a very cool project.... How does it play and sound?

Paul Roland

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 6:04 pm    

Theil,
My hat is off to you, that is fantastic. I play Dobro with two slides (a bar and an old "lenny's blu slide" on my ring finger)I experimented for years with a removable pull system for a standard Dobro but never got anywhere with it and eventually got a pedal steel. I bet that pedal Dobro of your sounds great, how is it with feedback? Paul

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 6:07 pm    

That's a nice job, and shows a lot of talent and resourcefulness. You've produced a very attractive instrument. I'm interested in what you used as a sound chamber for the resonator. Would you post a picture of the underneath at the resonator end, please. Any chance of a soundclip ?

I've thought of converting an old Carter Starter into an acoustic instrument.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 6:26 pm    

The pedal action is smooth and positive. The tone is as good as any Dobro I have played or heard. As for the sound well, it came from Stewart-McDonald Supply as well as all the resonator parts. It is completely enclosed in the body of the instrument and therefore I can't take a picture of it. All the parts of the resonator look Identical to the "Dobro" brand and sound as good . I also installed a Fishman pickup to the bottom of the cone. It works very well. No feed back, etc.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 6:33 pm    

Now that is something else!!!
I'd really like to see some more, and more detailed, pictures and info on the construction. The resulting sound is of course most interesting.

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 6:36 pm    

Now there is a project for anyone to be proud of.

Congratulations on a beautiful job well done. Idea

I like the name TheilSteel too. It looks like the quality went in before the name went on. Cool

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 7:00 pm    

I'd really like to have one for all the acoustic only venues I go to. But I have heard that they were problematic. Tuning issues and etc. But I don't see why they'd be any different from an electric. I'd love to know how yours is working out as time goes by.

Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 10:02 pm    

What a beauty !
and I think it's great that you made it a NON-10 string...LOL

Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 11:28 pm    

Very cool, and beautiful work!
What's the copedent?

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 7:12 am    

As you can determine from the photos, my instrument is a 9 string. It is tuned to D9th. The same intervals as the top 9 strings on the E9th/B6th set up for the universal tuning. In my case it's D9th/A6th. With pedals A & B depressed I have an open G just like the standard Dobro.Pedals 1,2,3 work for the D9th mode and pedals 4,5,6 are for the A6th mode along with the second verticle knee lever.The small wooden bar between the legs on the left side of the instrument has a hook on it which I can hook to the LKL to hold it in the A6th mode. And it works well. There's no more room to add any more pedals or knee levers. The rest of the undercarriage is taken up with the sound well, etc. Thats the reason for locating the changer where the tuning keys normally go. All these modifications were part of the learning curve in making everything work.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 8:00 am    

I don't see the resonator from the bottom. Is it enclosed in a box. Is there a fake bottom all the way across?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 11:11 am    

I imagine it's a 9-string because that's the maximum number of strings you can get on the resonator bridge without it touching the cover. The maximum I've ever got is 8, but then I like wide finger-spacing. Did you use the same string-spacing as on a regular pedal steel ?

Again, since this is an acoustic instrument I'm interested in the shape and size of the sound chamber.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 1:27 pm    

Incredible, You sir are to be applauded.

Regards

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 1:32 pm    

Alan, I suppose if one is not using the handrest on the coverplate, a wider bridge could be made.
Thiel, I take it that this is a biscuit bridge? I tried to zoom in on the bridge, but it got to fuzzy before I could make much out. Roller bridge eh? The cone is stiff enough so that it doesn't flex downward as you apply pedals?

Man! What a cool project Thiel! You did a beautiful job. I'm most impressed!

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 4:29 pm    

Great job... that's what I was thinking to build too, but I am still missing some solutions.
I am really impressed, my best compliments! Very Happy

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2009 5:01 pm    

In answer to several questions: The sound well is 3 ply maple 10.5 inch diameter and 3 inches deep and it is fastened to the bottom plate of the chamber. (Not a "fake" bottom). I used a spider bridge rather than a biscuit bridge, which for this application I,m convinced is preferable. It does have a roller bridge and the string spacing is the same as the standard pedal steel. But since the changer is on the left end the string spacing is the same at the changer and the bridge (out of necesity). I don't find that the least bit objectional. Those who want to undertake a similar project are in for a rather complicated job, but worth it in the end.

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2009 5:52 pm    

Looks like a pretty good job to me. Could we get a closer picture of the bridge area?

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2009 8:14 pm    

I haven't seen anyone comment yet about this guitar being keyless, which is obvious that it is, but Theil, is this keyless set up one of your own design?

For a first or even a second try I am really impressed with the enginuity that went into building this great looking guitar. Idea

If I live long enough I am certainly inspired to give building one of these a try myself.

I just have too many projects going to give this priority status at this time. Smile

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2009 5:58 am     Frame

Thiel,

Congratulations; this is very right.

Why did you make the perimeter frame as you did? More specifically why did you not use typical pedal steel aluminum or steel 'endplates'?

Do you have much de-tuning when pedaling ('cabinet drop')?

Rob

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2009 6:08 pm    

Looks great!

So how is the volume compared to a typical, higher quality modern spider bridge resonator guitar?

I have been around a few Franklin Pedabros, and though they are handsome instruments with good tone, they aren't very loud.

I know that for example, an 8 string dobro is typically not as loud as a 6 sting dobro, and that is of course with a regular guitar-shaped body.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2009 6:26 pm    

Standard aluminum end plates wouldn't work. An S10 end plate is too narrow and so is a D10. My ZumSteel D10 is 11 inches wide while the Pedal Dobro is 13 to accomodate the resonator chamber. A D10 would also not be the right shape with the elevated outer neck.Wood end plates are easy to make and install. (Volume)I have played along side of a Regal 6 string and a Dobro 6 string and the volume is about the same. The tone is likewise about equal. With the Fishman pickup and played through a Nashville 400 I have all the volume I need. Otherwise I mike it. As far as detuning when the pedals or levers are used I have detected none at all. It requires very little tweaking and stays in tune very well. EMCI made a very good changer

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 6:18 am    

Thiel, congratulations on your build! That's probably as well thought out of an instrument as I've ever seen. It looks like you've covered all the bases in it's construction and you've got a "keeper" for sure......JH in Va.

Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 5:00 pm     Fantastic

Sure wish I could hear it. Great Job Ray

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 8:43 pm    

As requested, a closer view of the bridge area. The device behind the bridge is just to apply extra pressure on the roller bridge.