The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuner Out For Your Volume Pedal
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 12:00 pm    

Some Radio Shack's carry some components such as resistors and other's don't. My local Radio Shack is one of those that have cut back on inventory.

I don't think that would work on a Hilton, as it was presented. The method Keith has is different and has no direct connection to the input - it's strictly routing and isolation of the signal for a tuner. He also uses a capacitor to prevent any potential DC from getting back into the Pedal circuitry.

Keith only charges a minimal fee to do the mod on the pedal. (Shipping charges probably are more than the cost of the mod).

Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 9:25 pm    

Dick's Diagram Revised:

Merry Christmas to all.

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 8:06 pm     Tuner out

The Hilton pedal has two stages, the first is a pre-amp off the input jack which runs all the time.

The second stage is the voltage controlled amp that is operated by the pedal and is also the output amplifier. The mod is to remove the jumper between the two output jacks and connect a 5 meg resistor from the second output jack back to the feedback output resistor of the first stage.

Mr. Hilton can do this for you by sending your pedal back to him. Output 2 now runs all the time so you can tune with no output to the amplifier.

Marvin

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 8:21 pm     Strobo Flip

The Strobo Flip (early models) has two diodes across the input jack to act a level clippers to protect the input stages, from high output steel guitar pick-ups. (I understand this is a carry over from an earlier model and are no longer installed.) If the guitar signal causes the diodes to conduct, distortion in the output will result.

If you send your tuner back to Peterson they will remove the diodes for you. Peterson's maintenance tech is usually at the Texas and St. Louis shows. She can remove the diodes on site for you also. It takes her about 5 minutes. I would not suggest you try this yourself. Getting the tuner open is tricky.

Marvin

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 9:24 am    

Just checking. Have any of you tried this yet?

I thought I'd post a picture so you can see how simple it is. You'll notice I have two 1/2 meg resistors chained together. As I said earlier, I tried the 1/2 meg first and it wasn't enough.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 2:08 pm     Tuner Out Mod...

Randy, I already had the jack installed in my EB volume pedal. After your post, got a 1meg resister and installed it. My Strobo Flip works a 100% better. It likes the smaller signal input. Thanks... Sorry for the blurry pic. Dick S.....

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 7:19 pm     I did the mod too

I did it too. To my Goodrich L-120 using a Turbo Tuner. It works fantastic with my lap steels and Stringmaster. Thanks !

Last edited by Tom Wolverton on 11 Nov 2010 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2009 8:08 am     Re: Strobo Flip

Marvin Born wrote:
The Strobo Flip (early models) has two diodes across the input jack to act a level clippers to protect the input stages, from high output steel guitar pick-ups. (I understand this is a carry over from an earlier model and are no longer installed.) If the guitar signal causes the diodes to conduct, distortion in the output will result.

If you send your tuner back to Peterson they will remove the diodes for you. Peterson's maintenance tech is usually at the Texas and St. Louis shows. She can remove the diodes on site for you also. It takes her about 5 minutes. I would not suggest you try this yourself. Getting the tuner open is tricky.

Marvin

That would be Sue. You could send your tuner back to Petersen and put attention Sue, if you didn't want to wait for a steel show to meet her. I had her fix my Strobo flip in Dallas last March, and it is now true bypass now. I leave it on all the time--no problem. I did have a switch-able jack mounted under my guitar, but have removed it now.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2009 12:43 pm     Questions about the Strobostomp 2

Randy,
I'm thinking of getting the Strobostomp 2, but I'm wondering of the readings can be easily seen from your normal seated position looking down at it--if it's placed on the floor? Do you have to reach down & work the controls during the tune-up process? Also, does it have the same tuning presets as the Stroboflip? Thanks.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2009 12:58 pm     Stobo-Stomp

Butch,
I can see the screen very easy with it on the floor. I do have to reach down to switch between presets when I tune the C6th neck. Most of the time though I'll tune everything on the C6th except the E's and A's from my E9th presets, then touch those up by ear.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 9:02 am    

Randy, I put a 1 meg resistor inside the jack of a short chord and have used it twice for the Stroboflip tuner hookup and it seems to be working great. I have not been able to hear any tone change or distortion while using this chord.
Thanks for the tip!
Jerry

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 1:08 pm    

I have been reading this post from the beginning. The premise was that the StroboStomp2™, that has 100% bypass, interfered with the signal to your amp. While I think it is a great idea on a volume pedal to have a tuner out, I do not believe this pedal could change the tone with the proper dip switches set.

I have had the StroboStomp2™ for several years, and I really enjoy it. I use it between the guitar and volume pedal. I have tried and tried to find either audible or electronic evidence that it changes the tone.

So, Randy, I will wager either or sleeve or a box of Pro V1s that the StroboStomp2™ is 100% bypass, and cannot affect the tone. Very Happy

Jon

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 8:06 pm    

Pro V1's huh?

I guess the only thing in question here then is my ears or yours? Cool

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 9:18 pm    

I thought that Pro V1's would catch your eye. The only thing in question "hear". Hearing would be testimonial. Maybe one of the electronics gurus could measure a difference. I could not. I like the numbers 1-4. Where is the Peterson rep John Norris? Perhaps you have a defective unit? Seriously.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 10:14 pm    

I don't mean to sound like the Strobo-Stomp is anything less than great as a tuner. It's my favorite. I did check the dip switches and they are set right for true bypass. I also put my ohm meter on it and the readings do show some capacitance when running through it. Not much, but enough to measure. But more important, I'm confident I would score 10 out of 10 in a blindfold test. It's very apparent with my tuner. It even takes some volume off the signal.

I do like leaving the tuner on all the time and that's not possible in the true bypass mode, when the tuner is on the signal is muted. That's one of the the things I like most about this mod.

Just the fact that the signal has to go through a series of dip switches can affect the signal. I can tell the difference in which cables or potentiometers I use. I never said I wasn't finicky. Oh Well

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 5:34 am    

Great info, Randy. Thanks for sharing.

Does anybody know if this would work with a Goodrich 10K model? This model has a battery operated buffer amp.

As I look at Dick's schematic, It seems it would work fine, as long as the tuner out jack was wired ahead of the buffer amp, right? There is no partial short in any way that the amp'll see?

I haven't looked inside the pedal yet, but assume both output jacks currently are wired downstream of the buffer amp. I've actually never even tried the center jack.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 7:51 am     Goodrich 10K?

Brian, if there is a question whether or not it will work or do what you want, you could do as Jerry Roller did, install a 1meg resistor in a cable. That way, you wouldn't have to modify your pedal at all. I'm going to do that even though I have modified mine. I like the idea of having as short and as unencumbered set up as possible. I'm now using the 3 cable set-up, w/the delay into the back of the amp, so my mess already looks like a porcupine that got hit by a car.

Maybe Jerry will put up a pic of how he installed the 1meg resistor in the cable...

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 8:24 am    

If you are using it with the meter running then by definition there is nothing to bypass. It will change the tone. In the off position with the switches set to bypass, there is less than an inch of wire for the signal to flow, it will not affect the tone. If you have to have it on all the time, then of course you need an alternate hookup. The StroboFlip™ even when off, tinkered with the signal as it passed through like many stompboxes do.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 9:04 am    

That's true, Dick. That's what I'll do is install the resistor in a cord.

In thinking about this mod, really all it does (simple is good!) is split the guitar p/u signal but restrict the amount of signal sent to the tuner, sending only enough to allow the tuner to function. (I think). I'm catching on...

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 9:22 am    

Yep, that's what it seems to do. I like to leave the tuner on all the time (like Randy said). Then I just backoff on the VP and look at the meter. No extra footswitch to hit. Good economy of motion, good tone, too. I can check my tuning right in the middle of a song when laying out.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 5:24 pm     1 meg resistor-which watt value?

I went to a large electronics store today. They had the 1 meg resistors, but they were separated into groups of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, & I think 1, 2, & 3 watts! I guessed & got the 1/2 watt. Does it matter which watt value to use for this tuner-out application?

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2009 7:53 am    

Butch, yes it's a 1/2 watt. I should have said that in the beginning. Oh Well

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2009 6:39 pm    

Thanks Randy. I'll have to do this to my pedal. BTW, when can we expect a new cd from you ?

Tony

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 11:19 pm    

WORKS on HILTONS too !!

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 5:59 am    

Hey Tommy! I know I'm not an electronics whiz, but I couldn't imagine why it wouldn't work on a Hilton. All you're really doing is making the connection the same as if you had a "Y" cable, only the wiring is inside the pedal.

Thanks,
Randy Very Happy