The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  c6 pedal 4
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2009 11:58 pm    

Im trying to wrap my head around pedal 4 on my c6 neck. This raises the a to b on mine. So that makes a Cmajor7 chord out of a C6 chord.

I know that Cmaj7 has all the notes of Em, which is the iii chord of the key of C. Then 2 frets down for ii. So it seems pedal 4 is a great way to get Em and Dmin out of the key of C near the root open position.

Is it common to use the 4pedal to get your minor chords like this?

I see people have been removing pedal 4 from the c6 neck to free up pedals for the e9, so I assume this use of it is not that important to most players.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 4:04 am    

It may be an issue of not really understanding the 4th pedal utility Steve versus importance which is why some folks decide to use it for something different. It's utility is not as evident as the other C6th pedals.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 5:18 am    

Steve
I posted the following paragraphs in an earlier post back in November that explains my usages for p.4, which I consider necessary for my style of playing:

Okay, here's some examples of how I might use P.4 with its current setup of raising s.4 & s.8 A-B.

First would be as a unison with s.3 lowered to B with the knee lever, as exampled in this paradiddle lick.

Another unison-type riff would be an octave lick with s.4 and s.8, like Lloyd Green did (on E9 w/p.1), as used in I Can See Clearly Now.

In combo with the C-C# lever, there's this melodic riff idea, among others, for use in a major key/chord.

In a minor key, the pedal offers an adjacent 1/2 tone to s.3 (C), as shown in this example, or in this version of Besame Mucho, in combination with p.5, p.6, and the A-Bb lever.

I also use the pedal melodically in 13th chords in combination with p.5., on strings 5, 4, 3, 1, and 2. Especially useful in Hank Thompson and Bob Wills tunes... but then again, I live in Texas. Others here may not be so fortunate. Wink

There are some opportunities where p.7 or the C-B lever could be utilized, true. But to get the sound of a note moving up or down on s.4 in combination with the unchanged s.3 or s.1, p.4 is hard to beat.

These are some, but not all, of the ways I use the pedal. I might come up with something offhand in the heat of musical battle that will light the light bulb and click. One convenient thing is that I can use one foot for C6 pedals and not two commonly used in the p.5/p.7 combo. Your mileage may, as always, vary.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 5:28 am    

I thought it was redundant for a long time because pedal 7 raises the same note. Now I think it's really useful for melody work when you need a half step interval.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 6:06 am    

Danny: exactly.

As you can see, here's a couple more usages of p.4

First, for a rhythm and blues, Chicago blues, or Chuck Berry rhythm riff. Good if you're playing with a sax player, a lead guitarist, or with a guitarist suffering from terminal lack of hipness disease:
Honky Tonk riff 1

Variation on same:
Honky Tonk Riff 2

Both the above are played in combination with p.5 on strings 10, 8, and 7.

I also use p.4 occasionally in this tune for melodic licks:
I'll Be Home For Christmas

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 6:24 am    

I use this pedal a lot and it's featured quite a bit on my C6 tab for songs on my web site. Here's a simple but pretty use of it. You can get some nice E9th chromatic sounds with it also.

See "C6th - Using pedal 4 to raise 4th string A to B" on the page below:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab4.html

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 4:58 pm    

These replies are awesome, thanks guys! I was using it to vanilla for lack of better words. Finally starting to get my monies worth out of both necks Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2009 9:37 am    

Here's a few more uses I just posted out in the tab section:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1515265#1515265

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger