The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need to end up with CD media 4 practice
Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 7:54 am    

I have many CD's with all the music I've loved over the years. Back in the day, if we wanted to learn a new song you had to buy the LP/TAPE/CD with all the other cuts you did not need. As we all know, the internet has made it possible to download/purchase a single song and avoid having to buy the entire album. Here's the dilemma: I want to end up with a standard CD (kind we have in our cars) which contains all the songs I've downloaded for preparation for next weeks practice. Sites I've come across allow to download in .mp3 which I burn to CD which is useless to actually play on a CD player.

What is the suggested way to end up with a CD that I can play in my car, or CD player, from songs downloaded from the web?

Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 8:37 am    

Hello,

I guessing that you burn the mp3 files as data files. I.e. they still are mp3 on the CD.

You need to convert them into wav files. The easiest way of doing it is to use Microsoft Windows Media Player (one of the latest version, e.g. 10)

Make sure that you are in Full mode/Default mode (don't know what it's called in English, Have only the Swedish version on my computer). In this mode you have a menu at the top of the player.

Select Burn and from Explorer drag the mp3 files into Media Player. When you have dragged all the files you want. Start the Burning!

Nothing more to it!

Of cause you can use RealPlayer or some other software to....

Hope this helps!

// Anders

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 9:07 am    

Jeff, I don't know about MS, but I'll add a few words to what Anders said but for other platforms. I believe that iTunes on OS X will do what he described for WMP, i.e., convert MP3s to the CD format (basically WAV) on the fly while burning a CD.

Just to show you that I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy, if you're using GNU/Linux, there is a command line program to convert audio files: <tt>sox (SOund eXchange). man sox</tt> for the details, but the basic syntax for this would be:

<tt>sox infile.mp3 outfile.wav</tt>

Then burn the WAV files to audio CD. A short <tt>bash</tt> script could step through a directory converting each file.

HTH.

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 4:34 pm    

Any of you guys ever use this product?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/AudioCreator/default.asp

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 8:59 pm    

Jeff, you might consider getting an inexpensive mp3 player. Load the mp3's on it, listen with headphones, or connect to a stereo or PA. That would be less trouble. if you really must have them on a cd, convert the mp3's to wave files, then put them on the cd. You can use the free program, Audacity, to convert them. Open the mp3 file, then save it as a wave file.