The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zoom H-2 2 channel vs. 4 channel recording question
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 9:48 am    

What would be the application and plus's and minus's of recording in 4 channel mode vs. 2 channel? I know that the 4 channel recording only records in WAV, so it would eat up a lot of memory. I am not talking about 4 tracks but 4 channels. It gives two stereo pairs, but what use would that be?

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 10:38 am    

The most typical scenario that I can see is where all the performers are in a circle facing the recorder. Or a "surround" type of recording environment. I've not encountered a situation yet that I chose to use the 4 channel mode.

I record live performances using the back (120 degree spread), or my practices (front 90 degree spread). I'm very happy with my recorder in these situations.

A 4 channel recording is saved in two stereo pair files. Pain in the butt to deal with outside of the recorder....however they can be combined into one stereo pair within the recorder and saved as a wav file (see your manual).

Great little recorder! I would have found more use in a true M/S type of configuration as opposed to the two stereo sides.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 10:01 am     Zoom H2 2 channel vs. 4 channel recording question

Steve, thanks for the input. I record our band gigs in surround sound, but in two track. It is almost impossible to get a good mix. The drums are in the center, the bass and lead guitar on one side, the steel and fiddle on the other side and the singer coming through monitors in the center, primarily. I will think about placement and maybe try surround sound with 4 channels, in hope that I will get more lead and bass on one of the two channels and more steel and fiddle on the other two channels. Thanks for giving me something to think about. I will experiment tomorrow night.