The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6th copedant.....Is there a 'standard' these days.?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 3:44 am    

What is the 'standard' tuning and pedal set-up?

Hi or Low 1st string etc? ie...G or D?

David Hartley

Last edited by David Hartley on 2 Nov 2009 5:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 4:24 am    

Here's your basic C6th copedent:

- P4 P5 P6 P7 P8 RKL
D-------------------
E--------F-----------
C-----------D-----B-
A-B---------B--------
G---- F#--------------
E--------Eb----------
C------------- C#----
A-B------------------
F-----F#------E------
C-----D-------A-----

This is everything you need. If you wanted to add more levers, you'd want to raise string 4 from A to Bb on RKR, raise string 3 from C to C# on LKL, and lower string 4 from A to Ab on string 4. That's pretty much in order of priority, if you're going to add additional levers.

I think you'll definitely prefer the D on top. It's better for single-note melody playing, and works just like the first string F# on E9th. The G can be useful too, for chords, and cause you get the 1-3-5 dobro thing, but in my opinion, you should use the D. It's far more popular than the G, and has pretty much become the standard.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 5:37 am    

I agree with Ryan above.

Here's my D-10 copedant. The C6th D to D# change acts like the F# to G change on E9th. The C to C# change on C6th acts like the E to F knee lever on E9th.

In order of usage, here's my priority for C6th Knee levers:

A to Bb
C to C#
D to D#
C to B
E to F
A to Ab

I actually have the E to F change on my E9th left knee vertical. The MSA body is so compact that I can easily reach it with my left knee while playing the C6th neck.

The C to C# change will essentially give you the equivalent of the G string on top by moving the bar up 3 frets. So you can have the D on top and get the use of the high G also, just in another fret position. The high D is very useful for chords also if you use the D to D# change and it opens up a lot of E9th chromatic like sounds (it's the equivalent of the F# string on E9th).

Tuning in pdf format

Tuning in Excel format

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 6:36 am    

I'd respectfully suggest that, IF you have the D on the first string (my choice, too; as Ryan says, it's great for single-note playing) then raising the third string a half-step becomes a very important 'pull'. It works like E9's E-F lever (in principle, at least), and allows the major chord to be found three frets above 'zero'.

I've just acquired an Emmons D-10 with just two 'knees' on C6th, and I'm really torn between the A-Bb (it has that now) and the C to C#. My other 'knee' is lowering the 3rd - I may well choose to lose that one in favour of the 3rd string 'raise'.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 7:49 am    

Here is a tuning chart from some years ago:

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 8:55 am    

The question which was originally asked was whether there is a current standard for C6 Copedants. I think the answers received thus far have very convincingly made the case that the answer is no, once you get past 5+1.

KP

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 9:11 am    

I think that the standard as it has evolved today includes the original 5+1, plus:

first string tuned to D, not G
C to C# knee lever
A to Bb knee lever

This is what I see most often. The first string D and the C to C# lever go hand-in-hand, because that's how you get the "5th on top" inversion without the high G. A lot of people have the A to Bb lever and say they find it necessary.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 10:20 am    

I've been watching this topic over many threads for quite a while now. You can play the C6 tuning quite well with 5+1 with either the G or D on top.

If you add in the C to C# and A to Bb levers, along with the D on top, you can play all the classic C6th stuff we know and love. But you also get a ton of the E9th sounds and changes and all of a sudden the line between E9th and C6th gets a little more blurred. You can now play more slides and find full 3 string grips for melody notes without going all over the neck. Along this vein, I find the D to D# knee quite helpful.

If you go a bit further and add the E to F and A to Ab changes, you can modernize your C6 sound a bunch by adding easy to find 6/9 and major 9th chords.

If you want to play a lot of Chalker's stuff, you're going to want the A to Bb knee.

Save yourself the grief of updating your guitar in the future if buying a new guitar and allow yourself at least 5 knees on C6th and plan on using 3 of them a whole heap.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 2:04 pm    

Greg is right on the money IMO! Sure you can do alot with the bare bones tuning, but as musical as you are David I'd think you'd want all that's possible from the tuning. The "blurring" that Greg speaks of is to me what makes the tuning sound less dated and jazzier.

Another change that you might consider is one that lowers the middle G to F and raises the low C to D. It's nice to have an F in the middle range somewhere!

David Hartley

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 4:01 pm     Hi

b0b.. You're looking cool in them shades !!,,,
Roger.. Nice J200...Hope you're well.

This is very important for me.. I am studying it all in my brain.. (you guys must know what I mean when I say this, but (it's kinda sad really what my brain is going to bed thinking about.. pedals and licks and sh*t)! whoops, wrong section Hartley almost got banned) ! I hope I am not the only steel player who does this..

I am being lent a D10 to try next week..

I really appreciate your replies,

David (looking for my own copedant, wrong section, I must get some sleep as I'm fed up of 4 hours per night 'cos of my back aching) Hartley

PS.. (between you guys and me)... I have ben told not to even bother looking at Paul Franklin's set-up on the C6th, . . . . . . ? I think I need something more 'standard'

Was John Hughey's a 'standard' C6th set-up ?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 4:15 pm    

<center>Jimmy Day

Buddy Emmons

</center>
People add a lot of things just as they do on E9th, but these two are the basic old school and new school C6th standards.

Ryan Barwin

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 4:31 pm    

Neither Paul Franklin's or John Hughey's copedent is totally standard.

Hughey had the standard C6th copedent, with a few additional, though not uncommon changes.

Edit: Hughey's 10th string P8 change drops the string three semitones to an A.

Franklin's C6th copedent has a lot of weird (and confusing) changes not used by anyone else, however it contains the all the standard changes moved around.

Edit: Franklin's 10th string LKL change also drops the string to an A.

You can really see the evolution of the C6th setup, from the most basic 5+1 Day copedent with the G on top, to Buddy Emmons 5+4 with the D on top, to Hughey's evolution of Emmons' setup with 6+5, to Paul Franklin's ultra-modern setup, which takes full advantage of the mechanical capabilities of his guitar.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 4:31 am    

Doug Jernigan & Dave Easley are my favorite users of the tuning, and they also both have some odd stuff in there. I figure it up the back way - if I don't understand it, I probably don't need it, i.e. what song can't I play without it? Ummm. Shocked

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 5:53 am    

I use Buddy's setup, but without the D# raise on p.8, yielding a #11 note. I would put it on, but I'd have to add a bellcrank to that crossbar, which would necessitate dismantling more of my PP's undercarriage than I'd really care to do at the moment.

That right there's a disadvantage to having a PP, for you PP-bashers. Laughing

No biggie though, I make do with what the Lord gave me, as well as Mike Cass and Bobby Bowman. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ryan Barwin

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 7:09 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
I use Buddy's setup, but without the D# raise on p.8, yielding a #11 note. I would put it on, but I'd have to add a bellcrank to that crossbar, which would necessitate dismantling more of my PP's undercarriage than I'd really care to do at the moment.

I had that change on P8, but I got rid of it. I find the 11th is much more useful than the #11th, and it's not that hard to pull the string up a half step with your finger behind the bar, when I do need the #11 (which is not very often.)

John Orr

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 6:35 am     New

Hi all, my name is John Orr. I am new here and reside in Astoria. Looking to return to playing after a 30 year hiatus. Am looking for D-10 with lotsa option on the c6 neck. I played in Arina in the late seventies, Northern California and Arizona in the early to mid eighties. Sweet memories. Thanks for any leads.
John aka Johnnyo

John Orr

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 6:36 am     How to

How do you save a thread-like this one. Probably stupid question.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 8:11 am    

One easy way is to copy the url in the address bar above. Paste it to a page in a text editor. Then later, when you want to go back to this thread, just copy and paste the url from your text page into a new tab in your browser. And, you can even put a description of what the link is to in you text document. I do this for some other things, and never thought to do it here.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 8:24 am    

John, most browsers can create bookmarks or "favorites". And will create folders of bookmarks. Tell me what browser you use and I'll try to tell you.

David, because the standard P5 and P7 get used together and P5 and P8 get used alternately quickly, I like putting P5 on a knee Bruce Zumsteg's idea). This is the copedent that I settled on with lots of input from Mike Auldridge.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 1:13 pm    

Interesting setup Lane. I have Mike's Emmons D-10 8X6 and he has the traditional P8 on a RL knee lever. I'm going to change it out one day to make it stock.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 1:31 pm    

That's how Mike ordered it. I was there when he picked it up at the factory, when I bought my first steel (a Marlen on trade in), on a morning in the middle of one of Carlton Haney's festivals. .
I ordered my Zum that way. Bruce suggested I swap and put P5 there. I got mad that Bruce tried to talk me out of what I said I wanted. Later on, I got mad at me for not listening to Bruce, and I paid him to switch it to what he suggested.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 1:33 pm    

This is a '71 Emmons push pull I'm talking about Lane. Fantastic guitar and I will always thank Tommy for his kindness.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 4:13 pm    

71? His first Emmons was, AFAIK, an 80 or maybe 79. Custom made for him. Perhaps he bought another later.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 5:01 pm    

Believe he purchased this one locally.