The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho~Bud Maverick R & D Done
John Coop

YORKTOWN, IND. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2009 6:24 pm    

double raise / double lower "Super Fingers" changer...adjustable lower return springs...my new "gumby style" keyhead...new fretboard...new chrome steel "slider" type pedal bar...Pro I type adjustable legs...Grover Roto-Matic tuners...new heavy duty stainless steel rollers and axle...Day pedal setup...4 knee levers...new design rod pullers for balanced pulls...extra geomentry on knee levers for easier pulls Coop

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2009 6:35 pm    

Coop,

You are a craftsman indeed. Absolutely beautiful.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2009 6:35 pm    

Mighty nice work Very Happy
"Teach Your Children Well"

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2009 7:20 pm    

John that is stunning. That's how a Sho-Bud should have been made in the first place.
How do you get things so shiny?

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 12:52 am    

Now that's purty darn Hip John
makes want to start all over again Winking

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 6:21 am    

If Sho-Bud had done them like THAT in the first place, they would have cost a lot more than a pro-1! Laughing

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 2:36 pm    

Beautiful John. But knowing you, I'd expect nothing less than perfection!

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 8:03 pm    

John - Your Maverick conversion is absolutely beautiful. And it most likely plays better than it looks because that changer design IMO is one the most "bullet-proof, Sherman tank" designs ever conceived by man. They have withstood the decades and the test of time with their dependability and accuracy...and you came along and improved on that!!!
I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.
PRR

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 11:13 pm    

I never cease to be amazed at the superb results steel guitar restorers such as John Coop and Mike Cass (to name but two of the luminaries in the field) can achieve with such humble beginnings.

Seems to me what John Coop has done is take a "quirky" little steel guitar with a fairly modest reputation and update it whilst bringing it firmly into the 21st century. The Maverick has generated a lot of opinions over the years, but once this conversion is done what I'm seeing is a solid, modern, dependable steel with an iconic name, great mechanics and a bright future.

With this sort of potential, re-worked Mavericks might well become truly collectible and superbly-playable instruments. If you have a Maverick you stuffed under the bed, time to get it out and have John Coop work his unique magic on it. Turn a clunker into a classic!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 11:52 pm    

Awhile back we all got a kick out of a Maverick that sold on eBay for $1000.
Well, now I've seen everything...
Nice work, John.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 11:37 am    

so, ned....what do you think it would cost to have coop turn a maverick clunker into a classic....i would think it's cheaper to buy another steel.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 1:28 pm    

A very good question, Chris, and only Coop knows the answer to that!

What price do you put on owning something that has become far more than just the sum of its parts? It's really up to each individual to decide what is good value when to comes to any musical instrument.

For a Maverick owner accustomed to (and battling) the limitations of the factory-stock model, I'd say if they played this conversion they'd see their own guitar in a new light. The potential is there, but it needs the skilled hands of an artist to bring it out. At that point the Maverick-owner can decide whether to approach John Coop and commission the re-work, or not.

I agree you could probably get a brand new GFI or Carter S10 (for example) for similar money, but it wouldn't have that iconic name Sho-Bud on it. Quite a few of us buy steel-guitars as much for the name as the tone.

Irrespective of price, it is impressive to see what can be achieved by someone who sees beyond the limitations of the instrument as built, has a vision of what it could be, and has the skills necessary to realise that vision.

The cost of such a conversion to me seems to have little to do with the value of the re-worked steel-guitar as far as the proud owner is concerned.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 12:50 pm     '' Wow ''

Man you talk about ''Eye Candy '' ! Boy would i love to sit behind this one and give her a test run ! Some may say why a maverick ? Only John knows the answer to this one . I really don't know how much quality that Sho~Bud put into the beginners steel but they were quite cheap to buy . If the body is built good from the factory then i suppose this would be a good guitar for someone . Anyway we all know the quality work that John does and i'm sure this guitar plays very well . Great work John . G.P.

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2009 12:59 am    

John. It is indeed so very refreshing to see such high quality workmanship such as this! I've seen many nice resorations of these great old Sho-Bud guitars, but none better, espeically when it comes to the mechanics. May you live long my friend.