The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. My 1st trip to St. Louis!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  My 1st trip to St. Louis!
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 1:16 pm    

Well, i thought i would also post how i feel about my 1st trip to St. Louis! After playing steel since i was 9 i always wondered about the Big Show but never was able to go!

I turned 50 the weekend before the show and for my birthday i decided i needed a great present!

What an awesome time i had and i truly believe its something nobody should miss! Thanks Scotty for having such a great place for lovers of steel to come to!
Thanks to all the heavy hitters for taking the time to speak to me!
I want to thank Mickey Adams for allowing me to crash the Mullen room!
Thanks Carter steels for allowing me to pick on a few of the steel's on display!
I want to thank Bob Strickland and John Swain for making the 11 hour ride up and back!
It was great to meet everybody that i have talked with on the forum and youtube! Seems my speed picken has a few fans and a few citics!! Laughing
I personally want to thank David Wright for treating me like a brother! Very Happy
Also, Rusty Rhodes, my hero, because we think alike! Ya never know what he's gonna play next but what an awesome talent! Thanks Rusty for smokin with me and treating me as a friend!

Last i want to say it was awesome to see and hear Terry Bethel play with Tyler and Austin!! The kids! Laughing The future of steel is in good hands with these two youngins and Tyler Hall killed it! Whoa!
I felt i was a pretty good player until he sat down! Laughing
It was a humbling experience to be at the show but at the same time i felt at home! Great people!!!
Thanks again and hope i can make another one before i get too old! Winking
Kenny

Michael Matthews

Dutton,alabama,USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 3:37 pm     hyjacking this thread

I also was a first timer and man what a blast,first since i'm hyjacking your thread Kenny, what a delite to get to meet you,( all both of you ha ha) I really thought the other guy was you, (he he) but any way I was glad you showed up and allow me to get your pictures maybe when I can I'll post for second opinion,, you are one of our heroes here in steel guitar world, keep posting them fast licks and show us newbies how to do it.Now on to the show,wow, where do you start,I was there for four days and was in one room after another, just couldn't get it all, what a pleasure to see Jeff and his wife all with the sharp SHOW PRO guitars, dream land,also like to thank Fred Justice for the test drive on his guitars,( you got something there Fred) smooth as silk good action and sweet sound, these are as good as the best and better than the rest as the old saying goes, I really injoyed all of the jam rooms ,those guys in the GFI room was awesome,the guy playing the lead guitar, WOW, one of the best in my book and a great singing voice and his sister also. for the most part I spent more time in both mullen rooms because I have one here at home, Glad to see Mickey again (he's like a brother figure and treats you as one of the family, love ya mick!..)and what a thrill to meet Dell and all the builders of there guitars(nice work!!)enjoyed the kids as Kenny said Austin and Tyler, anybody in there league? wow and wow.. well, I could go on and on but thanks again Kenny maybe I'll see you in S.C. show Very Happy

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 3:43 pm     Mullen!

Hey guys, the pleasure was all mine...Kenny, you're a fine player man, and it was good to finally meet you. Michael, hopefully we will see each other again in Dallas, and if not, surely the SE steel show this coming year. thanks to both of you for spending time with us in St Louis..Mick
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 3:53 pm    

Well thanks Mickey! From you, that is a compliment!

Thanks for staying true to who you are! You are the same person in person as you are over the email and youtube! A great friend! You do alot to help many players learning steel and it is much appreciated.

Oh yea, i'll be in touch on one of them Mullen steels soon!
km

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 5:21 am    

Oh yea, thanks Michael for the kind words but i ain't nobody especially after watchin them youngin's play!

I'm with Gary on throwing the steel in the lake!
I decided after seeing Tyler play that this winter my steel will be in trouble around the fire place! Laughing

I will be in Atl playing that show on Nov 1st so come on by!

Thanks again man!
km

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 11:22 am    

Mr. Kenny, as fast as you play, if it ain't caught fire yet, it ain't going to. I've enjoyed watching your youtube videos. I wish I could play 1/2 that fast.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
-Tyler

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 6:54 pm    

Hey Tyler Kenny told me that I was good at playing halffast.......

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2009 3:28 am    

No, i told Ben i enjoyed watchin him try to play halfass, i mean halffast! Razz

Hey Ben, seriously, i had a great time jammin with ya! You are good people and i appreciate the friendship man!!! Very Happy

I'm going to Branson for lessons with Tyler!