The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  73 Fender Twin Reverb set up for Steel Guitar
Byron Walcher

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2009 8:52 pm    

This amp has been completely recapped and checked out by a really good amp tech. He also changed the bias arragement to the blackface type, this is much better as you don't have to have tubes that match the amp this way. The best part is that it has original cone Altec 417's. They sound somewhat like JBL D120's only a little thicker and not quite so spikey but full fidelity for sure. Also has a complete set of vintage tubes. The power tubes are Sylvanias matched by me with my Weber bias-rite. Has GE 5751 triple mica preamp tubes, Mullard phase inverter. At least $150 worth of tubes. Cosmetically not great but not ugly either, I can send pics if anyone has serious interest. This is one of the most versatile amps of all time. We used it on out latest recordings for Steel, Bass, Guitar (our lead player says it is at least as powerful as his 100 watt Marshall half stack) and has just unbeleivable tone. I have more amps than I can play and I would really love to see a steel player get this. I will, at some point be willing to separate the speakers and tubes but I want to try to get it to someone who can appreciate this type of tone first. I know that average Twins are a dime a dozen on E-Bay but believe me to put one into this level of playability is expensive. $900 plus shipping. I really want cash but might consider trade for decent single neck pedal guitar or fender non-pedal or 8-string reso. 100 watts of a$$-whipping goodness. E-mail for pics and more details,
Byron

Byron Walcher

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2009 5:31 pm    

Also has add-on recording line out, according to my tech, very professionally done although he didn't do it himself. We used it in the studio and it works great. I am willing to separate the amp and speakers, these Altecs are worth somewhere around $400. However, I won't sell the speakers first.
Byron

Byron Walcher

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 10:39 am    

I'm going to bump once more. What is up with this? I've had more lookers than just about any other listing in the last few days and not one response? I will sell the amp w/o the speakers for $500 plus the shipping and will keep the tubes for another $100, this makes it pretty affordable and I'm open to trade offers as per the original post. Just curious, I won't be offended but would really like to see this go, intact, to someone who could really use an amp with truly superior steel tone. Honest, this thing smokes about anything I've ever played through and I'm not the only one who thinks so.
Byron

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 12:02 pm    

Chill. This would be so perfect for me. I would have to think long and hard about the options you have presented because the price is good for the whole package but also, I have tubes (not NOS) and I have speakers so I could get a killer deal the way you are offering it stripped down.

But----the economy. Period. I'm in employment trouble and nothing I tell myself will help me to justify this, no matter how much I know I want it or think I need it.
I strongly suggest you be patient. I'd bet a lot that this will sell, soon.

Good luck.

Byron Walcher

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 11:03 pm    

Bump please

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 11:55 pm    

bump for a real sleeper of a deal.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2009 12:09 pm    

Wow! wish this lot was available my side of the pond..sounds like a dream combination....

Byron Walcher

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2009 4:46 pm    

Bump