The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Setting up Jazz Combo instruments to play in every style
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 8:14 am    

Is it possible, in BIAB v. #11, to set-up a jazz combo so it plays it plays back jazz combo instruments no matter what style I use? The instruments I want to use are Acoustic Bass, Acoustic piano & either Jazz drums or Brushes Kit.

In other words, even if I choose a funk style, it will play the funk style with these instruments.

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2009 9:58 am    

Version 11 has been awhile ago. I'm looking at 2009.5 so your screen may be a bit different.

Having said that - what you want to do is get to the "Preferences" section of the MIDI Options. There should be some default options in the MIDI section that you will need to turn OFF.

Here is the track in 2009.5::

Main Menu OPT. > PREFERENCES > MIDI OPTIONS.
At that window you will find four boxes with checks in them set as defaults. They are:

V Allow Any Patch Changes

V Song Patch Changes

V Style Patch changes

V Drum Patch Changes

At the very least turn off number two and three. This will prevent the loading of any "instruments" when you load a new song. Whatever was the last setof instruments in your sound generator should stay the same. (Disclamier - I've never actually done this!)

I use an offboard MIDI Rack unit call the Roland VS3080 which has the feature of creating "Combo" patches so I just creat different Combo's for different types of styles. i.e. country, country swing, new country, jazz - swing jazz, etc.

I'd like to know if this works for you, so let me know. If not, I'll see if I can come up with some other way - but this should be the quickest.

Blessings, Bo

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 11:06 am    

Gary Baker, Thanks - that worked. In v. 11, the defaults are under Opt > Midi Channels, options.

However, if I close and open BIAB, it doesn't seem to save the acoustic bass, acoustic piano, brush kit settings. What I'm still trying to do is set up these instruments in a combo that I can then click on to play back in any style. The BIAB Help section is not clear on this.

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 2:29 pm    

What you will need to do is set the default instruments in the "Preferences" section to what you want at start up. Since you have turned off any MIDI updates all your songs will have these default patches (instruments) unless you manually change them. Here is how . . . .

Main Menu OPT > Preferences > Channells

This will open up the Channels and all the default settings. Under the column titled "Patch" is where you will set the instrument for each channel.

If you don't know the patch number you can find it by going to the main BIAB screen and clicking on the little down arrow under instruements.

That will open up a listing of all your instruments with the Patch Number next to it.

Just assign that number to the Instruement's Patch number on the MIDI Channel's page and I believe it will always default to those instrrments.

Hope that helps - - Blessings, Bo

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 5:05 am    

I’m still trying to create the Acoustic Bass, Brush, Acoustic Piano instruments to play in every style in BIAB. I am able to configure these instruments but when I close BIAB, it does not save my settings so I have to reconfigure every time I open BIAB.

Here is my procedure so far:

Open BIAB > Open and play song [let song play throughout this procedure] > Click on instrument (Bass) > click on “F” tab [to the right of the instrument window] >(Acoustic Bass), [do the same with Piano = Acoustic Piano & Drums = Brushes] > File > Save Song w/ Patches & Harmony > Save > Save >
Yes.

Opt. > Midi Channels, options… > uncheck Allow ANY patch changes/Song Patch Changes/Style Patch Changes/Drum Patch Changes > Save > OK > OK.

This will now play the Acoustic Bass, Brush, Acoustic Piano instruments in every style. I only use Acoustic Bass & Brush on a gig which sounds more realistic for what I do and it’s only a minor inconvenience to reconfigure at the start of every gig or practice session.

Thanks again, Gary Baker, for the help.