The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap top to Nashville 1000 with BIAB?
Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 5:32 pm    

How do I play BIAB songs from my lap top, through my Nashville 1000, without blowing up everything? If I can't do it with a Nashville 1000, can it be done with a Nashville 112?

Thanks,
Gary

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 6:16 pm    

I use a cord with a 1/8 mini male jack on one end and a regular 1/4 inch guitar jack on the other end and go from the laptop headphone jack to one of my inputs on my Fender Twin. I believe the 112 has an input jack on the back you can use.

Dennis Wood

Savannah, TN USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 4:55 am     PodXT

If you have a PodXT with line6 drivers you can use it as a sound device. USB from laptop to pod. Guitar input to pod, pod output to amp. Volume can be blended between the insturment input and the laptop input with the volume controls on the pod.
Works great for me.
Dennis

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 8:30 am     Connecting a computer the an amp.

For those of you who do not have a line output on their computer, but do have an headphone. Make a cord with a 1/8 " plug on one end and a 1/4 inch on the other.

Get a 1/4" plug with a large shell and connect a 8 ohm 1/2 watt resistor across the hot wire to the shield from the 1/8" plug. Then connect a 100K 1/4 watt from the hot end of the 8 ohm to the center pin of the 1/4" plug. Connect the shield to the ground on the 1/4"

This arrangement lets the computer see a correct load and also lets the amp see a high impedance on its input. This give much better volumne control range, so the amp is not sitting on one, plus helps reduces any computer noise.

The 100K can be anything form 50K to 400K. All the parts can be found at Radio Shack.

Some soldering required.

Marvin

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 1:34 pm    

Headphone outputs on computer PC motherboards and plug-in soundcards can typically output signals up to 2V levels, and have an output impedance typically from tens of ohms to a few hundred ohms (quite typical is 30-400 ohms). The output level is determined by the setting of the volume on the PC. Consult the specs for your pc or soundcard, and adjust the value of the 8 ohm resistor mentioned in Mr. Born's post accordingly.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 2:54 pm    

Marvin,
If I go straight from the lap top headphone 1/8" jack to a 1/4" amp input jack, will it cause any damage if I don't use the resistors? Thanks in advance.

Tamara James

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 2:56 pm    

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tamara James on 3 Aug 2009 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 3:09 pm    

Tamara,
Thanks for the post, but I don't have a Nashville 112, I've got the Nashville 1000, and it does not have a jack on the rear of the panel to plug in a cd player. That is why I wanted to know if it would cause any damage to the lap top or the amp, if I went straight from the headphone jack on the lap top, and went straight to the plug on the from of the amp.

Tamara James

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 4:20 am    

Many apologies. I guess I was reading too fast. I'll go back and hide under my favorite rock now.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 4:39 am    

I've been using my 1/8 mini jack to 1/4 guitar jack cord from the laptop headphone jack to the front input on my Fender Twin for several years now without any problems.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 5:22 pm    

I use a 1/8 inch from the headphone jack with a 1/4 inch phone on the other end, into any amp I want to use. I had to use a ground lift on my laptop power cord because I would get a ground hum everytime I used the lap top. It might not be safe, but it works for me. Larry