The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra pedal steel
Kurt Schrotenboer

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2012 10:19 am    

If you are on the road performing for a living a late model Sierra is the way to go. You want to have a psg that stays in tune and doesn't break down, plays, feels and sounds the same in every venue.

Second ...if your like me you may want to play what your teacher has. In my case that's a Session S12 - Joe Wright. Hey if you can't handle the 12 strings then remove the 2 lower ones.

Machine head tuner looks ...pffft ...big deal ...go for the keyless ...because they will keep your psg in tune and don't wear out. Ask any 6 string electric player what is better and they will say the same. Machine head tuners all have the one flaw ...and that is the person who puts on the strings. There is a way to lock the string so it won't move ...after a bit of stretching. A keyless will not go out of tune if the clamps are tightened properly. Compare a Fender Strat with any guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge and you will find out that a string locking bridge and locking string nut is superior.

If you want to go for looks then use some lighter fluid and set your rig on fire and play it with your teeth. Laughing

-------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone has a under carriage diagram for the Sierra Session S12 and or good pictures of the bell cranks, pull rods and knee lever configuration please pm me ...also looking for spare parts - model SCM.12S.2115.99

Boss BR1600
1971 Marshall Super Tremolo
ASCAP member
www.accordionkeyboardservice.com

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 7:04 am     Can Anyone Identify This Sierra 12 String?

Can someone identify this 12 string Sierra for me?

I was told it is an 81' model that was originally a universal but has been changed to a straight Emmons setup extended E9 with 3 & 5

Someone removed the decals.

I've heard the names Sierra Crowns, Sierra Sessions, etc..., but I don't know what this one is called.

Here are some pics and any help and information on this guitar will be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys,
John in Ohio

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 7:47 am    

That looks to be a keyed Crown Series S12 3x5.
Looks to be in good shape.
Looking at the endplate photo, it looks like a basic E9'th setup, (with possibly a lever that lowers string-6 and raises string-1).
I don't see any raise/lower rods for string-12, so I would ask if there are any other rods/linkage/hardware that goes with it.
I would also ask if there are any other pickups that go with it, as it appears to have Sierrs's modular pickup system.
You could always get the needed hardware to add more changes from Jim at Steel Guitar of North County.
You could play a alot of music on that steel.
I can't tell if there are 3 switches or not...it may have/had a built in distortion circuit switch, a 3-position pickup switch, and/or a tone knob/switch, as some Crown Series steels have/had.

Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 5:15 pm    

After some years, I was able to obtain a keyless Sierra Session D10. It has 8 floor pedals and 7 knee levers. The setup is almost the same as Sierra's standard but with a few tweaks and compensations. The guitar plays easily, stays in tune, and doesn't break strings. At 84, I've thought about selling but even though I no longer play gigs, I can't bring myself to part with it.

The name stencil was damaged on a gig and was totally removed in this picture. However, David Wright helped me to obtain a new one from Sierra.

Here it is in its case with a Nashville 1000 loaded in my gig wagon.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2014 1:57 am    

Nice to see this back Very Happy ...

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2014 5:52 am    

The Sierra Crowns are great guitars! Sierra has nice machined aluminum knobs to replace the pesky, breakable (and painful!) plastic ones.

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2014 9:22 pm     Sierra S10

Here is mine. I have posted it elsewhere some time ago, but I think it belongs here just as well.

I am the third owner, the other two rarely practised, so the machine is very little used.
I reckon it had less than 150 hours on the clock when I got it. Thats is about 3 months playing.
I only had to drive about 50 kms to get it.

It is a '92 model and plays well. I have another Wallace True Tone pickup. The latches on the case are still perfect.
So overall, a very decently designed playable pedal steel, still going strong.

Let the games begin.
Wink

Gary LaForge

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 3:30 pm    

I hope no one minds me posting to this thread almost a year after the previous post. I retired recently and my research led me to this thread. I wanted to know how Harlow fit into the Sierra picture. I appreciate all the amazing info provided. Thanks.

Like at least one other member in this thread, I bought my Sierra from Blackie Taylor. He told me it was "the Cadillac of pedal steels". I should have bought a single E9. Never got past beginner on E9 and never learned anything on C6. As someone else pointed out, the beast is extremely heavy. I had to hoist it into the hatchback of my 77 Honda Civic for gigs - most of which were one-night-stands. I see some genius eventually figured out the cases should have wheels! Wink

[/img]

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 6:51 pm    

beautiful butt kicking guitars....

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 1:43 am    

Holy cow, Damir - your pics are always first rate, but that is one beautiful steel guitar!
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 5:03 am    

Will Cowell wrote:
Holy cow, Damir - your pics are always first rate, but that is one beautiful steel guitar!

and this one was loaded, I believe it had 9 pedals and 9 knee levers, interesting enough, it didn't sell on the forum, but on eBay to some young dobro player who loved it, and bought it to play some experimental music... absolutely stunning guitar that was...

Derek Puckett

Cookeville Tn
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 9:05 pm    

Does any one know when they changed from tuning key gearless to 3/16 hex. I'm also looking for a George l pick up for my 12 if anyone has one.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 8:15 am    

I think they made the change from keys to hex in the 84-85 era.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 8:43 am    

I don't think the hex tuners lasted very long. I bought a new Crown gearless in '82 and a Session gearless in '98 (approximate). The tuning head style had changed, but neither required a hex tool.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 10:51 am     Sierra Pedals Steels

I'm gonna make this post because these guitars are better than absolutely great.

Yeah, they are on the heavy side, but a piano is heavier.

I guess that my 35 years in the world of precision at BOEING, made me a natural customer for a SIERRA Pedal Steel Guitar. Sierra makes a precision guitar.

My last one, the one I have now, was made in the late 70s, early 80s I think, because the legs go thru the cabinet adapters. It plays like a new one & looks like one too.

Yay for Sierra...

Last edited by Charley Bond on 11 Mar 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 5:18 am    

Had several Keyless U-12 guitars and liked them very much. Wish I had a chance to play a keyed Sierra. Had a nice variety of pickups to choose from and always found a comfortable pedal and knee lever adjustment.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 6:36 am     Sierra Steel

I love my SD-12 and play it on gigs when possible. It plays and stays in tune, sounds great and is very precision-built instrument. Too bad they're out of production but I understand why. So many great instruments to choose from today and building and selling pedal steel guitars is a labor of love. Here's me and guitarist Rick McRae at a recent gig at the Broken Spoke. If you can find one, go for it--the prices are usually very reasonable as they're not collectible as PP Emmons guitars are--not yet anyway. You won't be disappointed. I think they are unique and cool looking. They don't look like every other guitar and they do have a quality about them that's obvious at a glance.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 9:43 am    

Gotta put mine up! Smile

I also have an early/mid '60s (I think!) Sierra D-8 all cable pedal steel that I'm rebuilding. Love me some Sierra!

Laura Garson

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 2:30 pm    

Hi Ive got a Sierra SN and love to play it but after I changed the strings out some of the pedals and knee lever s where untunable ??????? Can any one inform me of why this happened and what I can do?? I sure miss playing ,Any thoughts ? Thanks Laura Shocked

Laura Garson

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 2:30 pm    

Hi Ive got a Sierra SN and love to play it but after I changed the strings out some of the pedals and knee lever s where untunable ??????? Can any one inform me of why this happened and what I can do?? I sure miss playing ,Any thoughts ? Thanks Laura Shocked

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 2:33 pm    

Different string gauges?

Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2022 7:12 pm     Sierra

Here's an Olympic I picked up this summer!

Tom Pittman

Asheville, NC USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 1:01 pm    

I just traded for a Sierra S12 extended E9. Can anyone help me with any information as to age and model name? Also, what gauges would strings 11 and 12 be?
Photos coming soon.
Thanks

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 1:10 pm    

here's Tom's Sierra

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 1:38 pm    

Here is my Sierra 12 String lap steel. Absolutely gorgeous rich tone. Probably one of the best sounding laps I've ever owned. This is one of only two made. HowardR owns the other one.