The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra pedal steel
Paul Foster

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 3:02 pm    

I dont find much written about these guitar,s!! even their web-site leaves a lot to be desired does anyone have an idea why the information is so limited, they are`not cheap. I am trying to get some info prior to a potential purchase, Thanks a Bunch Question Question Question

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 4:02 pm    

Sierra made some nice guitars. A little out of the ordinary, but decent axes, nevertheless. They were at their highest popularity back in the late '70s, as I remember. Then later on, they lost a lot of public interest when they just folded up and went out of business for several years. They've only recently gotten back into the game, but their popularity hasn't really reached what their former levels were. I figure some of the reason they haven't really "caught on" is that their focus is keyless guitars, which still aren't really popular. So many new keyed instruments are appearing (I think there's been about a dozen new names pop up in the last 10 years) that it's hard for a keyless design to get much attention.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 4:09 pm    

Search for Tom Baker on the forum and email him - should be able to answer your questions. Sierras are quality guitars, made in Molalla, Oregon. Many feature the quick-change modular pickup feature, which is really helpful in the studio. Solidly built, very well-thought-out instruments!

There are also some numbers here:
http://www.sierrasteels.com/pages/contact.html

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 4:20 pm    

I own an old Sierra Olympic S-12 and a Sierra 8-string non-pedal. For many years I played a Sierra Crown and then a Sierra Session as my main guitar. They are excellent instruments in every respect, in my opinion. I only switched to Williams because I wanted to play a crossover, and Sierra doesn't make one.

Bart Reed

Clarksville,Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 4:02 am    

Paul, I have an '81 Sierra Crown D-10, keyed model, and I absolutely love it. It plays very smoothly, has tons of sustain, and I personally love the tone of the Sierras. I would love to give a new geared Session a try, but that is not in the cards right now. I had asked essentially the same question you are asking not too long ago on this same forum, and b0b was kind enough to post some links to his recordings that were made on the Sierras he has used in the past. Do a search on Sierra under the "Pedal Steel" section, it should be there.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 5:25 am    

Nice Sierra sounds Here and Here

Pete Finney with David Peterson has played Sierras for many years and it would be hard to argue with the tone he gets. I'm sure he has something to do with the sound. Smile

Russ

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 5:58 am    

Sierra, along with other keyless steels, has never received a very warm reception in the "a steel guitars gotta-look-this-way" community.

Sierra transitioned from the Crown Series to the Session Series a few years back and had to over come some tech problems at the time...long since corrected. That coupled with their financial restructuring and not enough promotion has left them on the edges of the steel market.

They are very much "in business" and build one of the finest steels availabe today. Tom Bakers tech support is second to none.

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 6:42 am     Sierra PSGs

There was a time when Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, Herby Wallace, Gene O'Neil, Bill Stafford, Joe Wright, and other "names" played Sierras. Joe still does. I have several of the Session series.

When Don Christensen owned Sierra, it was an extension of his machine shop which did work for Boeing among others. Boeing cut back drastically, and Don thought about retirement. Sold to a chap that blew it...bye bye Sierra as was. There was an auction...a chap from Washington bought the CNC machinery etc, hired Tom Baker, who had done the assembly for Don C, and set up in Molalla OR. Tommy B is the man.

The "PSG's gotta look like this" crowd are slow to change = square instant leveling legs collet mounted instead of screw ons...keyless option, aluminum extrusion body (mica covered), predrilled for easy expansion, interchangeable pickups, and a bunch of other goodies.

They are one of the few that make a 14 string unit...thanks to Bill Stafford. Bill switched to Excel when Sierra cut back.

The Session series holds it's own with anything out there for engineering, sound, stability, easy of setup modification.

Check out their website for the unit I had them make for me when they reopened.

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 12:56 pm    

I moved from a Fender 1000 to a Sierra in the early 70's which I purchased from Taylor Music (Blackie Taylor). It is Black, the outside neck has 12-strings, the inside neck 10-strings. Also has removable pickups. 9-pedals, and 4-knee levers.
I don't know what this model was called. This guitar fulfilled all my needs and I never moved up to later model guitars. It very rarily broke strings, stayed in tune and I could get a good tone out of it. The only negative is the the Guitar is very heavy and not easy to move around when it is set up.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 3:55 pm    

That is Joe Wright's main guitar.
And it sounds good.

Chris Lang

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2009 5:37 am    

Donny wrote:
Quote:
I figure some of the reason they haven't really "caught on" is that their focus is keyless guitars, which still aren't really popular. So many new keyed instruments are appearing (I think there's been about a dozen new names pop up in the last 10 years) that it's hard for a keyless design to get much attention.

Huh?.......

which still aren't really popular

Hmmmm. I beg to differ. In fact the keyless design is becoming more and more popular. Especially when you consider all the advantages it has to offer. (much less string breakage being only one)

David Bolin

Harrisburg, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 5:09 pm    

I have a 1985 S-10 Sierra. The Sierra steels are almost bullet proof, they stay in tune, they are quick to set up with the folding legs, and they have the quick change pickups.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 3:04 pm    

Chris Lang wrote:
Donny wrote:
Quote:
I figure some of the reason they haven't really "caught on" is that their focus is keyless guitars, which still aren't really popular. So many new keyed instruments are appearing (I think there's been about a dozen new names pop up in the last 10 years) that it's hard for a keyless design to get much attention.

Huh?.......

which still aren't really popular

Hmmmm. I beg to differ. In fact the keyless design is becoming more and more popular. Especially when you consider all the advantages it has to offer. (much less string breakage being only one)

Chris, until you can come up with some type of data to the contrary, my contention is that they're not really popular yet. I've seen very few keyless steels at steel shows, and I'd have to guess that probably only 10% of the players out there currently use them. Couple that with the fact that (try as I might), I can't think of more than 3 or 4 major builders nowadays that even make the things....and you may not agree, but at least you'll have a little insight into why I drew such a conclusion, and made that statement.

Considering that keyless models have been around well over 30 years now, and that their proponents can list many "advantages" that they have, I would have expected them to be far more visible than they are now.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 4:51 pm    

I think the term "visual" is the main root for the lack of popularity. The current manufactures, Sierra, GFI, and Excel have a very "modern, sort of art-deco: look to them. Williams, Lamar, BMI, and Lone Star offer a slightly more traditional look...as far as they can with a keyless head. Its still a case of "It don't look like no steel guitar to me"! Most potential new players want to "fit" into the herd, so they steer clear of anything not considered traditional, regardless of possible mechanical advantages which they are not familar with.[/i]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 5:24 pm    

The debate about keyless guitars has been hashed out many times in other threads. Let's keep this one focused on the topic of Sierra steel guitars, okay? Rolling Eyes

By the way, neither of my Sierras are keyless.

Chris Lang

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 5:28 pm    

Quote:
The debate about keyless guitars has been hashed out many times in other threads. Let's keep this one focused on the topic of Sierra steel guitars, okay?

Indeed. Point taken.

Gary Cole

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 2:43 pm    

Like all new students of this instrument I am trying to figure out which instrument to start with. Consideration is being given to a Sierra "Artist" series. Wasn't able to find much out so I called Tom Baker at Sierra. It took several days for us to connect but it was well worth it. A wealth of information re: the Artist and other series as well as PSG's in general. Still haven't made up my mind about my first guitar, but I hope that whichever company I decide on, they are as friendly and helpful as Tom Baker was today. Very Happy

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 3:35 pm    

My first steel was a Sierra Artist. It allowed me to focus on playing the guitar instead of constantly monkeying around with the underside. Never had any problems, fully adjustable, easier to lug around compared to the Session or Crown. This is a D-10 5 and 8 with all the standard changes. On rare occasions, I would need a part and call Tom, he would offer to send for free, but typically the parts were things available at a good hardware store for less than a buck. So it was easier and quicker just to go to the hardware store. Although I bought the guitar used off the forum here (it was 4 years old when I got it), Tom always treated me like I bought the guitar in person from him.

I bought a Zum this year, but the Artist is a back-up and has all the same E9th changes on the same levers as my Zum. The only difference is there are a few extra levers on the Zum on my C6th.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 9:14 pm    

One of my steels is a Sierra Crown Gearless. Tri-Pole pickups,and great bright tone. It's heavy,and that's why I leave it at church to play.If you are looking to buy a Sierra,and it's in great shape, you'll certainly enjoy the tone,and its playability. Very Happy

Richard Isenberg

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 4:46 am    

years ago a friend of mine in the dalles ore. we played diffrent clubs said he was going to portland to by a chuck wright steel he had been to a covention in nashville and thought it was best at the time so i thought i would by a wright so saved my money and ordered one a few years later when i got it it was a
sierra had metal name tag model SDO-12 s/n D12-251-8
it was built by Harlow Manufacturing Gresham oregon i took delivery in 78
it stays in tune and don't brake strings the eye of
the string slip in a slot instead of over a pin i'm
73 still own the guitar and play at home everyday
Dick

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 4:31 pm     sierra

I demand a lot from a steel -- in the manner of multiple strings operating on one pedal, and using multiple pedals/levers simultaneously. Sierra is definitely superior. I own two.

Aaron Wayne

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 10:52 am    

Can anyone help me identify what kind of Sierra I have? It's a D10, keyless, without the folding legs.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 10:57 am    

Sounds like the later Session series. Got a pic to post? That's a sure way for us to identify your model.

Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 11:01 am    

Can you post some pics?

Aaron Wayne

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 11:35 am    

I'm such and old fuddy duddy, I do have a digital camera, but I'll be damned if I have a clue on how to take a picture and post it. Can I describe it to you instead?