The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering birthdays instead of death days
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 3:42 pm    

You know, I've always felt funny about remembering great people on the anniversary of their death. Seems like we should be celebrating their birthdays instead of the date they died. And for the families of those departed in recent years, it would seem a little better for them to be reminded of those many happy birthdays, rather than that one sad day when they died. Just a thought.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 4:53 pm    

I have to agree. I try to stay away from those threads, although a couple of players will always draw my attention no matter what type of thread it is.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 8:30 am    

I understand your point, but it's truly an honor for someone to be remembered, outside of their immediate family circle, be it on their birthday or passing.

Maybe it's the finality of it all that makes us recall. It is easier to remember what you were doing the day JFK died, rather than what you may have been doing on any one of his several birthdays.

In commerating someone's passing, e.g. recently Don Rich, we remember and talk about how they lived, not so much how they died.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 3:24 pm     Re: Remembering birthdays instead of death days

David Doggett wrote:
You know, I've always felt funny about remembering great people on the anniversary of their death. Seems like we should be celebrating their birthdays instead of the date they died. And for the families of those departed in recent years, it would seem a little better for them to be reminded of those many happy birthdays, rather than that one sad day when they died. Just a thought.

Good point, David - and I agree with the other comments, as well.

On a slightly different note, I once heard a speaker talking about what he considered prolonged grieving. Realizing that the grief process is very personal, he said to ask ourselves if the deceased would want his/her death to shut you down from feeling any joy or happiness after they're gone. He also asked to consider if prolonged emphasis on how the person died - maybe even anger about the circumstances of someones death could be standing in the way of celebrating your loved ones life - and ultimately finding peace. In essence, he was saying that your loved ones life shouldn't be defined by their death. Many people don't feel right giving themselves "permission" to have peace after someone close dies, but the speaker urges us to think about what your loved one would think about you being tied up in knots with anger and bitterness.

Whether someone is honored on the anniversary of their birth, or honored on the anniversary of their death, it IS an honor to remember them with peace, love and gratitude for the precious moments together in this life.
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 9:21 pm    

Good idea. Here's one for today:

Happy birthday, Mr. Garcia

John McGlothlin

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 11:29 am    

I can't remember what TV show I heard this or what movie but I love how it was said "Life is just a short stop on a long train ride."

Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 11:24 am    

Just a thought.... http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes+7:1 Very Happy