The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cinco de Mayo in Dewey, AZ
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 9:16 pm    

Cinco de Mayo (spanish for the 5th of May) is the Mexican equivalent of our 4th of July. Each year there are several celebrations, especially in the SouthWest to commemorate the occasion. Again this year, there will be ONE HUGE jam in Dewey, Az, just south of Prescott on Hiway 69 at the La Fiesta Restaurant. Last year we had dozens of pickers, several full bands, and no less than 4 steel players. Starting about noon, we will be in the outdoor patio area. Temps are expected in the high 80s so it should be a great day. This year we will be saluting the late Jimmy Chappell, who has hosted this event for the past several years; he passed away from cancer 2 weeks ago. Everyone is invited, play if you like, listen if you like, dance, just generally have a great time. Come up and say hi to me, I'll be playing steel for most of the day. It will be on Sunday, May 5th. Come and see us.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 10:31 pm    

Sorry to hear about Jimmy Chappell. If I hadn't moved about 1300 miles from Arizona we'd try to make it on down. Sounds like a great time. FWIW to anyone, although in the U.S.A. everyone thinks of Cinco de Mayo as the Mexican Independence day, it isn't. Mexican Independence Day (El Día de Independencia) is celebrated September 15 and 16, and happened originally in 1810 when winning the war against Spain. Cinco de Mayo is the celebration of winning the war against France in 1862. In Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is not as big a celebration as the Día de Independencia. Just so y'all know.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 02 May 2002 at 11:38 PM.]

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 1:30 pm    

Regards to all there. Wish I could make this event. It is a grand show. Jimmy will be missed, may he rest in peace.
Billy, give my regards to all my friends there and tell Ed Packard to keep it on the straight and narrow.
Give Cheryl Poole a hug and kiss from me.
And this is the best Mexican restaurant this side of Tchouticabouffa, Mississippi.

Bill Stafford

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 8:46 pm    

Got back from Dewey and it was great. Two steels and three players. No, there was no sitting on another's lap. Billy's Zum was shared and Bob Adams brought his black Mullen. It was a very nice program and not one to be missed. A lot of good singers, pickers and as usual, Three Wheel Drive was at their best with Billy Easton handling the steel duties. Super playing by a sweet guy and selling his new CD "Feelin' Groovy" with a liner note from the great Speedy West, my first steel hero. Thanks again Billy.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 9:02 am    

Bill and Gary...
Thanks for the kind words....what a blast we
had. Tired from nearly 3 days of playing, but contented. Great to see so much particiapation. One correction Gary, it was
Bob Allen with the Mullens, who helped me out
immensely by giving this old man a break from
steel duties. Bill, sorry you missed it (as did Ed). Ed did stop by in Rye at the club
we were working on Saturday night. Maybe you can all make it next year, and bring your guitars.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 7:12 pm    

Billy, I did say Adams when I meant to say Allen and I apologize to Bob. We had a wonderful time talking to him. He has a very colorful past playing with many country stars and on the Opry and we both wanted to continue to recall some wonderful times we have experienced. He said he was 70 but he played a lot younger than that. I hope at 70 I still have it together. Thanks Billy.

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 May 2002 6:22 am    

Billy Bob,sorry Dixie and I missed you in Dewey.We played the Cinco De Maio party
in Chandler.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

[This message was edited by Ray Jenkins on 08 May 2002 at 07:24 AM.]

Bob Allen

Apache Jct, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2002 10:54 pm    

Hi Billy, Thanks for the invite to play at dewey with you and all those other great player. I had a wonderful time.But I apolagize for getting a little loud. I was thilled to meet so many steel player at one table. Also I talked with Gary walker for a long time.He"s one neet guy sorry to hear he'smoving to Calif, But thats not to far away. Anyway I had a great time looking forward to next time thanks again Bill. Bob

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 11 May 2002 8:09 pm    

Bob, in my estimation, you were not too loud and my darlin wife Christine said to tell you that you were just right and at times, not loud enough. Hope we can make it back next year and hear some more great playing by you and Billy and any others than can make it, thanks, Gary.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2002 7:33 pm    

Gary, Bob, Ray....Thanks to all you guys for your support. Bob you did not play too loud and you did a great job. As Gary said, sometimes not loud enough. Ray, we missed you, and look forward to having you pick next year. Gary, it would be great to have you there with your D11 Mullens....you play so well. What a great bunch of guys. Thanks for coming out and supporting us. And Walker, next time bring your guitar.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ