The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Cage Gear Stolen.
Brad Burch

Post  Posted 2 May 2002 7:46 am    

I just got this email from Buddy Cage. Terrible turn of events. Everyone keep an eye out for that "unique" steel:

5/2/02 11:22:53 AM

Last night our van was broken into – all my equipment has been stolen.
Everything I own basically, is gone. I have nothing left with which to play any
more jobs. All gigs are canceled until further notice.

It’s truly heartbreaking, what just happened. I now have no way of earning a
living anymore. If anything turns up please call me. 860.460.8054 (c )

Peace,

Buddy

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 7:53 am    

That's terrible news, Brad. Please forward any other information you get and I'll pass it on. Do you know where the theft took place? Is there a police department following up on this matter who should be contacted?

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 8:13 am    

That's really a bummer!
I hope Buddy's gear is located and returned soon. It shouldn't be that hard to spot a HILT guitar with 14 knee levers.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 8:24 am    

Big Fan of Buddy Cage (NRPS), I only remember him playing an Emmons. Nevertheless, would it be possible on this forum to have a section where we could list the Steel Guitars that have been stolen. Maybe have follow ups and an individual could put links to pictures so we could all help in finding this equip.I'm clueless how big a job this would be, but it would sure be nice to go to this site if any of us are ever approached with a suspicious deal...etc.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 8:54 am    

This is terrible news. Where was Buddy when the break-in happened? Knowing what part of the country might help concentrate the search efforts.

Post  Posted 2 May 2002 9:15 am    

Hey Buddy-We've never met but I've played Bluegrass with Dave Nelson and with some others you've worked with. Your playing was a big influence on me in the 70's. I'd be glad to loan you a guitar and amp. My D-10 is in Florida but I have an MSA S-12 in NJ you could use. Also a Twin reverb.Dave

Brad Burch

Post  Posted 2 May 2002 10:30 am    

Here is a list of what was stolen and where(NY):

It was in our minivan parked on the southside of 13th Street - 1/8 block east of 1St. Av. Most of the stuff
has my B.CAGE stencil on it - except for the steel guitar case which was a grey/furry kind of covering.
The steel inside is unmistakable. Double Neck 12-String/10 pedals on the floor/14Knee Levers. 90 lbs.
in the case. Assorted cases w/seats, electronic equipment, etc. Large Anvil PURPLE case w/Fender Twin
Amp inside.

1.Double neck – 12 String – Pedal Steel Guitar – 10 pedals on the floor (cast in the shape of the
letter "D")/14 knee levers

Wood body/Inlays galore – Sperzel tuning pegs

2.Purple Anvil Road Case housing a Fender Twin Reverb amp (New Riders/B.CAGE stencil
markings)

– Dead backstage/onstage passes on wood face of Twin body

3.Flambeaux Tool Chest (gray body w/clear plastic top/lid) 100 things inside to play my jobs
wit/incl. Picks & bar, BossTone, Boss Tuner, strings, cordless drill, etc.
4.Black/Yellow Sears Craftsman Tool Kit w/multiple items for guitar/amp.
5.Aluminum Road Case – 3’x2’x8" – used to hold old British drum stool (2 pieces) and Goodrich
volume pedal – cords, gaffer tape

6) Smaller black road case – 2’x1’x4" – w/multiple analog FX boxes

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 10:45 am    

Eyes are WIDE open, guaranteed. This stuff will turn up.

****ed Up!

Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 10:52 am    

Probably a good time to get a camera and take pics of our music gear. Jot down the serial #'s and record them on a diskette.
Scan pics of music gear on to a file on a pc just in case a misfortune like this or any other should happen.

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 11:38 am    

When I read something like this it literally turns my stomach.There are so many scum sucking sorry ass S.O.B.'s out running around that have nothing better to do than destroy someone's way of trying too make a living playing music and looses all his tools really sucks.I am seriously hurting for you guys.I pray you will recover everything and get too see the ones who done this hang.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 12:14 pm    

I had a steel stolen in Brooklyn way back when.. It eventually turned up at a music store across the street from Mannys' on 48th.
That's the first place i'd spread the word.
I'd also keep an eye on all the local pawn shops.
My guess is Buddys' gear never travels much further than a couple of miles from where it was ripped off from.
In case it does i'll keep my eyes open
across the river.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 12:17 pm    

This kind of stuff tears me up. Back in 1988 my truck was stolen out of the driveway of my house with my entire band's gear in it, over 12 grand worth of equipment. Included was a 1982 Emmons D10 that was custom built for me and was one sweet horn.

The crime was committed by addicts, as we later found out from some stuff recovered by the cops. The idea is that some poor soul (when I'm feeling generous)/scumbag lowlife (when I'm pissed off) feels its more important to take away someones livelihood that he spent years working to pay for, so the thief can pawn it for pennies on the dollar just so he can get high for a couple of minutes.

This crap makes me want to legalize narcotics and have the government distribute them to these addicts, like the British system. It would cost less to our economic system than the property and casualty loss costs of the insurance industry. If their (the addicts) own greed and irresponsibility causes them to overdose, well, that's the consequences of their actions, isn't it?

Well, I feel heartless right now, but I'm angry as hell. I've been ripped off like this several times, actually. Fortunately, I've had backup systems. But the loss of bucks and how much I had to work to get the equipment paid for really hits home.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 3:47 pm    

This is a real bummer to hear about...I hate it... BUT, given the location, the extreme one of a kind Steel that it is, I somehow feel this guitar is going to turn up and back in Buddy's hands. I can't imagine any pawn dealer or shop dealer or any third party re-seller holding on to this axe. My hopes are high for a return..
tp

Dave Long

Charlotte, N.C.
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 6:19 pm    

Buddy's gear was very unique. His amp & speakers had been part of the Dead's "wall of sound". Altough it showed many years of road duty, his rig had some pretty historical & sentimental value to it... who can replace a piece of musical history?

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 6:47 pm    

I hope they catch the S.O.B. and then take his ear and stick it right to the Amp and turn the Volumn all the way up and hit the loudest string and blow his ear drums out.See if he gets a charge out of that.I hope buddie gets all his gear back as it runs into a lot of money and time.Our prayers are with Buddy
Sam White

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 9:02 pm    

Make sure you file a police(theft)report and give them real specific information as to the make, model & serial number if available of your equipment.Also provide distinguising marks or characteristics of things stolen. This equipment will probably end up in a pawn shop. If the laws are the same in your state, MN requires all pawn shops to supply weekly lists of all transactions to the local PD. This info. is then routinely disseminated or faxed to other agencies detectives or investigations units hooked into the crime bulletin fax lists. It does work! Buddy, I hope you get ALL your gear back in one piece. Years ago I enjoyed your show at the St. Croix Boom Co. in Stillwater!

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 5:58 am    

Buddy,
I've got a very Classic MSA Classic D12 ..but with only 8/4..and an ancient Randle amp that you could borrow to at least play some gigs..if you can get close to east Tennessee. I've been there Buddy and know how it feels.. If you want to get them let me know Phone 423 357 3506 or Grouchyvettn@msn.com
GV

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 2:04 pm    

I recently got a cool guitar I'd wanted for a while and had it initialized where only me and one other guy knows to look. It definitely is a good time to take pictures of your gear and mark the stuff so you can positively identify it if you get the chance. That horn of Buddys may stay gone for a while but will probably turn up eventually. I didn't catch what brand it is.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 9:26 am    

Guys, I just need a few more contributors to reach the $2,000.00 goal for Buddy's replacement equipment relief drive. Are we just hot air, or does this forum really mean something? I'll take anything. I've got people who contributed $10.00 and people who contributed $150.00. Some as far away as Germany. Please, Buddy needs help! Lets show him that we really care! I'm at $1,200.00 in pledges. I need $800.00 more. Look in your hearts.

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 7 May 2002 10:16 pm    

Frank--Buddy told me his guitar started life as an Emmons, but was later converted into its present form. It has Dekley pedals on it also, which will help identify it.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2002 5:52 am    

Emmett, I'm afraid you misunderstood Buddy. He used to play a D-12 purple Emmons. If I remember correctly it got stolen too.

Just before I left Dekley and moved to Texas in 1980, Larry Hilt and I designed and built a few custom guitars based on Dekley parts, called the H&S Custom Signature model. We chromed all the metal parts and black anodized all the custom machined aluminum five hole pullers, pedal pulls, knee lever brackets, etc. We used highly figured birdseye maple, walnut, rosewood, etc. veneers and inlaid wood bindings and decorative wood designs. My name is in the front panel of mine and even engraved in each tuning peg. Larry built himself a 12 string on a double body and I built a D-12 with 10&12.

When I left, Larry continued on with his designs and modifications and built Buddy Cage's guitar under the Hilt name.

I'm not sure what enhancements Larry made after I left, but Buddy's guitar definitely did not "start life as an Emmons".

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@charter.net
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-13 8&8=-