The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  drums
Michael Brewer

Carrollton, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 6:01 pm    

I just loaded band-in-a-box into my lap top and everything works fine except there are no drums. I can mute the bass, piano and guitar but the drum mute doesn't work in either direction. I have tried all the different styles but the drums are absent in all of them.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 8:02 pm    

Mike ,

I don't know the answer but...

Most likely you have drums de-selected (radio button)some how, or muted.

What sound driver are you using?

From OPTS /Main menu you can check it. I use Roland VSC

Also check OPTS / MIDI channel options .Drums on 10
and ensure the volume is up.

Most likely you have drums de-selected some how or muted.

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:26 am     Re: drums

Michael Brewer wrote:
I just loaded band-in-a-box into my lap top and everything works fine except there are no drums. I can mute the bass, piano and guitar but the drum mute doesn't work in either direction. I have tried all the different styles but the drums are absent in all of them.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Check the BIAB file(s) you are loading. If the drums are Real Tracks (Drums at the top will be in GREEN) you may need to check your audio card volume settings to hear them.

You can change any Real drum to a MIDI drum setting.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:32 am    

Gary,
I had to change my real drums to MIDI drums.
The kick off beats were so faint that I couldn't hear them. Too bad, because I really liked the real drums. Sad

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 7:30 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Gary,
I had to change my real drums to MIDI drums.
The kick off beats were so faint that I couldn't hear them. Too bad, because I really liked the real drums. Sad

If you could hear them at all then it is a setting in the "Audio Card" settings. You may be able to right click on the little speaker in the bottom of the system tray (bottom right corner of your Monitor when at the Desktop).

That should bring up a screen that you can adjust the maximum audio out on differnt audio outputs. Just play with that and you may be able to bring the Drum audio up to a usable level.

You can also go to "Control Panel" then "Hardware and sounds" and then find your audio card and its "volume control". Adjust the various levels as above.

If that still does not give you enough volume that you can buy some speakers with a built in amplifyer and "boost" the sound using the speakers amplification. Many laptops are a little week in the audio department.
Good luck. Gary

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 7:39 am    

Gary,
I can hear them on my computer but when I burn them onto a CD, that's when I have a problem.
I make up gospel tab and sometimes a pedaler also wants a tracks CD to go along with it.
I need a distinct kick off beat so had to go with the MIDI drums.

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 8:04 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Gary,
I can hear them on my computer but when I burn them onto a CD, that's when I have a problem.
I make up gospel tab and sometimes a pedaler also wants a tracks CD to go along with it.
I need a distinct kick off beat so had to go with the MIDI drums.

Totally different issue::: Shocked

The "Kick Off" is comming from the MIDI track and I don't think it is being played by the Real Drums.

Since you are copying all of this to a CD you should save the song when you are done as a BATCH FILE.

That saves the song and Audio as a "set" otherwise the Audio is in a different file.

The only way to get a kick off sound that I know of would be to record the sound in the correct tempo, use an audio editor like Audio Pro9, Sonor etc. and pre-pend it to the BIAB Audio file prior to burning it to CD. Not very pretty!

If I get a chance this week I'll see if I can come up with a better way.

One thought would be to use the "Solo" channel and pick an instrument that has a usable tone. Set it to play a "2 measure intro" with a style that plays quarter notes for 4 beats and then set out the rest of the song.

A little clugey but it should work. You might have to build the "Intro Style" but that would be easy as there is not much to it.

Good luck.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 8:19 am    

Gary,
I've been thinking about doing the "intro" thing.
The way I have been doing it with the kick off beats, if there are a couple of pickup notes prior to the first full measure, you have to be on the ball to know when to come in.
With "real" drums, the kick off beats are usually done with the drummer clicking his sticks together, not very distinct.