The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What brand of finger picks do you use?
Charlie Silliman

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 5:02 am    

Since I got no response from my earlier post, I thought I would try another angle. I would be interested in knowing what brand of finger picks (thumb, as well) you use. In addition, what is the distance between the end of your fingers and the end of the picks. As a new player, I am trying to find a combination that will allow me to pick properly and not have the back of the pick on my 3rd finger catch on the string I am attemping to pick. This all gets into right hand position, which, I suppose, is a matter for another post. In any event, I appreciate, in advance, any responses that are offered.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 6:06 am    

I use ProPiks and blue Hercos. I suggest you try bending your finger picks various experimental ways until you find something that feels right. Everybody likes something different. I have mine with the lowest part of the wrap at the bottom of my nails. The pick itself is bent so that it almost touches my finger tip and extends about 1/8" above my finger. I also twist them so they hit the string at a slight angle.

Once you get 'em where you want 'em, guard 'em with your life.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 7:31 am    

All I use are the old NATIONALS. Circa: 50's, early 60's. I just broke the last of my old thumb picks, that had a longer tine than most. Sad Just using the Dunlop Calico, now, and have to get used to the slightly shorter tine.

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 8:20 am     Picks

I use what ever picks I can "steel" Very Happy . I really liked the JF Newman finger picks and the Herco Blue thumb pics.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 9:17 am    

I still use the Jeff Newman ( JF ) fingerpicks and I like the black GeorgeL thumbpicks.
Hook

Last edited by Hook Moore on 14 Jul 2009 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Bull

Republic, MO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 9:42 am    

I use dunlops that Bill Stroud modifies with his special crome. and use a Zookie for the thumb, supplied also by Bill. By the way, thanks Bill.

Charlie Silliman

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 9:51 am    

Thanks, guys. I'll look into all of those types. I meant to write earlier "...back of the pick on my 3rd finger catch on the string above the one I am attemping to pick"

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 10:06 am    

Old Nationals and L-10 Zookie. Don D.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 10:34 am    

Charlie, if you use bended picks - like most steelers do, you'll have to make a sort of circular movement with the pick so it can't catch. I picked that way for 7-8 years, so it isn't difficult and type of picks don't matter all that much. All it takes is practicing, practicing and more practicing ... etc.

I use straight picks now - have for some 15 years, and straight picks can't catch. One can even pick "in reverse" with them if one wants - pick the higher string. In general I find straight picks more versatile and better suited for my picking styles. Of course: straight picks demand same amount of practicing as bended ones in order to hit right.

Few picks come ready-made that way so one has to straighten them. Can't remember what brand I use now - no marking. They're probably some cheap unbranded ones I picked up somewhere because they looked right. They're very thick, long and inflexible, so after shaping them so they stay firmly on my fingers, I filed them thinner towards the tip for the right angle and a slight flex.
I then hand-polished the tip, finishing with ordinary, hard, paper. That polishing job took around 20 hours a pick, which I think was time well spent. Good, personalized, picks are crucial.

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 10:55 am    

Mainly JF that I got from Jeff and Fran years ago along with the L 20 Zookie thumb picks. They last forever and always keep their shape.

Chris Buchanan

Macomb, IL
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 1:03 pm    

This is the fun equipment chase. I suggest buying several different types of finger and thumb picks. See what you like. Experiment with different ways of bending them. Through trial and error you'll find what is uniquely yours. For me, it's the fake nationals slightly elongated and long bladed Dunlop thumbpicks, although I'd like to try Zookies.
Oh yeah, they come in different thicknesses too. I like 'em sturdy.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 1:25 pm    

I like Kyser Old Style finger picks. They are very similar to old Nationals, and have knurling on the inside surface--not enough to feel rough, but enough to help keep them from falling off, which has always plagued me with the old Nationals, which are my favorites otherwise.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 1:34 pm    

I have a handful of old Nationals that I like very much; however, once I discovered ProPiks a number of years ago, they quickly became my favorite. The angle of the blade is just right for me. I don't use the split wraps.

Ray Kedge

Middlesex, England
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 1:40 pm     Fingerpicks

I like the Kyser fingerpicks and Blue Hercos,both are light don't like heavy gauge picks or large thumpicks.
Does anybody think that different gauged picks have an impact on tone,somebody mentioned that at a gig recently I had never really thought about it.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 1:59 pm    

I've used Jeffs picks since 82!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 3:24 pm    

Stevens (for the last 40 years). Before that, I used Nationals.

Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 4:20 pm    

Hey Charlie, You might try bending the tip of the pick a little closer to your finger. As I remember starting out, using finger picks and trying to pick the correct strings was about the most awkward thing I'd ever done. It's just frustrating at first. Just keep experimenting until you find something comfortable, then just keep practicing. It will get easier. Hang in there! I've been using Jeff Newman Finger Picks and Gateway Thumb Pick.
Then there's the whole blocking thing! Whoa!
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste

Matthew Carlin

Lake County, IL.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 4:52 pm    

I use BJ finger picks ( I think these are now JF picks) and Red Dunlop Thumb picks... I would like to try the perfect touch picks though. They look really comfy.

Fred Nolen

Mohawk, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 5:02 pm     Picks

I also use Jeff Newman's BJ finger picks (I think these were before the JF picks) He called them diamond rings because the holes are diamond shaped. At that time, he also had red thumb picks. The beauty of these were the many different shapes and lengths. I only have a couple of them left and with my fat thumbs, it is difficult to find a pick that fits.

Ol' Fred

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 5:07 pm    

I use a no-name thumbpick that is metalic and rusts where plating has worn off. I usually end up with Dunlop and National finger picks. I currently use Nationals on my pinky, ring, and index fingers, and a Dunlop on my middle finger.

But much of the time I do not use picks when I play Steel. No picks nets a much warmer tone without the bright attack that picks seek to generate.

-E

Last edited by Eugene Cole on 19 Jul 2009 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 5:29 pm    

I use a National thumbpick and Dunlop finger picks.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2009 5:42 pm    

Pro picks and Dunlops, it is also very important to bend and shape the picks to your own finger mould, and taste.
I personally like the pick to land flat as it hit's the string, i played for years where it hit at an angle, but i have since come to dis-like that, so before i play now, i insert the picks and then lay them against strings 5 and 6 and see if they hit straight.

The band peice that bite's into your finger for grip can sometimes catch the opposing string, so i bent mine to an applicable way that works through exsperimenting, and i trained myself to pick with my hand still, and 'rolling ' the fingers in a forward motion.

I am self taught, so take what i say with a 'shot of whiskey!

Lots of great advice on this thread that i am listening to and going to exsperiment.

Ray's pick's that he is using 'kyser' are becoming the rage and he's a very Established player.

Ray Kedge

Middlesex, England
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2009 1:25 am     Fingerpicks

I believe Kysers are the best but having trouble in getting them in the UK,any outlets that you know of either UK or the States.

Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2009 4:04 am    

Ray,
you can order the picks from:

http://www.janetdavismusic.com/

Horst

Lonnie Zsigray

Saint Louis,Mich., USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2009 8:22 am     picks

I use Perfect Touch finger and thumb picks and wouldn't trade them for anything.Most comfortable for me over extended playing periods.