The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leon Richardson Guitarist/Steeler
Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2009 7:17 pm    

Leon's niece (Angie Downs) called me today with the sad news of Leon's passing yesterday. One heck of a musician, Leon played with just about everyone in Nashville at one point or another from the 50's-80's. From Ray Price and Little Jimmy Dickens to The Kenny Pierce Band back in the 80's. David Wright and Leon backed Kenny Pierce at the North 40 for several years and man those two tore it up. He was to guitar what Curly, Reece or Emmons is to Steel. I hope David chimes in to share some of the outstanding times they shared onstage. Leon was not only a fine guitarist, but a decent Steel Player too. Leon was class and the world was a much better place with him here. I will post again when services have been arranged. I'll miss ya Leon. RIP.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2009 5:40 am    

This is very sad news, I spent a lot of time with Leon. We played together 6 nights a week for some time. I learned a lot from him. I just got a recording of him & Curly doing a jam in Vegas from 1964, WOW, Leon never left a note to be played!!!
I always played the first ride, cause if I didn't, there was nothing to follow up what Leon did.. Whoa! He was truly a guitar players guitar player...R.I.P my ol Friend,
Thank's for posting this Steve,

David Wright...........

Ron Wright

Modesto,CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2009 7:07 am    

one of the legends that played around here for sure RIP
Peavey Special 130
Ovation
Gibson 330
boss DD3,DS-1,TU-2,PS-2,Behringer rotary rm600
Goodrich 120,BoBro,RV2,Hilton Vp, Steeldriver3

Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2009 10:40 am    

You are quite welcome David. Angie confirmed Leon suffered a massive heart at 1:00 am Monday. The family was completely unprepared and is struggling to finance his funeral. I am inquiring about an account or such to where donations can be made by friends to help offset or defray expenses.

The services for Leon will be this Saturday July 11th at the Church Of Christ in Hughson CA. It is located on Tully Rd. in Hughson and the services will be held at 11:00 a.m.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 7:35 am    

FYI....

Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 11:23 am     Leon

Many years ago I had the pleasure of playing a grand opening at the Thomas Steel Guitar factory outside Modesto CA. It was just great to get to play with the talents of Leon, David Wright and Larry King on bass guitar.
Many times I saw Leon and his brother playing at the Mint in Las Vegas. They were working with Susie Arden as I remember. They had some of the best twin guitar parts I have ever heard.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 6:39 pm    

Truly one of the finest guitar players I ever knew - right up there with the likes of Hank Garland and Leon Rhodes. I'll see ya one of these days my friend, 'till then, rest in peace.

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2009 10:55 am    

He was really a great guitar player. I got a surprise once when I went into a place he was playing in Stockton. He had injured the thumb of his left hand and was playing a Maverick and sounding really good. I had just bought one and stashed it away because I thought it was junk. It didn't sound like junk when he played it. He showed me a few things on guitar that helped a lot. RIP Bud.

Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2009 12:00 pm    

Mr Petree...I won't forget that night. You boys did some fine twinning and I was glad to finally meet and hear Leon in person. That was in April 1995 and David was there as well. I remember Leon playing an old Fender Jazzmaster that looked pretty rough but sounded wonderful. That was the first time you and I met and was the beginning of a friendship that I value a great deal. Seems like the only time I see you now is at the TSGA....we're just too durn far apart but I'm going to surprise you some night in Bakersfield or Oildale.