The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Michael Jackson died today
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 6:00 pm    

Michael Jackson died today. He did not do my kind of music, but he was one of the greatest entertainers ever. His album "Thriller" sold 50,000,000 copies. May he rest in peace, and may GOD comfort his family. Jody.

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 6:41 pm    

Jody

not meaning to offend you but to many he was a child molestor and a freak...and many think the world is now better off without him

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 7:08 pm    

I think this is a day to dwell on the positive, not the negative. He was the biggest worldwide star since Elvis and he brought a lot of joy to a lot of people in his lifetime. Today I'm thinking about his music, his dancing, his humanitarian efforts... and remembering him as an 11 year old child star. I hope he is remembered for that, and not the other. Love him or hate him, he had a huge impact on the music world. He still has the top selling album of all time and total record sales of over 750 Million! Guinness Book of Records lists Michael Jackson as "The Greatest Entertainer of All Time" Rest in Peace, Michael Jackson.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 8:27 pm    

I don't think MJ had a chance of being a normal person, with a father who controlled and drove his kids to perform. A great many gifted musicians are burdened with demons as bad as his. (Jerry Lee Lewis first wife was a bit too young and too close a relative to marry in my state, and Priscilla was a minor when Elvis took her home.)

MJ was a good singer, a great entertainer, and probably as good a dancer as is humanly possible. And probably as good a person as he could be.

Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 8:30 pm    

I think it is time to dwell on the positive things hes done. For a couple of kids to say he did things, only so their parents could sue for millions...hmmmm if there was more proof he would have been convicted. Looks more like a sitting duck that people could take pot shots at.
Michael Douchette's Franklin; Sho~Bud Fingertip D12; Sho Bud S10 6139 Serial #2911;1973 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface; Fender Cyber Twin; VZ Custom Telecaster; Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst; Epi DOT; Copley Acoustic; Copley Acoustic Bass; Hammond E311 Organ; 1941 Chickering Baby Grand Piano, formerly owned by John Prine; 1921 Chickering Baby Grand 100th Anniv Quarter Grand

Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 8:41 pm    

Whatever he DID or didn't do, he was a brilliant artist. I'm not mourning the loss of him as a parent or as a man, but I do mourn the incredible loss to the music world.

Robbie Crabtree

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 9:24 pm    

I am a Michael Jackson fan and am saddened by his death. No need to discuss whether he did or did not do anything bad. He will have to explain that to a higher power now. I hope his family will be strong and stay together. God Bless Them All

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 9:40 pm    

Calvin Walley wrote:
Jody

not meaning to offend you but to many he was a child molestor and a freak...and many think the world is now better off without him
Grow up Calvin.

This is better than I could say it, from http://fourfour.typepad.com/fourfour/

"Michael Jackson's best songs are pop-culture islands. They're able to exist alone and free of context, which is amazing for the image-inherent world of pop music and especially so being born of someone who wound up so scarred and bizarre. No matter whose bones he collected or whose boner he allegedly fondled, Michael's best pop music is too transcendent to be bogged down by such earthly matters. "Billie Jean," "Thriller," "Off the Wall," "Human Nature," "PYT," "Rock With You," "Smooth Criminal," shit even, "Butterflies," "Ben," "Scream," "In the Closet" and "Remember the Time," and so many more are too precious to tarnish. They're Scotchguarded with perfection, utmost examples of art that demands to be separated from its artist. And one of the most heartening phenomena I've observed in the population's relationship to art has been its ability to do just that. I'd never give the public that much credit if I hadn't observed countless examples of the unmitigated joy that results en masse when anything from Thriller is played at a party, no matter the attendees, no matter the occasion and still to this day.

I think for everyone who's upset about Michael's death for whatever reason -- guilt, regret, a general sense of loss, disappointment that he'll never get the chance to come back and prove us doubters wrong -- can take solace in the resilience of his work. If all the shit that he went through couldn't knock Thriller, Off the Wall, Bad and, to whatever degree, Dangerous and HIStory out of our hearts, minds and asses, a little thing like death isn't going to, either. Even when the groove is dead and gone, you know that love survives.

I suspect that we'll be hearing a lot about Michael Jackson in the coming days, months and maybe years. Usually such fond reminiscing seems grossly insincere, but in this case I consider it retribution. Whatever Michael did (and I'm actually in the minority that never thought the molested boys, that could see how he was strange enough to relate to them in an infantile, affectionate and utterly abnormal but sexless manner), we who scorned and ridiculed the man we had previously worshiped, did worse. Our morbid fascination with celebrity and falling from grace and the prospect of bouncing back had the effect of public quartering on an individual who was so fragile and underdeveloped. That's showbiz, and his lackluster output of the past decade absolutely plays a role. He wasn't blameless, and no matter how alien he seemed, he was always human to a fault. (He wore his narcissism and detrimental insecurity next to the chains and insignias and Swarovski crystals on his sleeve.) But, at the very least, his untimely death and the void left by his now permanent inability to make a comeback should remind us that it's important to appreciate the geniuses we still have around, even if they're weirdos. (In fact, they probably aren't really geniuses if they aren't weird.)"

Calvin Walley

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 10:43 pm    

sorry guys

but i have no soft spot for a petaphile no matter how many records he sold, or how well he could dance
i hope he is dancing in a bit warmer climate tonight

gotta love a Mullen!!!

Sho-Bud Mavrick

John Tyson

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 11:24 pm    

Calvin Walley wrote:
sorry guys

but i have no soft spot for a petaphile no matter how many records he sold, or how well he could dance
i hope he is dancing in a bit warmer climate tonight

Calvin,

It's spelled "pedophile". Your ignorance and unproven accusation is disgusting. I hope you play the "petal steal" better than you think.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 11:46 pm    

Calvin - you ain't from around here, are you boy?

What MJ, Quincey Jones and Eddie Van Halen did changed popular music for ever

Sad

bless his soul

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 1:29 am    

i thought it was a publicity stunt

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:08 am    

Let he who is perfect cast the first stone...

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:30 am    

Amen!

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:38 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
Let he who is perfect cast the first stone...

Amen, again.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:38 am    

And I say, It is what it is, not going to post my thoughts, besides, my spelling isn't all that good, then my playing will get dredged in to it, Rolling Eyes

Just remember, we all have the right to make choices in our life,and will be remembered for both good & Bad ones......

For the record, Any one who messes with a child, needs to be #$%*&$# , no matter what he or she has accomplished in life... and yes, Money will just about buy you out of anything Rolling Eyes

Now I have some practicing to do......... Idea

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 8:31 am     Michael Jackson was aquitted in court.

Doesn't that mean anything in the land of the free?

Calvin Walley

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:21 am    

Ron

sadly if your rich enough you can buy your way out of anything in this country as has been proven many time's in recent years

also it seems if you sell enough records and can dance many here think no matter what crime you commit thats cool with them ..just as long as you can sell records it's ok to be a pervert

gotta love a Mullen!!!

Sho-Bud Mavrick

Last edited by Calvin Walley on 26 Jun 2009 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:23 am    

Quote:
For the record, Any one who messes with a child, needs to be #$%*&$# , no matter what he or she has accomplished in life... and yes, Money will just about buy you out of anything

100% correct my friend. Michael Jackson was an ARTIST, PERFORMER, ENTERTAINER AND A PEDOPHILE. I liked his music and his performances but his tastes in life SICKENED me and those who are still in denial can go back to burying their heads in the sand.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:29 am     Well I don't believe he did it.

I believe he was targeted and did nothing wrong. I believe the parents set him up and were going for a settlement because of his extremely large bank account. People in the limelight are always targeted that way. Obviously the courts felt that way as well. But you guys have him convicted regardless of the courts decision.

Calvin Walley

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:34 am    

Ron

i watched on TV last night as the det. involved with his case said if it had been anyone else he would have been convicted in 15 mins flat

gotta love a Mullen!!!

Sho-Bud Mavrick

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:35 am    

His opinion

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:40 am    

I don't think this is the time to speak ill of the dead. There have been others in the "Gone Home" section treated with respect who were in reality real S.O.B.'s. Guess who, you won't hear it from me.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:41 am    

Amen!

Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 10:49 am    

Maybe this isn't the right section for this but the can's already opened.

Ok, let's give MJ the benefit of the doubt, let's say he DIDN'T molest those kids. What valid reason can be given to justify the baby dangle......or any one of the MANY other wierd/distasteful/anti-social things he did?!?

PLEASE don't try to defend him. Can it not be enough just to say this is no loss to the human race, but a major loss to the music community?

As usual, just my opinion.

Now, a diversion.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2523818/Tourist-on-trial-for-murder