The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  " Little Jiggs " Lemley
Mike Lemley

Mt. Gilead,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2009 3:29 am    

Herman G. "Jiggs" Lemley passed April 30th 2009 at his home in Ft.Myers,Fl. My father was eighty one years old and had been fighting lung cancer for four years.
Dad played steel for Hawkshaw Hawkins for five years in the late forties and early fifties , touring the north eastern United States and Canada. At that time Hawkshaw was one of the biggest stars at the WWVA Jamboree in Wheeling, West Virginia. Dad also played steel and Dobro as a staff musician at the Jamboree backing up stars such as George Morgan, Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper, Doc Williams, Big Slim and many more. Many package shows they did included Opry Stars of that era. Jiggs Lemleys musical legacy can be seen at www.hillbilly-music/artist.com.
My guess is Dad and Hawk are gigin right now.

Mike Lemley

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2009 4:16 am    

Sorry to hear that. A singer friend, Billy Cook, always talked about him. He worked with him in Ft Myers for several years.

I think he was the Steeler with Hawkshaw when I saw them one time at Valley View Park in Hellam (York), Pa. Hawk was still on Wheeling at the time.

Mike Lemley

Mt. Gilead,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2009 5:38 am    

Thanks Jack, I met Billy when they were playing the Big Still in N. Ft. Myers years ago. Dad thought a lot of Billy. Mike

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2009 8:40 am    

Condolences on the recent loss of your father, Mike.

Dick Cochran

Conesville, OH USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2009 5:17 pm    

Hi Mike, I'm sorry about your loss. I met Jiggs at a friends jam here in Ohio in 1962 or 1963. When he started to play his straight steel, I put my Fender 400 back in the case. Very Happy What an interesting life he must have lived. Another great steeler gone!

dick

Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2009 1:40 pm    

Mike, I met your dad at club in Ft. Myers quite a few years ago. He wore his derby hat and vest, I remember, and we had a great conversation. My good friend, Jamboree performer "Genial Gene" Hooper talked of "Jiggs" and his playing ability. That evening I had the chance to watch him up-close. He showed me his set-up and explained some licks for this then 'newbie'. He was very kind to me and I never forgot that kindness.
My sincere condolences.
Fred