The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good news and bad on the T.S.G.A
Chuck Norris

Mesquite, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 8:01 am    

We`ll steel guitar world, the bad news first. At 73 years old, and 18 years as president of the Texas Steel Guitar Association, Charlie Norris has stepped down as president. Its been a long and fruitful carreer, and I know he hasnt a regret. So many have wondered what would happen to the T.S.G.A. when this day arrived, and I must admit I myself was worried what would happen to my father`s Legacy that he along with Shirley had put so much into.
Now the good news, after year`s of talking, worrying, and sleepless night`s he has found the perfect sucsesser. There wer`e a few choice men to choose from, like Jr. Knight, whose new recording studio is taking up his time, the same with Herb Steiner a dedicated T.S.G.A member and pionnier of the organization, again his career takes up enough time for 2 men, and besides he is to far from the Dallas headquarters, as is the great Jody Sander`s a dedicated steel player and MC since the get go, or Buddy Bryant but again to out of pocket.
But the one perfect man for the job will be swarn in at this year`s T.S.G.A. convention on the 21st thru the 24th of March, in the year of our lord 2002 [DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!]
Reverand Wayne Smith. Ain`t much I can say about Wayne that almost every one in the industry, even in Nashille doesn`t know but what`s important is that he understands and support`s the organazation as my father has painstakingly built it.An organization not based on any selfish or commercial agenda, but simply to promote the Steel guitar and the player`s, peddle or lap for the sake of the instrument, it`s history and it`s potential. Wayne has the right spirit for this job, heis a good musician, and he will bring good business sense and he`s quite computer literate also. Charlie was elected President Ameritus, and Shirley who also reseined was elected secratery Ameritus, but no one has filled that spot of secretary yet.
Congratulations to Wayne and good luck,and may I say although I am saddened by my father stepping down, I am tickled pink about the new President of the T.S.G.A.
Chuck Norris NFM

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 11:27 am    

On behalf of the Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association members and officers, we wish to extend our heartfelt congratulations to Charlie and Shirley Norris for a fantastic job in promoting and building one of the best steel shows "bar none" and steel organizations. We also congratulate our brother in Christ, Rev. Wayne Smith on his new appointment. Hats off to you folks at the TSGA.

John Buffington, OSGA Vice President

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 1:38 pm    

My association with Charlie and Shirley Norris and the T.S.G.A. for the past seventeen years has been a great experience. Although I'm a piano player Charlie never let me know that I wasn't a "steel player". The organization has come a long way under Charlie's leadership and he and Shirley will certainly be missed. "Thanks" Charlie and Shirley for all the love and nurturing you have given the T.S.G.A.
The organization will now be in the very capable hands of one whom many of us know simply as the "Rev". The T.S.G.A. could not have elected anyone who would be more dedicated, knowledgeable, involved and caring than Wayne Smith. So welcome aboard "Rev" and we know under your leadership the good ship "T.S.G.A." will continue to sail in calm waters.
....Roy and Barbara

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 3:20 pm    

Thank you Charlie for the support you have given me personally. I appreciate you very much!! Congratulations Wayne, there could not have been a better choice for someone to carry the great organization on.
Jerry Roller
NEOSGA vice president

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 4:28 pm    

I, as a member of the "NTSGA" wish to thank Charlie Norris for all he has done for steel guitar, and steel guitar players. He has promoted steel shamlessly for many years. He is my friend, competitor, and a guy I can always count on for anything in the world of steel guitar and anywhere else. A better friend, Steel Guitar couldn't have. I'm sure Wayne Smith will be a worthy successor. I have also known him for many years and I feel the club has made a very wise desision in appointing him the new President.
Where do I send my dues guys?
Bobbe Seymour----------III

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 4:30 pm    

Charlie is 73? I have shoes older than that!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 5:10 pm    

Bobbe
Charlie is older than you are, but you've been awake more hours!

Now that the humor is out of the way...

I've experienced, in my life, meeting a few special guys along the way who have grabbed me by the shoulders, looked me in the eye, and gave me the direction I've needed to take me on paths that I was meant to travel, paths unknown to me at the time. Charlie Norris is such a man.

I was basically a semi-retired steel player in 1994 working a stressful daytime career in something that was not my true calling, content only to play with Johnny Bush a couple of times a month. Charlie pushed me, kicking and screaming, into recording albums and playing steel shows, devoting a certain amount of my energy towards the TSGA, beginning another teaching career, and generally reviving my interest in my one true vocational love, the steel guitar.

Simply put, there is nothing in my power I would not do for that man, such is the love and respect I have for him, and his family.

I was... in all seriousness... honored and truly humbled that so many members of the TSGA were politicking for my becoming president of the organization. But I knew that I simply couldn't do the job, or fill the shoes, that Charlie is leaving. And I told everyone so. I am happy and relieved by the group's decision. I fully support and stand ready to assist my friend Wayne in any and all thing he feels is needed by the TSGA.

I hope everyone enjoys this year's Jamboree, because it is going to be a very, very great one!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 5:34 pm    

Well,
I can't say or add much more than has already been said. Charlie and I go back more years than most of you are old. So far back that we have trouble keeping things straight and in proper sequence. Aside of what has been said and what most you of already know about Charles and Shirley, I would be very amiss if I didn't say just what a friend and inspiration he has been to me.
Thanks for all the years of joy and friendship Charlie and Shirley.
Wayne Smith, you too are a dear friend and may I wish all the best for you in the many years to come with you at the helm. You have my full support and confidence.
The TSGA, it just don't much better than that.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

I left a word out. Lately, I've been leaving a lot of thing out. !!!!
****Hell, I found another one misssspelllled.

[This message was edited by Bobby Bowman on 12 February 2002 at 05:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bobby Bowman on 12 February 2002 at 05:39 PM.]

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 10:06 pm    

Permit me, as founder of the Central Kentucky Steel Guitar Club in 1980, to send our congratulations to Charlie and Shirley for a job well done. No one has any idea the time, energy, patience and hard work that is required to put on a show of the caliber of the Texas show unless they have tried it themselves. I know Wayne Smith through his appearances at the Indianapolis gospel steel show and I'm sure that he will give excellent leadership to the TSGA and the show for years to come.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 10:27 pm    

An Era has ended. I am reminded of the George Jones song titled "Whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes". Thankfully, in this case, Wayne Smith can step in and guide the TSGA in the future. I have attended every show, and watched Charlie and Shirley take the TSGA from infanthood to a full blown Steel Guitar organization and the Dallas Show into a major production. Charlie old friend, I salute you for a job well done. Love ya'll, Jody.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2002 6:38 am    

I remember 18 or so years ago, a bunch of guys *had a dream*...more like a nightmare!
But Charlie took the *dream* and 18 years later, one of the most sucessful steel shows
EVER!! As vicepres. for 3 yrs I know what kind of presure Charlie has been under...ALOT. But, he always came through. But I will say one thing, its Charlies fault
that I could not except nomanation for pres. of the TSGA...it was he and Gary Hogue that gave me the chance to learn recording. For that alone...I owe them everything!
Charlie & Shirley...thanks for all the hard work, and for making a *DREAM* come true!
*Rev*...welcome! The TSGA is in GREAT hands!
Thanks and God Bless,
Junior.

------------------
Bb is where it's at!

[This message was edited by Junior Knight on 13 February 2002 at 06:41 AM.]

[This message was edited by Junior Knight on 13 February 2002 at 06:45 AM.]

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2002 11:08 pm    

Charlie,
My sincere thanks and appreciation to you and Shirley for your dedication,leadership, and tireless efforts to promote the steel guitar,and help make the Texas show such a great show for the enjoyment and entertainmet of so many, many people...and to help the many musicians and vendors of the countless products,associated with steel guitar and the music associated with,and because of it...
And thank you for the many years of invitations and allowing me to be a part of the shows...this ole 'West Kentucky hillbilly' really appreciates it...
And I feel you have a worthy successor in 'Rev. Smyfth'..It will probably keep him hopping like a butterfly with sore feet,but he will continue to help produce super quality shows for all to enjoy...
Thanks again Charlie,,and Shirley...
and Wayne,thank you for accepting the position...
My prayers and happy thoughts to all of you...
RP...'come on in'...

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 1:47 pm    

Thanks to Shirley and Charlie for all the years of hard work in making the TSGA what it is today. All members that I know have had concerns about the status of the TSGA and the Jamboree when the Norris's stepped down.

While no one will ever replace the Norris's the naming of Wayne Smith as new president assures the integrity and quality of the TSGA and the Jamboree will continue.

Great choice!

JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2002 6:35 pm    

CHARLIE AND SHIRLEY, I HAVE ATTENDED 5 TSGA SHOWS AND THEY HAVE BEEN GREAT. THANKS A MILLION FOR PUTTING ON THE SHOW FOR SO LONG. MY FIRST GOOD STEEL CAME FROM YOUR SHOP AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE ONE FORMERLY OWNED BY THE "REV". I AM SURE WAYNE WILL BE A GREAT PRESIDENT. HE HAS SOME BIG SHOES TO FILL BUT WITH THE TEAM WORK OF THE TSGA, HE'LL DO GREAT.THANKS AGAIN CHARLIE AND SHIRLEY, MAY GOD BLESS YOU. TO "REV", GOD BLESS YOU TOO. THANKS FOR BEING AN INSPIRATION TO ME TO KEEP ON TRYING. THANKS FOR LEAVING A FEW GOOD LICKS ON THAT RED ZUM. LOOKING FORWARD TO MY 6TH TSGA SHOW SEE YOU NEXT MONTH