The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oahu alumni
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 5:14 am    

Hi,

I would be interested in posts from anyone who took lessons from the Oahu Publishing Company or at one of their studios, usually called the Honolulu Conservatory of Music.

Please include the year(s), location, and any other pertinent details.

I know there were many Oahu students, some of whom went on to be professional players, and I'm interested in compiling a list.

This should be fun.

Thanks,

Bob

Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 5:59 am    

I took almost the complete students lesson in the early 1950 until around 1957. This included the E, A6, C#minor tuuning. Also took the complete course for teacher and music studio owners.
I still have probably 90% of all the music and lessons that I have saved over the years.
I took my lessons through a dealer in Dover, Ohio of which I keep close contact with to this day.
I wish I could remember all the music from those times.
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 7:33 am     Not to hijack your fine post but..........

While I took lessons from the Oregon Conservatory of Music, Leo Skipton, Instructor.........

I purchased many, many Oahu tunes/sheet music. They were the only ones that provided steel guitar music.
The later GIBSON Guitar Co., sheet music failed to come anywhere near the Oahu material.

I apologize for the intrustion.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 8:29 am    

I missed out on the lessons but I recently purchased a Oahu Diana lap steel which I've fallen in love with.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 9:04 am    

Has the copyright expired on that stuff?

If so, Somebody should post it all on a web site so that we can all see it.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 10:06 am    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 10:38 am    

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
Mike Perlowin...
Posting "it all" on a website would be a lifetime's work. Do you have any idea how big Oahu was and how long they lasted?

No, I didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 10:38 am    

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
Mike Perlowin...
Posting "it all" on a website would be a lifetime's work. Do you have any idea how big Oahu was and how long they lasted?

No, I didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 10:42 am    

I took the 52 lesson basic course from 1937 to 1940. Many interruptions due to illness. This was in Mishawaka, IN. Our teacher was a young thing pretty as a picture and she excited us little boys but we were to young to figure out why.

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 12:35 pm    

I took lessons from a very similiar music organization here on the West Coast called the National Institure of Music and Arts (NIOMA) from 1939 to 1943. This was pretty big operation based in Los Angeles and Seattle. They also taught a lot of Violin. The Brand name of their six string electric lap steels and 6" Amps was "GEBS". Had a great time as it also became a Social occasion with Band Nights and Concerts.

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 1:33 pm     This was posted under another post

Nan and I both had lessons at the american Guitar studio in Montgomery, Mary Cranford was my teacher as well as Sarah Hodges, they started us out on Diagrams, where you sturm all 6 strings to play the melody, We would get a new song each week if we learned the song from the week before.
We both took enough lessons to use up all the songs the had noted by hand. Then we were moved over to the OAHU Modern Note Method, in A nd E major, and E seventh tunings.
After 3 months we had A get together with all the student on Saturday where we all played together, this session is where Nan and I met, June 1946.
On a snowey date it snowed 3 inches, that day, WE went out on the roof next door me and 1 other boy made snow Balls, with nothing to do with them, Nan stuck her head out the window and I hit that red head in her red Hair with a snowball I had never notice her before, But that started a 63 year love afare that still works.
What a way to learn steel guitar.

ernie

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 2:30 pm    

I took the Oahu steel courses from mid fifties to mid '60's. When the British invasion took place I switched to plectrum guitar. For a time, I took lessons on both steel and regular Spanish guitar. I started lessons at Kitchen's House of Music in Fostoria/Tiffin, OH. Later, I took lessons from Vi's School of Music in Tiffin, OH. My first instructor was Ron Stucky and later Viola Lang.
Good instructors who gave me a love of both instruments. My thanks to them

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 3:42 pm    

I took the Oahu steel courses from the early to mid '50s. The teacher came to my home to teach, in Atlanta.
If I remember right, the cost was like $3.00 per lesson once per week.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 4:40 pm    

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
...There are probably over 5000 steel guitar arrangements and they were in many tunings, high and low bass A, E, E7, A6, C#Mi/C#mi7, and more. There were also steel guitar folios, and various levels of instructor's courses...

...then there's no time to waste. Winking

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 6:20 pm    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 6:32 pm    

I had lessons from the Oahu books around 1956 or 57. I did the whole series for 6 string spanish guitar. The music books were provided by the music store that gave the lessons. I felt like I was imposing on my folks by asking to let me take guitar. I didn't dare to ask for steel lessons as well. John
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 1:45 am    

My first "electric" steel was a used Pearloid covered D6 Oahu and I remember it had a couple of their lessons in the case when I got it. That was late 40's and I don't remember anything else about them.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 2:58 am     Oahu

Count me in. 1938 was my awakening to our beloved Hawaiian Steel Guitar. A Mr. Hall walked through our neighborhood in Handsboro, Mississippi-a small community located on the Bernard Bayou between Biloxi and Gulfport, about a mile from the beaches.
We had no radio at that time. I was on our back porch and heard "something" coming from our front room that was completely new. Ran into the house and saw a very tall man with that Hawaiian guitar strapped over his shoulders and he was giving his pitch to my Mom and Dad and playing the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard. I did not know there was a Pacific Ocean, much less anything about Hawaii. Stood there with eyes and mouth and ears open completely mesmorized. My folks agreed to give the three month lesson contract to my older brother to help out Mr. Hall and his family. My brother, Elvin, was in high school in Gulfport-three miles away. My grammer school was just blocks away in Handsboro. I would run home at lunch time and gobble my lunch and then spend the rest of the time trying to understand those Oahu lessons and try to play that guitar. Rushed home after school to try again before Elvin got home every day also. (That guitar kept me from learning lots of things in school).
After a month and a half had passed, Mr Hall came to our house to inform my folks that there was no need to continue the lessons with Elvin as he had zero musical talent and there was no need to continue payments for lessons. (At that time everyone was concerned with the available money people had, or did not have). My dad convinced Mr Hall to allow me to finish the lessons out. My first formal lesson was the song "Santa Lucia". I took those lessons at my Aunt Hattie Dambrino's home every Saturday morning with about six other neighborhood kids. I was to receive that guitar after completing those lessons. Have been trying to really learn ever since.
After listening to the players we had during this past weekend at our Deep South Summer Steel event, I have a long way to go yet. Will keep trying though.
Bill Stafford

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 5:07 am    

I just had an after thought about the Oahu courses. Each summer my teacher would take us to Cedar Point(an amusment park) in Sandusky, OH. At the Breakers Hotel there, students from all over the midwest would converge and play at the International Music Festival. Judges would evaluate your playing and offer suggestion for improvement. It was a great way to get students on stage. I remember one song I prepared for the contest was Ray Charle's I Can't Stop Loving You. Anyone else ever play at Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH?

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 5:15 am    

Great posts guys! Keep 'em coming.

Best,

Bob

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 11:21 am    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 11:23 am    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 11:25 am    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 1:46 pm    

Here is the picture of my teacher - about 1954 - She was 16. And that is the exact model of steel I had at the time.

Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 6:36 pm    

If Oahu ever came to Denison Tx where I was grew up,I was never aware of it.

In the late 40's however someone, apparently representing the Fender Company, came door to door signing people people up for steel guitar lessons.

Seems there were about 20 or 25 kids who showed up in an old building downtown and took a thirty minute lessons. We were all issued a Stella acoustic guitar with a nut on it to raise the strings. After about 10 or 12 lessons the sales pitch started to try to sell the little blond lap steel and a amp with an 8 or 10 inch speaker.

Where I was raised in the old Cotton Mill section of Denison,( Bobby Boatwright of Texas Play Boy fame and I went to the same elementary school) $106 was all the money in the world.

After promising my Dad I would never play in any " honkey tonks" he bought me guitar and amp ,with all respect to all you weekend warriors, it is probably one of the best commitments I ever made as my Dad was probably the only one of six brothers who was not an alcoholic or even a drinker.Jamming down at B&N Music store on Saturday,s with you guys is where I finally learned to play.

Saw one of the little guitars and amps at a recent guitar show.Is anyone crazy enough to pay over a $1000 for the little set as they were asking?