The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Houston area steelers -- need a job?
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2002 3:45 pm    

The Texas Opry Jamboree in Magnolia, TX (just NW of Houston) has been in business since 1986. Next week is the last time their lead guitarist will be playing with them (he's been there five years), and they haven't yet located his replacement.

I aksed the owner if she'd be interested in having a steel player for the band, and she said "sure, have them contact me".

They put on a show every Saturday night from 7:30 to about 10:30. From my conversations with the band, it doesn't sound like they practice much together (if at all). They sure SOUND like they practice, though.

Anyway, I know there's a few steelers around here who certainly have the talent to play with the band there, if they can work out a deal with the owner. I haven't a clue as to the pay, etc.

If one of you can also play the electric and acoustic guitar, you'd probably be a shoe-in for the job.

If you're interested, contact Cookie Douglas at (281) 356-6779. Tell her I sent you -- and if she doesn't recognize the name, just say he's the photographer who gave her the pictures of her grandson.

Their website is http://www.texasopry.com -- but I wouldn't send an email to the address listed there -- I think her computer is still down. Just call the number I gave above.

If you want to see some pictures of a few performances there, take a look at my website (click the link below). Scroll down on the left-hand side to near the bottom, and you'll see 4 or 5 dates where I've taken quite a few pictures.

I hope this works out for somebody, because I'd sure like to hear a steel at the performances there.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons