The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seat height: I know it's really subjective.
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 4:09 pm    

i would like the seat maker's to jump in on this one
have any of them ever considered making an adjustable seat ?

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick

Dan Blaisdell

Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 5:28 pm     Seat Height etc.

I bought A TAMA drum throne recently that has a large comfortable seat and infinite height adjustment. Works great and very comfortable. $120 at Guitar Center.

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 6:22 pm    

I normally use a steel seat with back rest,but I just found a light,small,adjustable key board seat for about $30. at Sam Ash. I can fold it and put it in my suit case.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 6:35 am    

My advise is to just bite the bullet and get a Steelers Choice seat with the backrest and side car.
That side car is the greatest. I keep everything I need to change a broken string in there. You don't even have to get off your butt! Just open the little top and everything is RIGHT there.
If you are using a drum throne or a keyboard seat, what do you do when you need to replace a broken string?
Do you carry a purse? Whoa!

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 9:56 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
My advise is to just bite the bullet and get a Steelers Choice seat with the backrest and side car.
That side car is the greatest. I keep everything I need to change a broken string in there. You don't even have to get off your butt! Just open the little top and everything is RIGHT there.
If you are using a drum throne or a keyboard seat, what do you do when you need to replace a broken string?

Smile when you say that, Mister. Razz

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 10:05 am    

I'll have to tell you a cute story.
I was at the Mt. Vernon steel show and I saw a neat little bar and pick bag hanging on the keyhead of a guitar.
I asked the fellow where he got it and he said that across the auditorium there was a gal selling purses and she had them for sale.
So I went over and bought one.
I went to a steel show and came home with a purse! Whoa!

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 11:03 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:

I have a small handbag "gig bag" with a shoulder strap and lots of compartments that I keep nearby. It has extension cords, guitar cords of all lengths, speaker cables for one or two speakers, POD XT, distortion box, tuner, tubes, small tool kit, flash light, towel, etc. All the stuff that wont fit in my Steeler's Choice Sidecar. I have to carry the gig bag anyway, and it also holds my volume pedal, power strip, picks, bars, strings, wire cutters, and sidewinder. So I don't need the pakaseat to carry anything. It's just another heavy, awkward item to load in. Instead I have a collapsible, adjustable $30 keyboard seat, that is much easier to carry. The pakaseat is comfortable for practicing and it stays home.

William Gwynn

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 6:03 am     Seating

Does anybody use a drum throne saddle seat (adjustable)
I have been looking at them and wondered if they worked out for you?
(As opposed to the pack-a-seat and fussing over the height issue). I realize there is no storage

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 7:37 am    

Some people on this very thread mention using a drum throne. It's perfectly acceptable. Heck, if you're comfortable and can play well in a vibrating lounge chair, that would be acceptable, but very hard to get to a gig. Laughing

If you can borrow a drum thrown that is infinitely adjustable, find your most comfortable setting and measure from the floor to the top of the seat. If you have your heart set on a pak-a-seat, talk to the builders. They would probably be more than happy to accomodate you. You might even find a drum throne to your liking.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 10:35 am    

I've got a buddy who is happy with a drum throne. He tours quite a bit and it's easy to pack into a small space, whether plane or van.

Even though your feet are planted on the floor, I've always figured that pushing a knee lever to the right or left would make the seat want to rotate. But I've never played on a drum throne and others seem happy, so I guess it's not much of an issue. A foldable keyboard bench might be cheaper and would be more 'fixed in place' seating. Just make sure it gets tall enough, like at least 19 to 21 inches, or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 3:19 pm     Walker Seat

I use a Walker Seat. What ever you start with stay with it. If you change heights it may mess with your right hand and picking.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 3:51 pm    

I've used a Tama drum seat for years. It's great to be able to dial in the height. It drives me CRAZY if it rotates. Had to use a lot of LocTite, and really work hard so it doesn't move. But it's terrific now.

My preference for the drum seat is only a little about cost, mostly about weight. Split soft-cases for my SD10, drum seat, everything matters.

Ryan Zimmerman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 1:07 pm    

I use an adjustable collapsible keyboard bench. It's set quite high in comparison to a normal chair. I'm a bit on the tall side (and most of my height is in my legs); my knees just so fit under the steel. Works for me.

I carry a separate tote bag with my string-changing stuff.

I never fooled with tilting the steel; mine is totally level. Then again, I just have an S-10; perhaps I'd fool with tilt if my steel was wider.