The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zane Beck on May 25th
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 7:34 am    

On May 25th, 1985 our dear friend the late Zane Beck went to be with the LORD JESUS.

I still miss him dearly! He was such a great guy and a wonderful steel guitarist. He made many contributions to the steel guitar.

Recently, I talked with Faye his wife and she is planning on re-releasing what I believe was Zane's best LP recordings titled "Tribute To Zane Beck." It would be wonderful for those who never had a chance to hear him to hear these on CD.

My GOD bless!

Terry Wood

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 3:48 pm     zane

I feel blessed to have seen Zane Beck play before. He was definitely one talented man and a first class gentleman.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 5:46 pm    

They just don't make 'em like Zane any more. He was one of the greatest. Player, and builder. Jody.

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 10:25 pm     Zane Beck

What a great musician and a wonderful friend he was.He has helped so many people in this area and around the country,He could do so many things besides build and play steel guitars.He once loaded up his Bulldozer and cleared my land for my new house,i helped him put siding on his house and many local musicians helped him build the Zan Beck Studio building and its still in operation today.he knew no limits and could do or fix about anything.we all miss him as a person, a friend and a super talented musician.God got a wonderful gift when he left us.
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 11:21 am     The Legend Lives ON

Terry,

Zane Beck told Don, "Your never truly appreciated until after your dead"

I too feel we have been cheated by Zane passing. So many young musicians never had the opportunity to meet him.

Dan

DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 9:02 pm     Zane

Terry, I remember the date very well. I was doing a clinic in Xenia, OH when I got the message that Zane had passed away. I cancelled the next days clinic and flew to Little Rock for his funeral. Someone picked me up at the airport and took me back right after the funeral. Zane always called me "Uncle Scotty" and we had many, many good times together. Of course, I still think about him often. Scotty

Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 29 May 2009 8:49 am    

What Jody said. Rest in peace Zane.

Dennis Wallis

Arkansas
Post  Posted 31 May 2009 3:39 pm    

Zane was a very dear friend. We played together a lot and he did MANY favors for me. It was a terrible shock & a great loss when he passed. I miss him very much but at least I have a lot of fond memories. He was a very nice man. Everyone that knew him says that right away. I am proud to have known him.

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2009 6:20 am    

I never knew the man but I know his work and am proud
to play it.

Kenneth Rollans

LITTLE ROCK.,ARKANSAS * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2009 5:21 am     mr zane beck

my self, like my friends, dennis wallis rudy osborne scotty,and many others ZANE was a real down to earth friend.i had the honor of buying the first [ BMI]steel he ever sold srl. no 0002.it was for barbra mandrell"s aunt.her aunt had 2 adopted children. at that time the boy was 7 years old and the little girl was 9 years old.ZANE wanted to give them the steels but i would not hear of it.he has helped more steel players out than you can know.it was such a shock to all of us guys here in arkansas.i never heard him say a negetive word about any one.he gave me studio time to make an album. so far i have all 10 tracks down and 2 songs nearly complete. i hope to get them finished soon .this was for helping him build part of his studio and building a key board rack and a steel seat. like scotty said he called me uncle kenn.the fifth of may 1985 will never be the same again.i hand built a 13 string steel pedal at the end of 1985 and dedecated it to his memory.thanks ZANE for being my friend.kenny rollans

Kenneth Rollans

LITTLE ROCK.,ARKANSAS * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2009 5:30 am     correction on my post about ZANE

i should have at least got the date righ he passed away the 25 of may 1985. not the fifth of may 1985 sorry about that ZANE.kenny rollans

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2009 10:44 am    

Zane was a dear friend. We had wonderful times together. I sure miss him and think of him often. Bobby

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 8:15 am    

As I have shared this before, for those of you who might not know, I named my son after Zane Beck.

Zane Huy Wood will be 5 years old on the 26th of August, 2009 he also likes steel guitar and has his own 10 string BMI Beck Musical Instrument. He will play his first T-Ball Baseball game today at Marshfield, MO.

Bobby, I love the album you recorded with Zane Beck. If you all don't have that you need to get a copy it is titled "Bobby Caldwell Meets Zane Beck." I believe it is available on CD now. Bobby or Scotty will know.

Thanks and GOD bless!

Terry Wood