The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George Lewis
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2009 10:18 pm    

I knew that George was not in good health as he has not been to the ISGC for the past few years. I have known him since the late 1950s when he was the manager of Industrial Towel Service in Decatur, Illinois. He showed me a ShoBud in the trunk of his car in the late 1950s that I just drooled over. He was always a huge steel guitar fan and a great friend to me and Illinois co-horts. WE will all miss George. Our condolences to Mona, Lisa and Kim.

Billy Easton
Jr. Garner
Denny Sarver
Johnny Spaugh
Barry Wilkie
The Former Sagamon Valley Boys

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 1:48 am    

Sad news. I only met George a few times, but I see Lisa and Kim every year at the NAMM show, and once in a great while I'll grab a cup of coffee or have lunch with one or the other. They are both very sweet, which is a reflection on how their parents raised them.

Mona and Kim and Lisa, if you're reading this, I'm sorry for your loss.

Jimmie Misenheimer

Bloomington, Indiana - U. S. A.
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 4:34 am    

Brothers Herb and Chuck said it "best"... Jimmie

Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 5:33 am     May 24, 2009

Our thoughts and prayers for Mona, Lisa, Kim, and all the families and friends,..as we say Farewell to a fellow veteran,a Masonic Brother, and a good friend. "Semper Fi" Marine,.. Go in Peace.
Ron & Leslie Elliott

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 11:30 pm    

I have always known George to be a "can-do" guy. I guess I could have expected that...aren't all Marines "can-do" by nature?
George rarely talked of his experiences at Pearl Harbor and I knew not of Bougainville which was truly Hell on Earth for the troops who fought there.
So we not only lost a steel guitar pioneer, we lost a man who fought for our freedoms back then, and helped, unselfishly, set the world free from tyranny over six decades ago. Without his efforts and the efforts of many others, Americans might now be conversing in Japanese or German.
God, please bless George Lewis. May we never forget him and his contributions to our very lives.
Paul Redmond

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 3:45 am    

Sorry to hear this, Mycondolences to Mona, Lisa and Kim.

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 11:15 am    

My thoughts go to the family. I enjoyed the post cleanup meals at the Dallas shows

John Norris

Peterson Strobe Tuners, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 1:57 pm    

I was sad to get a call from the Lewis family with the news. Our condolences to Kim, Lisa and Mona.

John Norris

Frank Harris

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 3:35 pm     george L

George L has been a great part of my music career may he rest in peace and will surely be missed by all.

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 5:17 pm    

My thoughts and prayers to the family, and family of friends of Mr George. He has been a dear friend for many,many years.
I received a call from the family,but it came in while I was in Oklahoma doing a show.
I am so sorry...he was helpful, and informative, and also a man with much humor..I really enjoyed being in his company..
I went by their business one day..Mr George was up on a step ladder, painting trim.He had paint on his nose, on his ears, much on his work clothes.He came down for a break, to talk. He said Robbie I have always wanted a large sum of money..well last night I did some figuring, and I have reached that sum..and it was a hefty sum..And with that much money, he was up on that ladder painting..that was the work ethics of Mr George Lewis...
He waved me over to his booth one time..and said,"Robbie..pick me up and drop me." I said if you want to be on the floor George, just lay down . he laughed so hard tears were rolling down his cheeks, and he got the onlookers to laughing..we had quite a crowd to see what was going on.
He finally said to get behind him, lift him up as high as I could with my arms wrapped around him,under his arms,then act as if were trying to drive his feet in the floor, then stop before he touched the floor..Nothing happened..so he said do it again..that time when I stopped his downward travel..his back popped like breaking a stick..He said ..great..that did it..His back was out and I just popped it back in..Scary but effective..
I told him my bill would be in the mail..heh heh
We talked some about his military service, but he was not too talkative about it..But knowing I was ex-Navy, he did tell me some things. I gave him the news that he was eligible for a service ribbon that had just been authorized by Congress, and gave him the address where to send in his request..He did so and received the award.
RIP in eternal peace my friend..you are missed by many.. "Semper Fi" Marine...
RP...'come on in'...

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 8:44 pm     Sorry to hear of this huge loss

This loss is not just huge to those of us in the steel guitar community but to most of the entire world of stringed musicians.

What is great is that the legand will live on through the his family who have, from all appearances, kept the business thriving through his long absence.

DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 9:08 pm     George Lewis

Mary, Sandra and I attended the funeral and the Pall Beares were from George's Masonic Lodge. They performed a Masonic funeral and I was lucky enough to have been a part of that ceremony. Besides the 6 Masons that were pall bearers all the rest of us were Honorary Pall Bearers. My condolences go out to the family. Scotty

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 6:31 am    

I want to add my condolences also to Kim, Mona, Lisa and all the family.

R.I.P. George
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 3:45 pm     George L

Condolences to the wonderful family of George. Another ICON has left us and he will be missed so very much. RIP my friend.
Bill Stafford

chuck abend

Kansas City,Mo.64155 U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 4:53 pm     condolences

Sorry to hear of his passing.I had many conversations
in the booth with him.I still use all George L cables
He will be rembered allways.My condolenses
Chuck Abend; Kansas City