The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stan Friend has passed
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2009 7:24 pm    

Long time friend,disc jokey,guitar and steel player, died unexpectedly on the 16th.He was 61. Stan worked hard to keep traditional country music alive.He was a great guitarist as well as a very good pedal steel player.
R.I.P my friend.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 4:59 am    

Sorry to hear about Stan,he did a lot for country music in the mid Mo area. I had the chance to play with Stan a few times, he will me missed.
Jerry

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 5:18 pm    

Bill, so sorry to learn of the loss of your friend. I never knew him, but would you know if he was part of the large Friend family there in Missouri of which there was Duane Friend, Mr Gospel Guitar, and brother Darrel Friend, also a great 6 string player; both were preachers. Several other brothers in that family were musicians as well, one named Bythel I believe.
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Ray Campbell

St. Robert, MO
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 6:40 am    

Yes, he was a member of that large and talented family. His father was Don, a brother to Dwayne, Harold, Darrell, Rex, Bythel (and there are more that I can't remember. Stan's funeral was held Saturday at Dawson and the service was preached by Dwayne. Besides Stan's family, which is large, there were many in attendance, including Max and Danny Rhodes and Gene Reasoner. I was included in that stellar group that sang "Suppertime" and the moment will be treasured forever. Stan and I worked many gigs together, as well as DJ work for more than one station. Somewhere somebody found a copy of a recording Stan had done of Dwayne's song "Code Blue" and it was played at the funeral. Stan not only was a good guitar player, he had learned steel and he was a heckuva singer. I've missed him a lot over the years when he was virtually unreachable and I miss him more now that he can't return. Rest in peace, brother Stan.