The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Poodie Locke
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 May 2009 5:09 am    

Lonesome Onry and Mean: R.I.P. Poodie Locke
By William Michael Smith in Hillbilly Highway, Lonesome Onry and Mean, Miles-tones, Texas Me, This Just In
Wednesday, May. 6 2009 @ 5:34PM

Word has reached Lonesome, Onry and Mean that longtime Willie Nelson stage manager Poodie Locke passed away shortly after 3 p.m. this afternoon. The cause of death is said to be a "massive heart attack."

Reports of Locke's passing have just gone up on Austin360.com, and Nelson has informed fans via his Web site and Twitter.

LOM's source, who asked not to be named, said she learned via a phone call from a member of Locke's family around 4:30 p.m., and that Locke was at home with his mother at the time of death.

Locke owned the Poodie's Hilltop Grill roadhouse on Highway 71 west of Austin for years and was voted Most Beautiful Baby in Waco in 1952. He was known for his sense of humor, generosity and support of local Austin artists, many of whom played some of their first gigs at Poodie's.

Locke. had been with Nelson through both the highs and lows of long career and, Nelson noted, was his golf partner. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Momma Locke, Cindy, Shea and Poodie's family and friends," Nelson posted.

Funeral arrangements have yet to be made.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 May 2009 6:54 pm    

I have fond memories of the chicken-fried steak sandwiches at Poodie's. I got the impression he was a real original. Sad news.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 May 2009 8:17 pm    

Our whole community is in shock. Poodie was an original, and a dear friend of mine for over 36 years. He was 56 years old, and at home in Austin when it happened.

The day before Poodie's passing, local steel guitarist Steve England, well known in our town as well, passed away from the effects of liver disease. I will post about this as well.