The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GOOD NEWS! Reviving a 2-string pedal steel EBow
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2009 12:30 pm    

My trusty PSG EBow has worked for years, but recently seemed dead, wouldn't turn on at all with a fresh battery. Sad news, like a death in the family!

I contacted manufacturer Greg Heet and he said that the problem is likely just in the battery clip contacts or wires. The electromagnets that do all the work are potted in epoxy, so problems aren't very likely inside.

Then he asked if I'd tried using the AC adaptor. I'd completely forgotten it has a power jack, and my adaptor is MIA after all these years (has a male jack, BOSS and other wall warts won't work). Greg sent me one, and, BAM, it came to full life!

I'm going to have an electronics friend see if the battery connector can be fixed up, it's a lot easier to use onstage without the wires; but at least it works perfectly now, so there's hope for anyone else out there with a dead 2-string EBow.

The EBow website doesn't have any info about how to order the AC adaptor, but here's Greg's email, just contact him directly to purchase:
talk4 at ebow dot com (insert real symbols in there, of course)

Please report back here if this indeed works out for you, too.

Greg is busy with other projects and has no plans to re-release the PSG model, sadly. If enough of us pester him, though...

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 4 May 2009 4:28 pm    

That's cool--that's good news. How many people actually have these rare jewels? I have a regular single string Ebow. It's cool, but no AC adaptor. Does the wire from the AC adaptor get in the way? BTW, how many strings apart are the string grooves? Is it for like strings 3 and 5? I've thought about taping two Ebows together, but that would make for a pretty wide string spacing.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2009 1:09 am    

I'm surprised there's so little feedback on this news! Where is everyone? No one cares? Oh well...

Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 6 May 2009 4:59 am    

I remember when the Steel guitar Ebow was in produ-
ction,one of those gadgets You ALMOST purchase...
"...oh,I´ll get it next time..." ; I have the
one-sting model,though...it´s a great product,and
believe me,if the Steel Model would resurface I´d
grab one or two...not the same mistake twice.McUtsi

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2009 6:50 am    

I have one of the old "chrome" ones from the 70's with the heavy duty leather pouch and clip on it. When I get home I'll post a pic of it.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2009 8:16 am    

Right, Kevin, that's the special 2-string steel model we're talking about, it'd be great to show folks some images of this ultra cool gizmo.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2009 6:19 pm    

Here's a couple pics of the older one-string version made prior to the 2-string model (wider bottom) for steel guitar. They were made in the late 70's early 80's. Somewhere I have the instructional cassette that came with it.

Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 9 May 2009 11:47 am; edited 3 times in total

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 10:22 am    

Kevin, I'm pretty sure this is the older 1-string version, not the 2-string psg one. I'll shoot mine and post later this weekend.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 12:13 pm    

Cliff Kane wrote:
That's cool--that's good news. How many people actually have these rare jewels? I have a regular single string Ebow. It's cool, but no AC adaptor. Does the wire from the AC adaptor get in the way? BTW, how many strings apart are the string grooves? Is it for like strings 3 and 5? I've thought about taping two Ebows together, but that would make for a pretty wide string spacing.

I have one. You can use it on any two strings with one string between: 3 & 5, 4 & 6, etc.

I've heard that there were only 200 made.