The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many Opry's??
Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 8:46 am    

I did an Opry show here in the Southern part of Ohio this past weekend. The question came up of how many Opry's are there across the country other than the one is Nashville. I'm just curious as to how many
there are and who the steel players are that perform on these shows...I'd like to hear your comments on this subject.
Jerry http://www.slidestation.com

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 10:12 am    

Jerry, I have played steel and dobro for the Little O' Opry in Westfork, Arkansas for the past 10 years. Westfork is 40 miles from my town. There is the 4 Star Opry in Barling, Ar. and my friend Jerry Newberry plays steel there, an every Friday night show. This show is 5 miles from my town. There is another in Jenny Lind, Ar. which is 20 miles from me. Another friend, Tommy Wilson was playing steel there but may have recently taken a leave from it. Another friend, Bob Garrett plays steel at an Opry show in Heavener, Okla which is about 40 miles from me. That show is held one Saturday night each month. There are probably a few others I am not aware of.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 19 November 2001 at 09:21 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 10:36 am    

There are several around the DFW Metroplex: Grapevine Opry, Johnny High Revue (with Maurice Anderson, Mesquite Opry, Weatherford Opry, and probably many more that I can't think of.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 11:29 am    

I worked several Opry's around the Kansas city area years ago. I worked the Byron Jones Ferris Opry in Richmond, Mo on and off for about a year. I worked the RiverBend Opry in Atcheson Ks for about 8 months and I worked an Opry in Excelsior Springs, Mo back in the early 80's.

There's several here in central Florida including the Weirsdale Opry with Ray Gantek on steel. There's also an Opry in Eustus, Fl but I don't know if they have a steeler there.

I'm currently doing the Catfish Johnny "jam" Opry type show in Lake Panasoffkee, Fl. This is my fourth year as the staff steeler and sort of by default I've become somewhat of the bandleader.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 12:00 pm    

How do these Opries work, from a business perspective? We've been thinking of starting one here. "The Wine Country Opry" has a nice ring to it, don'tcha think?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E7, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 12:07 pm    

A small community just north of me, Cobden, Ontario, decided several years ago to have a "grand ole opry" show as a community fundraiser.
The organizers were shocked when presented with a letter from some Tennessee law firm, threatening legal action over use of the name. I guess if they'd left off the "grand ole" prefix, everything would have been o.k.
On one hand, it seems a legitimate complaint. On the other hand, I'm not sure that Cobden Ontario (pop. 1600) is much of a threat. I'm kind of surprised they even knew where it was. When I watch the weather on an American channel, I can't help but notice that nothing exists above the 49th parallel on their map.
-John

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 1:42 pm    

These are great...keep em coming guys.
Bobby: The one I worked seated 550-600
folks. They have a format of one host per half hour, and he/she introduce a couple of guests during thier portion. Most of these seem to have the better players in the area formed together in a staff band that plays behind the acts without bands. The folks attending are there for one reason..to hear the picken and grinnin and reward good playing and singing with lots of applause.
I really liked the family aspect of these shows. The wine country does have a nice ring..

Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 19 November 2001 at 01:44 PM.]

Jim Thompson

Washington, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 2:04 pm    

Jerry,
I just want to say, That was one of the best local shows I've seen for a long time. Pat and I went there to hear you and Mike pick. I have to tell you, we had our money's worth before you ever got on stage. I've always heard in show business not to try to upstage kids or animals. That is so true. The younger they were, the better they got. You did your usual great job. As for Mike, well, what can I say. Aside from picking great he was also very entertaining wasn't he? We learned not to let him know if you use Chap-stick didn't we. The more you're around someone, the more you learn about them. I wonder if we should warn others about that. What do you think?
Had a great time. Hope to see you at the Hummingbird Jam on Dec. 2nd.

------------------
Zum U-12 8&6
John Hughey's biggest fan

Ziggie

Freeland, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 2:05 pm    

We had one in Standish,Michigan for a few years called the Michigan Grapevine Opery. the people who started it said they got the idea from the one in Texas. It did good untill the band that put it all together started having problems with personel. It was once a month. I was hired to play various instruments then I eventually joined the band for about 8 months. After I left it lasted about another 3 to 6 months though. It was fun while it lasted. Ziggie

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 3:17 pm    

The opry's that I worked only had one MC. He/She would usually be a singer too and then bring on the acts (mostly singers). One Opry had a DJ from one of the local country stations that would act as MC (as long as they advertised on the station) but I think they paid extra for that.

Most of the "guest" singers didn't get paid or got a token sum for appearing. Most are willing to do it for exposure (or ego) or they will get to promote/sell albums if they have any.

Occasionally they would have a guest band that would do about 30 minutes.

And, occasionally they will get an older (cheaper) name singer in for special shows. Most of them will use the house band, which also makes it less costly to have them appear. Hank Thompson and Little Jimmy Dickens are two that I know of that will work with house bands.

The ones around KC that I worked in had different shows each week, they did not do one show all season as they had a lot of the same people back each week at the shows.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 5:28 pm    

Hi Jerry, There are about 8 OPRY shows within a 60 mile radius of Magnolia, Tx. : Alvin, Manvel, Lake Jackson, Rosenberg, Giddings, Columbus, Magnolia, and Pasadena., see you in Dallas, Jody.

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 5:41 pm    

Howdy Jody and everyone else answering...
Whats the seaing cap. in most of these places..the one I worked was around 500+.

Jerry

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 7:40 pm    

Hey Jack---What was the name of the huge old building (in fact more than one put together) at excelsor Springs where the large dances and shows were ? I lived in Cameron back in 83/84 and was there once.
Seems like a name like "Ozark Inn" or something. Used to have a good friend that played steel up in that area --Bruce Cowan.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 8:05 pm    

Hey Jerry. I got a real good report on you and Mikey from Dad. He said it was a very good show!! I have been the staff steeler at the Renfro Valley Barn Dance in Kentucky for the past 4-years. We are still playing in the original barn that opened in 1939. We are also working in the new barn that was built about 10 years ago. The old barn seats 650, the new barn seats 1650. By the way here is a bit of history for you all. The last living, original Barn Dance castmember that was hear when in all started, is the Jerry Byrd.

Greg

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 8:36 pm    

Greg, what was the name of the Williamsburg, Va show where you were staff steel player? Did it have the name Opry in it?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 3:55 am    

Bill, the Ozark Inn was a bar in Excelsior Springs. I've played that a couple of times and in the 70's it had a different name. A little side note about the Ozark Inn, David Frizzel and Shelly West worked there for while back in their early years (before the God Made Oklahoma song).

The old movie theatre downtown was where the Opry shows were. There were several people that had that show. When I did it there was a girl that was the "star" on the show.

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 6:24 am    

Jack---Remember a young girl singer in those days by the name of Kristen Lee or something like that ? She was from around the Kearney area or someplace close there. We seen her perform once and I've always wondered what became of her. She had a particular song she was pushing back then and the local DJs were giving it quite a bit of air time but can't recall the title.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 2:47 pm    

Im getting ready to start one around here where im at it will be a small place and will be on sat nights. theres several places like that here already and sometimes i get to jam with some pretty good bands. one thing about having your own place you can play all you want.

------------------
carter single 10

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 3:36 pm    

There is one near my home. It is "The New Baden Jamboree". It is only on the first Saturday of the month. It is smoke and alcohol free and is usually packed. The performers are from everywhere. Nobody gets paid. I've only been able to go one time because of chronic booking conflicts. I just took my steel and amp and said "here I am" I played with about five or six different acts and had fun.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 4:49 pm    

Jerry....thanks to the good Lord I've been lucky to play at those (opry) venues since about 1994 instead of club venues.....as they say, twice the money at half the hours. Of course the longest "Opry" performance in this area is the "Oklahoma Opry" that has been performing in a defunct movie theater since (?my guess is 30years or so). An aside note is that I've played everywhere in the Oklahoma area EXCEPT the Opry. ?????? www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 20 November 2001 at 04:50 PM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 6:07 pm    

Jerry.

Years back, I use to be the staff steel player at an Opry in Arkansas called the "Mountain Home Opry." This was an old skating rink converted to an Opry House which would seat about 500 people. They always had a big turn out at this, and would bring in Nasville artists about once a month.

You're right about these things, they really are a lot of fun.

Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 9:52 pm    

They call ours "The Brush Country Jamboree". There are many of them all over Texas, and the ones close to each other try to have the shows on alternate weeks. Ours in on the first Tuesday of the month, in the colliseum at the Live Oak Co. Fairgrounds. We have a house band (with the unfortunate luck of having me on steel, most of the time). (Occasionally I have to cover guitar, but not often).

We have an older crowd with the average age being 60+, so we do all old country and gospel music. It's great practice. We average around 400 people, depending on how many winter Texans are in the area. Not too bad for extremely rural county with no large cities in it.

Our show is a little different, as we donate our "talent", the Fair board donates the building, and the door goes to raise money for the FFA, FHA and other scholarships like that for the kids.

Take care,

Les

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 10:05 pm    

Yes Fred, you are right. That was the Old Dominion Opry in Williamsburg, Va. I was there about 2 years. That is where I got to work with (and become good friends) Ben Brogdon. The staff bass man at the Lexington show plus a lot of other steel shows around the country. Great bass player.

Greg

P.S. Thanks for the pic on the Flynn website

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2001 6:45 am    

Jerry,
Here's a link to the show I play on. It's every Fri. & Sat. Theater seats 450. It's not an "Opry" per se, in that we do musicals with actors and stuff once in a while. Lot's of fun to play, and the variety keeps my chops up. JC
www.laketheater.com

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2001 11:39 am    

I've worked four seasons with a little opry show in Bowling Green Missouri. It only seats 215 people, and it's absolutely NOT a fancy theater,but I've really enjoyed working there. Also, there are five other small town opry shows within an hours drive of Troy. All total, three seem to be doing well with crowds,the rest struggle to attract customers. I think the reason some do better then others has little to do with the quality of the music, but how well the band and managemet mingle and socialize with the audience during intermission. A friendly, family-like atmosphere goes a long way in the local entertainment business.