The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  P. Franklin/Steel Concerto CORRECTION
Michael Levine

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2001 9:48 am    

Sorry folks--I not only gave you the wrong year (April 2002 not 2001) but messed up one of Paul's credits. I know he has won a major steel playing award about ten times, but now I've forgotten who gave it to him! (Obviously NOT the CMA which doesn't have a separate steel category.) Anyone know for sure?

Also, to Paul's sister--I accidently erased your email. Please write me again. Yes, I am Sam's brother, all you Nashvillians.

Anyway here's the post again, a bit righter:

I hope everybody in traveling distance to Nashville will come to the world premiere of the Concerto for Pedal Steel Guitar and Orchestra featuring Paul Franklin as soloist with the Nashville Chamber Orchestra. There are three concerts: Fri. April 5, Sat. April 6, and Sun. April 7, 2002.

The piece is a three movement orchestral concerto and is extremely challenging for the soloist. It uses the pedal steel in ways that most people (not on this list) wouldn't think of as something it could do.

Of course, it helps to have one of the greatest virtuosos of the instrument, Paul Franklin to play it! (Paul was inducted into the Steel Hall of Fame last year.)

The composer is me, Michel Levine. I've had other concert music pieces played at Lincoln Center in NYC, and performed by the Atlanta and Buffalo symphonies. But I used to play fiddle in a country band and have had a twenty-year love affair with the pedal steel.

Anyway, the concert is at the Blair School of Music, 2400 Blakemore Avenue, Nashville. Call the Nashville Chamber Orchestra office at 615-256-6546 for tickets.

Any questions, you can email me at MLMusic@earthlink.net.

Michael Levine

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 10:00 am    

I'm adding a reply only to knock this to the top of the list so everyone sees that the concert is April 2002 not 2001.

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 2:03 pm    

Michael,

I don't know if Paul has more than one sister but the only one I've seen on the forum is:

Theresa Galbraith
Email: honda56@aol.com

Paul has won the Academy of Country Music (ACM) Awards for Steel Guitar Player of the Year many times. Try the link below to see a complete list.
http://www.country.com/cmt/event/acm/acm-2001-past-winners-2.jhtml

He was also nominated 11 different years by the Country Music Association (CMA) for Musician of the Year (no wins but as most of you know it's a huge achievement just to get nominated)
http://www.cmaawards.com/2001/search_artists/view_artist_762.htm

What an incredible achievement !!!!!!! How can you tell I'm a big fan