The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  We're Building a REAL Steel Guitar
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 12:29 pm    

Good point. More thermal mass will take longer to change temperatures.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 4:47 pm    

Lynn and Tom: You're both right. The rate of expansion of any metal doesn't change with its dimensions; but thicker metal will change slower because of the ratio of surface area to volume. You could think of the heat penetrating the metal at a certain rate until the centre is at the same temperature as the surface. The other thing to consider is that the strings and the metal will expand at the same time, so it could be argued that the coefficient of expansion of the steel strings is closer to that of the steel body than to that of wood or bakelite, so maybe it will stay in tune better than with a wooden body. It'll be interesting to find out. Very Happy

It's a similar comparison to that between a wooden-bodied Dobro and a metal-bodied National.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 6:41 pm    

Which alloy of stainless are you using Alan?? I know there are numerous types of stainless, like 300 and 400 series etc.

Philip Bender

Palmetto FL USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 11:34 pm     Steel guitar

Hey Alan,
The sketch I was referring to is on the "finished dbl 10" article, on the 2d page, and is of a doubleneck sheet metal guitar. Just thought you might be interested.
Phil

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2009 3:56 am    

Quote:
Right now we're mocking one up to see how it sounds.

I've been playing a hollow aluminum Telecaster for a few months now, and I can assure you that a lack of treble or "bite" is NOT going to be a problem. Mr. Green Are you looking to sell these things, possibly? It seems as though the employees are musically-inclined.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2009 11:18 am     Re: Steel guitar

Philip Bender wrote:
...The sketch I was referring to is on the "finished dbl 10" article, on the 2d page, and is of a doubleneck sheet metal guitar...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=154033&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=finished+dbl&start=25
When I get to the stage of a double-necked instrument I'll probably have to use a profile something like that. We can cut any size and shape, but we're limited by the number of compound angles we can put in using a press brake. That's why we decided to make the back separate instead of all out of one piece of metal. You can't bend a complete box because on the third bend it gets in the way of itself. Shocked

Bill Creller wrote:
Which alloy of stainless are you using Alan?? I know there are numerous types of stainless, like 300 and 400 series etc.
I'll find out, Bill. I'm just an accountant. Embarassed

David Mason wrote:
Quote:
Right now we're mocking one up to see how it sounds.

I've been playing a hollow aluminum Telecaster for a few months now, and I can assure you that a lack of treble or "bite" is NOT going to be a problem. Mr. Green Are you looking to sell these things, possibly? It seems as though the employees are musically-inclined.

I expect the tone to be purer than with wood, with fewer overtones, as the material is more uniform. It remains to be seen whether the steel will absorb vibration or amplify it. Steel is a lot more dense than aluminium. I don't know whether we'll end up selling them. If we did we'd have to end up paying the company for the use of their laser, and that could make them prohibitively expensive. At this stage we'll play it by ear. Winking Winking

Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2009 11:29 am    

My Cruztone is basically a sandwich of metal plates with wood in the center, and it sounds quite good. Perhaps you could use a wood core if needed.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2009 12:23 pm     questions

Alan, really cool experiment ! Cool

A few Questions:

1. What is the material sheet size you are working from eg; 4X8 foot sheet or what ever, I realize you are most likely using a cut off, but I am curious as to the standard sheet size your company starts with.

2. Next what is the outer dimension of your cut out ?
it looks somewhere like 14-16 inches X 32 - 36 inches. I am just trying to determine how many pieces per material sheet would be the yield.

3. With your cad set into the Laser CNC Server , what is the total run time on the big daddy machine?

4. What is the aproximate labor time to bend and weld the main body before any detail add on's like the bridge work etc.

5 What was the hour investment time at the CAD computer to do the layout. Including all of the "Oh By The Way's" and Changes so far in your design.

All of this is working up to my approaching your company to give GeorgeBoards a bid quote to do a production run of my personal design Bottom to Top. Very Happy

MR.Booards

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2009 5:01 pm    

George: I'm not at work right now, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to answer your questions. The company did used to charge out the computer centre when we first got it, but we found that it was uneconomical, since the customers wanted to use metals which we didn't ordinarily keep in stock, and it was taking hours to do the programming, which held up production. Right now we're just slipping it in between official projects and using offcuts. If it gets to be a commercial proposition it will drop out of my hands and become a company project. Sad

Philip Bender

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2009 1:54 am     Steel Guitar

Aloha Alan,
What gage of stainless steel are you using, and it the thickest you may use?
Phil

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2009 12:05 pm    

We're using 304 Stainless, 14 gauge for the top and sides, and 11 gauge for the back. I believe the thickest steel that can be accomodated by the machine is 3/4". That would make for an enormously heavy instrument, of course, and you wouldn't be able to bend it on a press brake.

Tom took it home over the weekend and strung it up, and reckons it sounds good. He'll bring it in tomorrow and I'll be able to check it out. This is a prototype, of course.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 7:20 am    

Here are some more pictures of the working prototype. The seams aren't completely welded up yet. It weighs in at 12½ lbs. The tuners are just some cheapo ones I took off an old mandolin. I'll replace them with Grovers. The machine head is longer than needed, as I shall eventually fit 10 or 12 strings. The way it's designed the configuration can be changed easily.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 8:41 am    

Looks like a fun project. It's got my wheels turning. I'll been curious as to what tonal qualities it will carry. When I used that extruded aluminum it was a very high end sound and didn't carry much low end.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 9:49 am    

The press seems to do a nice job stamping the body out. This only a prototype I suspect, and you will likely have more ideas as you get farther into it. Smile
14 gauge and 11 gauge is pretty stout stuff. It should be quite solid.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 4:14 pm    

It was in my air-conditioned office this morning, and tuned to standard G tuning. I intentionally left is out in my car in the hot sun, and after 8 hours of that it was still in tune. I brought it home this evening and plugged it into a Peavey Nashville amplifier. To me, it sounded like any other lap steel. What was absent was overtones. I think the steel is so stable that it doesn't add overtones like wood does. It doesn't have a fingerboard right now, but I'll record something on it, and play it by ear....

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 6:43 pm    

Alan, I have been watching these threads since you first posted here about your "steel guitar".

I find your ideas very interesting.

It's refreshing to see someone trying something entirely different than what everyone else is doing.

Keep thinking and designing. Idea

Can't wait to hear it! Cool

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 7:53 pm    

We're thinking of cutting the fingerboard, nut and bridge brackets all out of one piece of metal. That would mean the fret markings would always be EXACTLY in the right place.

On the next prototype the machine head will be narrower, improving the angle of the strings.

One of the variations will be for a multiple-course instrument, with octave pairs, similar to the lap steel I built for Basil.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2009 1:48 pm    

More progress...

Here we have the fingerboard, nut and bridge all cut out of one piece of metal, so it's absolutely impossible for the frets to go out of position. They're calculated to the thousandth of an inch. Notice the engraving. Eventually the entire instrument will be engraved. Notice, too, how the fingerboard loops around the pickup.

Here's how the fingerboard looks. Notice the lugs bent to take the bridge and nut. Notice also the positioning dots, which are copper inserts. Another idea we have are frets in the form of slots, with a celluloid backing, and a light inside the guitar, so that the frets would light up in a dark location. The fretboard is almost a saleable item in itself.

We've noticed that stainless steel picks up dirt and grease very easily from sweaty hands. Maybe a final clear varnish would prevent that.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2009 1:57 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:
It was in my air-conditioned office this morning, and tuned to standard G tuning. I intentionally left is out in my car in the hot sun, and after 8 hours of that it was still in tune....

As a follow on to that, a wooden lap steel that I was keeping alongside it for comparison had gone WAY out-of-tune when I went to play it this afternoon.

Gary Stevenson

Northern New York,USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2009 6:09 pm    

That sure is a kool looking lapper. Can't wait to here the sound.And your right the fret board would be interesting to sell alone.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 6:46 am    

Here are some advancements. We redesigned the machine head to bring the strings more in line with less bending. This is a 12-string variant, which will be set up with double courses.

We can add any number of pickups by just copying and pasting the hole and dragging it into the required location.

We intend to put a second piece of metal in the machine head, with a slight gap between that and the outside, to reduce the pressure on the cogs. The tuners we're using were designed for a wooden instrument, and the metal is much thinner than wood, which puts more bending moment on the gears. If we didn't use some sort of spacers the tuners would wear quickly.

On the positive side, we think we can get away without using bushings, which would be essential in a wooden instrument.

Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 5:11 pm    

Looks nice! I like the integral ashtray! Smile

Dennis Brown

Gowen, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2009 3:34 pm     New update?

Hello, waiting for another update. Got anything for us? Rolling Eyes
Dennis.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2009 4:30 pm    

My colleague Tom has made a lot of progress with the 12-string version, but he took it home to work on, so I haven't had chance to photograph it yet. We're working on the project most days... Very Happy

Philip Bender

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2009 5:03 pm     Steel Guitar

Aloha Alan,
In studying your design, I wondered if you could integrate tabs for the nut and bridge to clean up the assembly. I know that you would lose the one pc concept for the fret board, but it should be just as accurate don't you think.
Phil