The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dugg Collins at Stagecoach,Fort Worth,Tex. Nov 2nd
Peggy Poovey

Dallas,Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 12:06 pm    

If you want to hear some great traditional Country Music, come on out to the Stagecoach Ballroom in Fort Worth, Texas, this Friday night Nov.2nd. Dugg will be preforming his music from his new CD. and Jim Loessberg will be playing steel. If you can't make it Friday Dugg and Jim will be at the ET Record shop on Sat.

Peggy Poovey

------------------

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 1:03 am    

Dear Peggy,

Thank you for mentioning Dugg's upcoming performances in Fort Worth and I am looking forward to seeing you on Friday (and also on Saturday night in Bandera).

This will be the only time this year Dugg will be in Texas and I urge anyone who has never heard him sing in person to come spend the evening with us at the Stagecoach on Friday and/or the afternoon with us at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop.

Dugg and I will play with the house bands in both locations and Dugg will be singing all the tunes off his new album, "Sounds Like Texas" (which is heavy on fiddle and steel) as well as all the Texas dancehall favorites.

Anyone interested in knowing more about Dugg can go to www.startexrecords.com to read his bio. Just click the link above the "Sounds Like Texas" album then click "Dugg Collins' Bio" on the left.

Best wishes,

Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Loessberg on 31 October 2001 at 01:05 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 6:34 am    

WEll I certainly wish I could be there to hear and experience Dugg and of course you Jim with your awesome Steel Guitar playing pal.
But I have a gig......but folks; I have Dugg's CD and it is the highlight of my CD changer...along with Justin Trevino and of course Connie Smith.......so if you can even think about seeing and hearing Dugg and Jim live......"Do it" and it will be the best gig you've heard all year.
Ricky

Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2001 11:39 am    

Dangit. Wish I wasn't busy this weekend, Like Ricky, Duggs CD is always being listened too at my house.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2001 11:45 am    

Well, I'm not busy and do plan to be at the Stagecoach this evening to listen to Jim Loessberg and find out who this Dugg guy is while I'm there. Maybe someone could leave my name at the door, then I'd have enough cash to buy a CD or two.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2001 11:41 pm    

I just got back from listening to a great night of singin' and pickin'! Jim Loessberg played his butt off, and Dugg sounded superb. It was an extra special treat to finally meet Peggy! I also got to visit with my old buddies Al Muladeau and Wayne Mulligan.

This was some of the best music I have heard in a long time BUT the band outnumbered the customers. People, we all moan about what's happening to traditional country music, but it WILL go by the wayside if we don't get out and support it. I know there are a bunch of pickers that didn't have gigs this Friday night and y'all should have been there. I put in a full day of work but I was able to get out and listen. Cowjazz is playing at Big Balls of Cowtown this weekend and I'm going to do my best to get out and see them tomorrow night.

Peggy Poovey

Dallas,Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 4:44 pm    

Jim,It was nice to finally meet you too, enjoyed our visit. And yes everyone missed a good show, and I totally agree we have to support what good Country music there is are we will soon not have any to listen to. Dugg is an outstanding traditionalist, and if you have the opportunity to see and hear him you will not be disappointed.

Contact Jim Losseberg at www.startexrecords.com for CD information.

Thanks
Peggy Poovey

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 7:45 pm    

Not to piss and moan, but this sort of thing really gets to me. For all the bitching about "OUR kind" of music being dead that goes on here in Forumland, what do most people do to support club owners so that they don't take a bath on shows like this, thereby insuring that the traditional artist will never get booked back?

You got it... they stay home and complain that the radio doesn't play the music they want to hear FOR FREE!

The "marketplace" decides what products and services we receive. If there was enough money following traditional music around the market... either live shows, recordings, or both... the marketplace would see to it that the consumer received traditional music.

Money talks, the other stuff walks.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 1:31 am    

Jim,

If I had seen your post before I left for Fort Worth I would have been happy to have left your name at the door. I appreciate you coming and thanks for the nice words.

Peggy, as always thank you for all you do for traditional Country music. Bandera was fun again, huh?

Herb, you are right on the money. 13-year old girls buy the hell out of Britney Spears records, that's why there is plenty of that music to be found and part of the reason contemporary Country radio sounds like it does.

Garth is doing a television special this Friday, I'll bet it will be sold out and I'll bet millions of people will watch. We had about sixty people at our dance.

I'm not complaining but I am trying to point out that this music is dying out and the only way it has any chance of surviving is with the support of those who love the music.

For anyone interested in helping, I suggest you attend performances where real Counrty music is played; when you see traditional Country records, buy them; seek out radio stations and internet broadcasts (www.kmil.com M-Th, 9:07 - 10:00 a.m., Central) that play real Country music and support the sponsors you hear on the stations.

Otherwise it will be over sooner or later. There are very few of us left who are are willing to lose lots of money trying to keep the music from dying. I guess I'm stupid enough to keep trying.

Best wishes,

Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Loessberg on 06 November 2001 at 01:32 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 1:46 am    

Herb is Right.....!!!! Jim is Right.....!!
Hey Jim your not the stupid one....it is us that don't come to these shows that are Stupid.
I haven't had a night off in 2 months until tomorrow(or tonight)Tues.....but guess where I'll be instead of at the house; or at some show listening to some idiot trying to sing like Robert Earl Keen????...yes Listening to Justin Trevino singin' his A$$ off and you playing your A$$ off at Ginny's Litt' Longhorn in Austin Texas.
I will be supporting real country music by attending this show and telling all my friends to come or buy the stuff....."but what are the rest of ya'll doing"???
Ricky

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 3:56 am    

Who Me? It's not feasable for you guys to come very close to my home base. Thats why I spend 2 to 3 weeks a year in Texas. Most of those nights I'm out there at shows.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 8:50 am    

I agree. If we dont want traditional country music to die, we had better get out, and support it!I go see every real country band that I know is playing in this area.I also have a website that promotes traditional country. If I still had good health, I'd be out pickin, and singin, as often as possible.I just wish there were more traditional country bands to go see!!!
http://leecountry.s5.com

Peggy Poovey

Dallas,Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 9:31 am    

Ricky, If there was anyway I could be back in Austin tonight,I would be there. I got back to Dallas at 6:30pm Monday, after seeing Dugg Friday,left for Bandera to arrive in time to see Curtis Potter at 3:00 in Bandera Sat. Then it was time to see Jake Hooker, Justin Trevino and Curtis on stage together at the Cabaret, what an AWESOME SHOW. It does not get any better than those three singing country music the way it should be. We had Jim Loessberg on steel. What an evening. Sunday afternoon it was back to The Saloon to hear Justin, where we had the pleasure of hearing the AWESOME Dicky Overbey and Rick Price playing together.Twin fiddles is one thing but two steelers with so much talent,WHOW!!/. You would think that I got enough fix of great music, but if I didn't have a day job I would be back in Austin tonight for Justin"s show.
Also let me say that I totally agree with everything You, Jim and Herb say about our music.We have to all support it are we will loose it.

Peggy Poovey

jlsmith48

blackwell ok usa
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 2:47 pm    

Does anyone know where I can order Dugg Collins new album on line. I tried ETs record shop. Not available and I live in the sticks. HELP,HELP.

MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 3:05 pm    

Mr. Smith, The Dugg Collins CD is available at Discount String Warehouse. Email me for more info or call 1-270-886-2954.

[This message was edited by MALCOLM KIRBY on 06 November 2001 at 03:07 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 4:45 pm    

Or go to www.startexrecords.com and you can order online with PayPal.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 11:29 pm    

Peggy you've done your duty over and beyond....it's the others that are falling behind....and not you Janice....your a huge supporter of Traditional Country Music...you have all the records honey.
I just got home from the Justin Trevino gig with Loessberg on steel and Scott Moon on Fiddle and it wasn't "wall to wall" people; but it WAS "wall to wall" Country Music.
Jim gave me the Frenchie Burke CD and just listened to it; and it is another "WINNER" in Traditional Country Music.
If ya don't got it......GET IT..and you will be supporting real country music and give it a chance to continue on.
Another great Jim Loessberg production and anything on this site... www.startexrecords.com ...is a BIG WINNER in Real Country Music.
Thanks Jim and thanks for some great pickin' and thanks for playing Farewell Party...just like Jimmy Day played it...as it took me back to the day we said our goodbyes to the man...and "Farewell Party" was the last song played.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 06 November 2001 at 11:30 PM.]

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 1:11 am    

Mr. Smith,

I would be very happy if you ordered your copy of Dugg's album from Malcom Kirby. He was among the first to stock it.

I am surprised that you couldn't find the album on the Ernest Tubb website. I looked too and could not find it. I have brought it to their attention.

Boy, I wish everyone supported Country music like all of you who have posted here. Thank you all very much for your efforts in keeping a dying art alive.

Ricky, my dad taught me to play that Jimmy Day break. It's one of my all time favorites. I'm glad you liked it!

Best,

Jim

MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 9:44 pm    

Thanks for the plug Jim Loessberg.
I took care of jlsmith48's request for the Dugg Collins' CD. He also purchased, from us, the Frenchie Burke CD (thanks jlsmith48)
Keep up the good work Jim, and keep it country.

Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 12:56 pm    

Since I am the only person that has contributed to this thread that wasn't at Dugg's gig, or been exonerated by Ricky, I kind of feel that it looks like Herbs post may have been directed at me ???

I'm pretty sure (hope) that wasn't Herb's intention, but it reads like it when you're as paranoid as me.

Jeez! I was busy last weekend(rehearsing, I need to). Would loved to have heard Dugg sing, even if it meant a 400 mile round trip).

I reviewed Dugg's album in the last issue Western Swing Monthly just cus I thought it was a fine album, and regularly support bands in the area when I can. Thought I was doing my bit to support this music!!!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 1:40 pm    

Quote:
I'm pretty sure (hope) that wasn't Herb's intention, but it reads like it when you're as paranoid as me

Steve
My my, we are paranoid, aren't we?

Even though I was tossing voodoo darts at a small cloth statuette of you while I was typing my post (cu-ra-re, ho ho), I wouldn't say that you were the person at which I was addressing my diatribe per se...

On the other hand, you do come out to a lot of the free shows, now don't you...

Right now your paranoia level should be about chest high and rising...

Steve, fuhgeddaboudit, you're one of the good guys.

Herb out.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association