The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WSMV News Anchorman "Dan Miller" 1941-2009
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2009 4:00 pm    

Nashville's WSMV Channel 4 has lost longtime News Anchorman "Dan Miller" who passed away wednesday night in his hometown of Augusta, GA. Dan had taken a few vacation days to go down to visit family and see the masters golf tournament. He collasped while taking a walk through the neighborhood where he grew up. Dan was a Steel Guitar fan and through the years had made many friends who were Nashville Steel players. He was 67 years old.

Last edited by Nick Reed on 10 Apr 2009 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total

Bruce Meyer

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2009 8:31 pm    

Nick. I'm surprised more of the Middle TN members haven't posted something yet, given the outpouring of emotions on the local media. Dan was a good guy and will be missed in many ways. He reminds me of the many respected newscasters in Chicago while I was growing up. They become like a friend, even though you haven't met them.

Leann Sharp

Nashville,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 2:26 am     Dan Miller

We in Nashville are all in shock. What a loss!

Channel 4 Sports Director Rudy Kalis calls Dan Miller "my dear friend." Kalis was walking with Dan when he died in Augusta:

"He wanted to go out we'd had a long day, he really was in great shape there, just loved every minute of it … We ate dinner and then it got to be about 10 (p.m.) or so and he said, 'You know, the weather's kind of nice. I'd still like to walk through the neighborhood.' I'd already taken a shower but I said, 'Well I'll walk with you because I enjoyed it.' And we were walking and he was telling me the same things he told me last year. Who lived here, who lived there, we went in front of his old house where he was raised. And then he really got short of breath a little bit and we had to stop a couple of times. And then … starting to walk back and all of a sudden he just collapsed. Grabbed my arm and collapsed … We were there on the street, and I was trying to help him as best I could … A car came at us and I waved at them and they stopped and two guys came out and I said, 'Call 911.' And I kept trying to work on Dan, and they called 911, who got there very quickly, emergency vehicles did in 5 minutes or so and I gave it over to them. And you know, they took him to the hospital and we followed … it wasn't minor. It really scared me because the way he fell, he grabbed my arm, and the way he looked at me. My dear friend. (I did) resuscitation as best I knew how. I just didn't know, but believe me, I knew it was serious. My heart was racing, and I was doing a lot of praying at that time. It was a deserted street and yet a car came driving up the road with two young fellows in it that were kind enough. I flagged them down, and they stopped and helped us out … We're the Three Stooges, just as last year. And it was the silliest thing, Dan was like Mr. Magoo out there in his hometown: 'Guys let me show you this, let me show you that.' … He was saying, 'Guys, this is as good as it gets.' … We just loved each other's company … Terry and I both would ask Dan the question, 'You're not going to wear that crazy straw hat again, are you Dan?'"
[color=blue]

We all will miss him.[/color]
www.facebook.com/leann.sharp
www.calsharp.com

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 3:56 am    

I am shocked, Dan was pqrt of my life for the 40yrs I lived in Nashville. Part of the family. Rip
Richard

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 4:26 am    

R.I.P. Dan. Here is one of Dan's favorite songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM6uTPPf0Bk
Here is an interview he did with Tammy Wynette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqf2I_KmNUs

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 5:24 am    

I remember Dan Miller from my Nashville days. I didn't know him well, but had a chance to meet him several times, and he always seemed like an old friend. His interview with a very young Reba, about her cooking skills, was a classic. Prayers and best wishes to his family.

Jim

Judith Whiting

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2009 9:15 pm     Dan Millers Passing

I will be at the services, Dan was a friend, for over
28 years here in Nashville. A true lover also Nick
of the Steel Guitar. Lots of us here in the television community are shocked and saddened by this
sudden loss of a friend.

judith whiting
www.lilacmoonproductions.com
Lisa Dey Creative Images
music production, demo and master recording,creative imaging,artist
management,songwriter consulting
www.lilacmoonproductions.com
www.nashvillemusicpros.com/profile/judywhiting
www.myspace.com/lilacmoonproductions
www.myspace.com/moodyjudymuzik
www.jpfolks.com Judy Whiting
www.mycountryspace.com/judylilacmoon
www.calmusicians.ning.com/profile/JudyWhiting

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2009 5:52 pm    

Late Tuesday night on Eddie Stubbs' shown on WSM they did a little tribute to Dan. Eddie played the old Red Foley classic Peace in the Valley.
Tommy Shown

Jimmy Campbell

Fayette, Alabama.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2009 7:32 pm    

I saw on some news website the other day about the death of Mr. Dan Miller.

I, like others have said, enjoyed seeing him on TV when I lived in Nashville in the 70's