The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What brand and or model tuner do you use?
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 8:42 am    

If you don't use a peterson, which tuner do you use and why?

I have been using a Boss TU-12 for years and have gotten used to it. Since I tune to 434, 438, 439, 441 etc., I like to see the needle move.

What do you use? Remembering that a lot of newby's will be reading this post.

Chuck Surprised

Chuck Snider

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:08 am    

I'm still a newbie (since July '0Cool and am currently using a Peterson Stroboflip. I had been using a Boss TU-15 (similar to the TU-12) and was pretty happy with it. Although I saw all the great raves about the Stroboflip, and figured when i grow up I'm gonna get me one of those. Well, back in December or January MusiciansFriend had them on sale for $169, and I figured at that price I might be able to justify getting one right away.

Well, after getting it, I was a little disappointed, as I was just as close with my TU-15 as with the StroboFlip. I don't want to give the wrong impression the Peterson tuner is a very good tuner, and due to the pre-programming as well as the capability to program my own specific tunnings. However, it wasn't necessarily a "life changing event" like I thought it would be.

My point is, for the other newbies out there that are currently using other tuners, most likely what you have is adequate, and you shouldn't feel you just have to have one of these StroboFlip to improve your sound. The StroboFlip does have loads of capability for other instruments and special programming, but I think I could've lived without it. I would have been just fine with a Boss TU-15 or TU-12 at less than half the cost of the StroboFlip.

Please don't take this as putting down the Peterson tuner, it is a great tuner. Think of it as a Cadillac, when you might only need a VW.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.

Jerry Kline

Macomb County , Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:17 am     Tuner.

Hi Chuck. I do use a Peterson , but for some of the other Newbies who are not familiar with them.
I am a perpetual Newbie. When I purchased
my 1st steel, a Magnum Pro Select (from the
fine folks at Carter) I followed the advice
of John Fabian and bought a Peterson
Strobo Flip. I'm very glad I did. Very easy
for simple tuning, plus every bell & whistle
for the advanced user. Peterson has an
excellent web site and forum, with a resident
steel tuning guru, who will walk you through
button by button on your desired tuning.
It's visual IS different than 'watching the
needle' but will do the same tasks.

Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:37 am    

the stroboflip is amazing. And I always have it on while I am playing.

I bring it to other peoples homes and they are blown away by its features.

I don't know about the TU15, but the beauty of the strobo is that you can tune your steel and then go tune your guitar, and then a dobro, and then the violin because the settings are all in there.

Last edited by Brian Kurlychek on 29 Mar 2009 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Kline

Macomb County , Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:37 am     one more on Tuners.

Sorry Mr. Chuck H. I don't have a lot of tuner experience, but thanks for keeping us 'Newbies' in mind.
Agree with Mr. Chuck S.
My music store let me use a BOSS TU-12 Chromatic tuner while waiting for the Peterson---nice piece of gear. Less learning curve, for me anyway, than the Peterson. I just matched the needle to the pictures/values shown in my Jeff Newman course books. As a 'Newbie' I found myself overwhelmed with all the choices in gear, lubricants, TONE (lol-gimmie some of that!) etc. Now I keep what works and continue to use the Forum to learn.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:54 am    

I've got by with one of these for the last twenty years

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:59 am     Korg LCA-120 (if you can find one...)

I've been using a Korg LCA-120 flip-top tuner. It will hold one set of presets and has a bright back lit LCD screen. The screen is a good size too, and it's easy to read cents on it. I love it. Since I programmed my offsets, I just tune until the meter is straight up, quite easy. It would be easy to tote it in your pants pocket if you wanted. They sell for about $60. I just did some checking, and it appears they have been discontinued, but some on-line stores appear to still have some, like here:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--KORLCA120

My backup is a Boss TU-15, and it is a nice tuner for sure, but the marks on the little meter are a little small for me.

At the time I was looking, the Peterson Strobo-Flip was approx $200, and I didn't like the price. I know they are an excellent piece of gear, but I'm not paying that much for my current needs.

I would certainly like to get my hands on another Korg WT-12 like I had in the 80's. Wish I hadn't parted with it, but I'm completely satisfied with the LCA-120.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 10:16 am    

Good replies. I agree with them all. I have tuners. I don't know how many. I currently use a Peterson in my rack setup or a StroboFlip if I go rackless to a job.

All that being said, I really think if I were playing just E9 I'd just have an cheap tuner that got my E's in tune. That's what I do with the money neck now. Then I tune all the rest by harmonics and by ear after that. Heck, maybe I could just get by with just an E tuning fork......if, again, I were only doing E9.

But it's for the rear/fun neck that I find I like the convenience of my pre-programmed tuner. That's why I still carry the thing.

Ivan Funk

Hamburg Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 10:23 am    

Boss TU-2.
I can see it in on the floor in the dark.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 10:56 am    

I use an old Korg AT-12. I have 3 of them. One for the house, one for the studio in the basement, and one that stays in my paca-seat. I've had them for more years than I can remember.

Maybe the newer ones have features this one doesn't, but all 3 of them still work fine, and as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Bernie Hedges

Roseville, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 12:01 pm    

I use a korg AT-2 analog chromatic tuner. I do not like the digital ones at all. It's an older one but has worked flawlessly for years. I have been using it at 440. I just looked in my Scotties Anthology book which lists the tempered tuning with A set at 438.5. I can't set half frequencies but I reset it to 438 so it'll be interesting to see any difference. Unless you're playing with other people I don't think it makes any difference whether its 438 0r 440 as long as the steel is in tune with itself. It may make a difference with a band. I'll find out when I practice this week with it tuned to 438. Another thing is that with a fretless instrument, like a pedal steel, slight differences can be made up with a slight movement of the bar so, except in open postions, the 2 cycles difference is almost moot. Also and probably most important is that the human ear is not the most accurate instrument in the world especially as it gets older. I haven't heard my dog complain at all about my tuning so I think it's ok.

J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 1:08 pm     Tuner

I use a Peterson strobo flip tuner and love it. Its the best money i spent for my rig in a while. Can highly reccommend it to anyone. Jim

Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 3:12 pm    

A Chromatina I bought from Herb Remington 25 years ago. Works great.

Allen Peterson

Ron !

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 3:13 pm    

On gigs I use a Boss TU and at home in the studio I use the AP tuner.
Sort of like the strobo tuners but cheaper.....it's free
You can download it from the web.

Download AP tuner here

Not many people use this one but it is very accurate and handy.Just plug a microphone into your computer and let the computer do the rest.

Ron

John Walden

Simi Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 3:50 pm    

I've been pretty happy with the TU-15, since I started 6 years ago. I too, like to see the needle. Got one for my 6 stringers as well. Larry Petree made the holder for me when I started out. I'm sure that there are better ones, but for the $$$ and reliability, It has been a good tuner.
J. W.

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 4:38 pm    

I have 3 tuners right now, I did use a fender rack mounted tuner, I liked it you would have to really pay attention to your cents when tuning no big deal, I already had an idea how to tune.

Then I got a peterson stob-flip, and it is really nice, it takes the guess work out of tuning, however if you are new you need to understand why we tune to tempered or sweetened tuning.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 5:14 pm    

I tune by ear to a Glokenspiel, otherwise known as a Bell Lyre. They never go out-of-tune. Cool You could also use an electronic keyboard or a xylophone.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 8:06 pm    

I use a Boss TU12 or the tuner in my POD XT. I mostly tune my Es to 441, and tune everything else by ear. If I am watching a meter, I like to have the needle tell me exactly what I am tuned to in cents or Hz. If I had a Peterson, I would tune carefully by ear, and enter my own presets. I would not blindly use any factory presets.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 8:09 pm    

I still use a Korg WT-10 its so easy to tune with
and does a great job.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:27 pm    

I use a Korg CA-30, retails for around 32 bucks but you can find them everywhere for $20. One each for my two pack-seats, and one for the shop. Misplace one or leave it at a gig, it's no big deal.

Intonation is mostly about disciplined hand-eye coordination for correct bar placement on frets, a good ear, and a well-tempered vibrato.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:34 pm    

To each his[or her] own,Been using the TU-12 for years,It gets the job DONE,does it FAST,and EASY,can't think of any reason to use anything else,unless maybe bragging rights to how much I may have paid for some fancy tuner that does the same thing as my Boss TU-12, If you are tuning a note to 438,439,440,441,etc, my 80 dollar will do that just as well as some 300 dollar tuner,those of you with perfect pitch don't need a tuner,but I DO. DYKBC.

Tor Arve Baroy

Norway
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 12:51 am    

I use the Boss TU12, what I like about it is that after a while you kinda remember all the different; 439,5-441-etc.etc
Then if you should forget it or loose it, you can easily use another tuner...

Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 1:00 am    

I have used all kind of tuners, but my favourite is by far the Peterson Strobo Stomp. I love the true bypass and the mute function that enables me to get tuned on a noisy stage.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 4:30 am    

If you are new to steel it is a no brainer, a Peterson will save you much time trying to figure out the tuning thing and let you just play more.
With a more experienced player it really doesn't matter because you know how to tune and adjust tunings to taste.
I think the more experienced players forget and get impatient not remembering there was a time in the beginning when it was hard to make a G,C,D even on a 6 string..let alone tune a steel.
I use a Peterson V-Sam and just got a Stroborack YEAH

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 5:38 am    

Using a Boss TU-15 at the moment but there is definitely a Peterson Stroboflip in my future! Also have a couple of Korg CA-30s in some guitar cases somewhere.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.