The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kayton Robert's loss....
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 8:06 am    

This morning at 1:15 AM, IvaLee Roberts (Kayton's wife) passed away of lung cancer.

I am very saddened by this. Last August 25th and 26th, my wife and I had the pleasure of being treated to a private concert for 6 hours over the two day period, by Kayton and IvaLee in their home in Greenbriar. TN.

For those of you that do not know them, the following should be noted:

Kayton was the featured steel guitar player for the late Hank Snow for 30 yrs, prior to his death. And what a career it was. Kayton followed Jimmy Crawford who played steel for HS for several years. As some know, HS was not the easiest singer in the world to work for. But somehow Kayton survived. Very Happy

Kayton met IvaLee as a young man. They fell in love and since both of them are extremely gifted in playing music, they had a bond that continued ever since. She played the piano. They embellished each other's playing like few others I have ever seen.

They could play ANY thing. Even Hazel (my wife) who was not normally a demonstrative person, was in awe when Kayton and IvaLee played for us in their home last year. Hazel and I talked about it all the way to Chicago (where she sadly passed away).

No matter what we asked them to play, they did it and it was incredible to hear their God given talents. Then I asked Kayton if he could play "our" theme song; Eddy Arnold's "I'll Hold You in my Heart, 'til I can Hold You in my Arms", which Eddy recorded in the fall of 1947, just two months after I met Hazel.

He said yes and as Kayton and IvaLee traded licks back and forth, it brought tears to our eyes. It also brought back loving nostalgia, that I shall take to my grave.

In fact, Kayton volunteered at his own expense to come to Hazel's funeral and play for the service. For which I shall be forever eternally grateful.

I loved this man and IvaLee dearly. When I spoke to him while IvaLee was in the hospital recently, he said, "Carl, you and I have something in common now".

And indeed we do. And I want to state publicly how much I admire and love this dear man and his beloved wife. May Jesus bring him comfort and peace, and may HE rest precious IvaLee's soul.

carl

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 9:47 am    

Carl: I had met Kayton several times over the years and was always impressed by his playing especially the things he did on the diatonic tuning. I last saw him at your Steel Guitar Extravaganza in Atlanta a few years back and what a friend he was in deed.

Was it you who commented on his guitar at the Sunday Morning Service saying: "Just goes to show you that a guitar doesn't have to look good to sound good !" or words to that effect. I have smiled over that for these last few years.

And in case you didn't happen upon it about a year ago; my wife was killed by a drunk driver on March 19. So I too have something in common with my steel friends.

Regards, Paul

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 11:09 am    

Kayton I am so sorry to hear about Ivalee.
I remember she didn't feel to good at Lex, KY
When things settle down give me a call.
Your in our prayers.
Love You Man!
Danny
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 2:51 pm    

Kayton I'm real sorry to hear of your loss of your wife. GOD BLESS you in this time of need...I played Steel on a show that you and Hank did in Grand Blanc Michigan years ago and was and then and still impressed with your skill on steelguitar....RS

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 3:11 pm    

Quote:
Was it you who commented on his guitar at the Sunday Morning Service saying: "Just goes to show you that a guitar doesn't have to look good to sound good !" or words to that effect. I have smiled over that for these last few years.

It may have been. I do not know dear brother. Kayton told me he purchased that Fender custom D-8 in 1952 and that he still uses that one guitar.

The piano that Ivalee played on in their home, he bought her for a wedding gift back in the 50's.

And yes, that steel shows a LOT of wear and tear. But he is a master at it, and again, there is NOTHING he cannot play and play it well.

I cannot begin to comment on just how much he is gifted by Jesus. May He continue to bless Kayton, especially in the coming days, weeks and months. I would never have believed non physical pain could be soooooo horrible.

So you Paul and I too, have a bond that others face and yet others may face one day. But Jesus said, "I will not tax you, beyond that which ye can stand". And He won't. So the comfort will come to those who believe in him. Praise His holy name.

carl

Last edited by C Dixon on 15 Mar 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Callaway

Bob & Barbara of Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 3:14 pm    

Kayton. We are truly sorry for the loss of your wife. Our prayers are with you at this very sad time. Bob,Barbara Callaway Charlie,Margit Stepp with Derby Steel Guitars.
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 4:31 pm    

Kayton brings a great smile to my face every time I get to hear him play. Was it his dear wife who played with him at St. Louis a couple of years ago?
My deepest sympathy goes out to an extremely talented man who has touched the hearts of many along the way.
"Teach Your Children Well"

Tamara James

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 4:33 pm    

Kayton,
I'm very sorry to hear the sad news. I pray you and yours find comfort in the lord. Bless you.

-tamara james

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 5:32 pm    

My sincerest condolences to Kayton at this difficult time. I will ask my children to say a prayer for her tonight.

Billy Robinson

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 6:57 pm    

Kayton,
Today your days are dark but Ivalee has created many beautiful memories for you and your family. She was
a person of many talents and a loving wife as well as
a guiding mother.

We hold you and the family in our hearts and prayers.

Billy and Carolyn Robinson

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 8:00 pm    

Kayton,

Our extreme condolences to you and your family.

John and Gail Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 8:55 pm    

I've never been a fan of non-pedal steel but KR is nothing short of incredible looming over his instrument and stunning me with his craft.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 4:57 am    

Kayton you have always been one of my favorite non- pedal steel players.

I am praying that JESUS CHRIST give you HIS Peace and Comfort and GOD bless you!

Terry Wood

Charlie St Denis

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 5:08 am    

Dear Kayton and Family
We are just lost for words. You and your family
are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love from Canada

Charlie and Cheryl

Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 4:49 pm    

Our sincere condolences go to Kayton and family. Kayton and Iva Lee stayed overnight at our place in Nova Scotia some years ago, and we kept in touch at least by mail and by phone through the years. May God bless you and your family and help you through this difficult time.
We'll call you soon,
Keith and Joyce DeLong

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 9:39 pm    

I have never had the pleasure of meeting you Kayton, however I'm hoping to do so in Caroline, AB June 21st. My deepest sympathy is with you and your family at this very sad time.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 9:55 pm    

Kayton my sincere condolences to you and your whole family and friends, Met you and Ivalee in ST.Louis when you 2 played the non pedal show it was great non pedal for sure her playing was nothing short of great either my prayers are with you.

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 6:57 am    

Kayton, my dearest sympathies and condolences go out to you, my friend.

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 9:28 pm    

Mr. Roberts,
Please accept my sincere condolences, and prayers.

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2009 7:21 am     Kayton and Carl

I don't know if you all have seen the video on YOUTUBE that Rick Alexander took at L T Zinn's Hawaiian Show in St Louis. IvaLee is right there playing the piano. What a treasure that video is to us all.
Such sweet humor between them and extended to the audience.
Tears are shed in this house for Kayton's loss.
Also, for Carl Dixon as well, we know his pain is still real.
Thanks Carl,for inviting L T to the Atlanta Show it will always be a great memory. I got to be there. Done so tastefully.
Thnks for getting Kayton back in the loop.
We send our love and prayers to Kayton.
Evelyn

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 5:47 pm    

Carl-I am sorry to hear about Kayton's wife and partner in Music. Please express my deepest sympathy to Kayton...al

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Butch Foster

Pisgah, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 7:21 pm    

Carl, please give Mr. Roberts our sincere sympathy. We will remember him in prayer.