Author Topic:  amps
Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2009 8:28 am    

how many like the nv 400 better than the nv 1000 thanks

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2009 1:01 pm    

I like the modded 400 far more than the 1000. I've tried a couple of 1000's and it seems there's just so little bass response for all the power they claim to have. I like to use an amp with a lot of body and fullness, and very few match up. Conversely, you can get screaming treble from just about anything.

Mike Bowles

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2009 3:18 pm     amps

thanks donny lately im not real happy with my 1000 im thinking about trying a nv 400 thanks again

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 1:13 am    

I had a couple of the 400's, they were a bit heavy, Weight wise. I use the GD Walker Stereo Steel System.
Many years of repetitive lifting and loading did a number on my shoulder. The speakers weigh around 30 lbs each, and the amp head and effects rack weigh around 20 lbs. You can have your choice of either the 1051 Blackwidow Peavey or the 15 inch JBLs. I have the 15 inch JBLs'. And I have noticed a sweeter sound when I play my Emmons P/P through it. Tommy

Wayne Wallett

Shermans Dale, PA USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 8:39 am     NV400 Vs NV1000

Hello Mike,
I have tried (3) NV1000's and didn't care for them. I currently have (2) NV400's mod'd and they are far better sounding. I have a Webb, Evans SE200, (2) NV400's mod'd, a Fender Steel King, a Fender Blues Deluxe w/15" JBL and a NV112 in my studio right now.
The Steel King is best but heavy, Evans next best, Webb, NV400's next, on down the line. Every job requires the right tool. I prefer the Evans or NV400s out live. The NV400 has brute raw power to cut through a loud stage situation, not maybe the prettiest tone but gets the job done. I find that all 12" amps just are a little lacking compared to a 15". Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards,
Wayne
p.s. guitars are LeGrande D10 SKH, Sho-Bud Super Pro, S10 push-pull and Derby D10 9X8. Tried em all.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 9:28 am    

I think they're both good amps, and what I prefer depends on the guitar and application - but mostly I prefer the NV 1000, especially with the Zum and Emmons Legrande SKH and P/P. I expect that if I was mostly focusing on 6th playing in, let's say, the Chalker style, I might feel differently. The 400 definitely does have a beefier sound, but to my tastes, the tonal quality doesn't quite match up on the upper midrange and high end where a lot of the critical E9 sounds are. It's not the spectral density in that range, but the character of the tone in that range.

As far as bass response goes, one of the sound guys the other night suggested I turn the bass down on my 1000. This is the same guy who, several years ago, told me that my Vibro-Champ was too loud in a full band with a drummer. I politely smiled and said thanks.

I'm pretty sure my NV 400 is stock - I didn't mod it and was told it was stock - so I can't really offer a comparison there. Maybe I should try modding mine, but I like having different tonal options. Maybe it's possible to get it all in one amp, but I usually find amp designs generally trade off one thing for another - a general feature of design in general.

This stuff is so much a matter of personal taste. If you can't tailor the sound to your liking, then it may not be the right amp for you.

Mike Bowles

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2009 2:18 pm     amps

thanks guys i think most of my problem is not understanding how to eq my equiptment i think too a lot of it is in my hands i sat down last night and tried working on my bar hand and pick attack i was more into playing so things sounded much better i have been playing with cds i think i was trying to play too much instead of laying out when the steel should not be playing i think discipline might be the key to getting a better sound thanks guys for your help

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 8:20 pm     '' Rick Johnson Cabinets ''

I have two Nashville 400's and a 1976 Fender Vibrosonic W/15'' J.B.L. D-130 . I use one Nashville 400 that is split up into two pieces . I had my buddie Rick Johnson make cabinets for me and i love them . If you need great cabinets get in touch with Rick ,you wont go wrong ! So i carry only one amp now and thats enough for me ! G.P. P.S. i never liked the 1000 at all . My 400's has a much fuller sound as Donny already said . I don't know why Peavey stopped making them because they don't have anything better than they are . Yup just my opinion ! -----112's no comparison !!! IMHO !

Last edited by Gary Preston on 12 Mar 2009 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pit Lenz

Cologne, Germany
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 6:51 am    

Mike Bowles wrote:
Quote:
...instead of laying out when the steel should not be playing i think discipline might be the key to getting a better sound thanks guys for your help

This is the moment where the tonal difference between the N400 and the N1000 becomes quite subtle and hard to distinguish for my ears... Laughing

Bill Hanson

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 7:24 am    

I've played and heard a multitude of amps in my 6-string days. About 5 years ago I owned a Mesa Boogie, 50 watts of Class A tubed. It was loud enough to crack the sheetrock and maintained incredible tone throughout. Hands down, the best I ever heard. My question: Has anyone here ever used an MB or heard one used with a PSG ?

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 11:27 pm    

I had two NV 400 amps, they were good amps,but I had to get rid of them because of their weight. They were tearing up my shoulder. Loading and unloading, I now play through GD Walker's Stereo Steel system. I still get a good sound out of it, and it is a alot easier on my shoulder also. The 2 speakers weigh 30 lbs each and the amp head weighs about 20lbs. It's a lot easier than carrying the 60lbs that each amp weighed. Tommy

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2009 6:20 am    

Bill,
I'm sure our fearless leader, b0b, plays through a Mesa Boogie preamp.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2009 7:30 am     amps

Well Robby Springfield and I had this conversation just last weekend. And it gets back to individual taste and how you pick and your steel and the wires you hook up with and your volume pedal and so on.
The black widow speaker is not the best or worst sounding speaker out there. You can tell what the primary sound of a speaker is going to be by just thumping the cone. If you thump a speaker and a bunch of boxy sound jumps out at you the speaker is going to sound that way in the amp. I changed out the speaker in my 1000 and it made all the difference in the world it's like a whole different beast. It's should be like going and buying stereo or PA speakers. Go and listen to a bunch of different ones and pick out the most pleasing to what you want to hear. I still have to pull some mids out but in a different range than before and not as much. Normally it's that area around 500 to 800 where the amp needs a bunch of help. There are plenty of great sounding NEO speakers out there that can lighten your load as well. There are many more choices out there than ever before as far as amps that work well for steel. I've used Webb , Evans , Music Man, Fender, Peavey and they are all great in their own way. If everyone's needs and taste where the same there would only be one amp by one company.
Robby has two different speakers in his cab that have different sounds that blend well together. I've tried that in combos and it can give a amp a whole new sound.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2009 8:01 am    

I like the modded 400 much better..
Hook

Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 2:03 am    

IMHO they are both fine amps. I have both but prefer my "FOXVILLE 400" mainly because it is physically smaller.

David Sanderson

Mayfield , Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 8:31 am     Peavey TransTube 212 EFX

Is a Peavey TransTube 212 EFX a good steel amp?
I now have an Evans FET 500 Cool
David Sanderson