The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Parts for a Fender 800 Pedal Steel
Pat Keiner

Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 6:25 pm    

I'm looking for some pedal rods and cables for a sunburst Fender 800. At the moment,it's a very heavy S10 lap steel. Gracias!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 8:17 am    

Hi Pat -

What parts do you have and what specifically are you looking for? The number of pedals determines the size of the main pulley you need, and the rod/turnbuckle levers are a necessary part in addition to cable assemblies. The actual cable harnesses/changer looks/turnbuckles can be made (not stock as the small pulleys are nonexistent, but there are substitutes) but each one is a very specific length depending on the pedal position (1, 2, 3, 4 etc etc) - a cable rig that works for the first pedal will be far too short for pedal # 5, for example.

Feel free to answer here or email me - it's helpful to have a few close-up pictures; one of the big pulley (to know what it can or can't hold as far as cables...lots of workarounds but something that's first on the list), and one showing how many (if any) levers are bolted to the frame that the rod uses to pull the turnbuckle/cable.

Also (and most important of all) - how many pedals do you want, and do you also want knee levers?

I'd suggest also posting this over on the Fender Steel Forum - the guys there may have spare parts and it's a very sharing bunch.

Regards,

Jim Sliff

aka Cablehead/Silverface on the FSF...

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Fender_Steel_Forum/index.php
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Pat Keiner

Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 7:15 pm    

Hey Jim, I do have a functioning 800 that has 6 pedals. I have it resembling an e9 Nashville tuning and I know just what you mean about cable lengths. The cable lengths were designed for a 6th tuning and work now as a "stiff" but functioning E9.
Here are some pictures of the 800 that needs cables. Someone installed what looks like a ZB pickup and drilled out two holes in the pedal board for an 11th pedal option. I do have pedal rods numbered #1,#2,#3,#4,#5,#7,#8.
Some thought must be put in for tuning I want but I was just inquiring about the cables and rods to see if anyone had something. Knee levers may be considered. I'm just having a good time playing and learning about these controversial guitars. Thanks for your help Jim!!

Pat Keiner

Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 7:25 pm    

I'm sorry! The 10th pedal and lever was removed. Just 9 pedals.