The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kline Owners-Stand and Be Counted
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2009 7:38 pm    

Right. If you want to follow the herd, don't get a Kline!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 12:57 am    

Best guitar I ever owned. But, I guess we should burn all Klines and shoot all Kline Players.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 5:24 am    

I head Jeff Newman play live many many times but the best tone I ever heard come out of him was at Scotty's in 1984 when he played his Kline. He did "Crying" and it made your hair stand up. It sounded very much like an Emmons PP except it sounded even more like that than an Emmons does. That same year I was at a clinic with Jeff and Buddy sitting side by side with a Kline and "The Blade" and I do believe the Kline had a little something extra goin on. Maybe it was the focused purity of the fundamental note that you can only get with a keyless.

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 7:23 am    

I think its great that there are many players of each steel guitar brand who are loyal to their guitars. In the end its just strings, a pickup and a pulley system. If everything is adjusted well and you own it and you can shut the bedroom door and play for hours you're in business. The things I like most about the Kline are how perfectly and easily the keyless tuning system works and how small both the keyless system and overall body size is. I also love the "no frills" design. The real esthetic beauty of the Kline (and they are very beautiful guitars) is in its simplicity.

Also, I can't believe these pics of Joe Kline are only about 8 years old. He looks like he's in his mid forties at the most. If he is 45 in these pics then he would have been about 23 when he made my guitar first Kline in 1979. Joe must be at least 60 years old now. Someone must know.
Hey Joe, I know you're reading this. I hope you and Opal are fine. Talk to us! Don

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 9:07 am    

Michael Johnstone wrote:
.. Jeff Newman .. best tone .. when he played his Kline... It sounded very much like an Emmons PP except it sounded even more like that than an Emmons does.

My Klein sounds OK but not especially good. Mine has George L pickup. I see a lot of single coil pickups in the Klein photos here.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 9:37 am    

My Kline came with an extra George'l pickup. I never tried it but my buddy Henry tried it in his Kline and he said the single coil sounded way better. My Kline actually didn't always sound great in live situations but worked beautifully in the studio going direct. The single coil pickup had been rewound at higher resistance. I finally had it rewound back to Kline specs and I think it's much better.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 7:19 pm    

Don - That's exactly what turned my head the first time I saw one. They are so simple and uncluttered...kinda like a 1950 Mercury with a chopped top, pancaked hood, and all the chrome and door handles shaved off...sleek!!!
PRR

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 10:01 am    

Hey Mike Meese, I love your blue Kline. That is so beautiful.

Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 1:35 pm    

I've never played a Kline but I have explored owning one. I realize that's a bit backwards...but I think that aesthetically, it's the most beautiful keyless I've ever seen. That undercarriage scares me, but I'm sure that it's functional from what I've read. The Whitney I've seen pictured on the forum is also a beautiful keyless. I've got a bit of pocket change now so I'm going to try a keyless and see how things go.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 4:24 pm    

Although the Kline undercarriage is similar to a ZB, it is much easier to work on than a ZB. I couldn't do poop working on my ZB's. but the Kline was a piece of cake. I think it's even as easy as my Williams or my Carter.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2009 7:14 pm     HOW MANY KLINE D-10s OUT THERE?

I posted this on a separate link but it's gotten little response so, I'll piggy-back onto this long post if it's OK. How many of you Kline owners have D-10s? steve t

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2009 7:24 pm    

Steve - I'll piggy-back onto your post...how many S-10's are out there? I've never seen one and have often wondered just how many Joe ever made.
PRR

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 10:10 am    

If anyone is interested, I have heard that Larry Fout (used to be a forum member?) has a s12 uni that I used to own for sale. lgfout@gmail.com

This was the best guitar I've ever owned, if I didn't already own one I would jump on this. Also I talked to Joe Kline and he states he will consider doing change over / set ups.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 11:13 am    

Thanks Sonny. Does or will Joe Kline still offer replacement parts?

Thanks
Dave

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 1:46 pm    

I feel sure he has, or can make any part needed (I've never heard of a part breaking or wearing out,,,but I guess anything is possible). I needed a lift kit and he provided it for me.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 2:11 pm    

Can you email me some contact info or let him know that would like to buy this part?:

The part is not broken but I would like to experiment with other pickups without jeapordizing the integrity of the Kline. I found an 12 string BMI pickup (Zane Beck) with a triple coil tap with the exact string spacing as the Kline but the pickup is tall. As you know the pickup height it not adjustable on the Klines unless the cavity is milled out. I have a friend that can do that for me.

Mike Meese

Dover, Ohio, U S A GO BUCKEYES! (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 9:34 pm     The very 1st

Here's Joe posing with the very first Kline.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2009 2:39 am    

BTW, Sonny, how is that LKV-"bar" working for y'all?
PRR

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 12:00 pm    

I have a deal pending on a Kline U12. I just picked up on this thread and now I'm getting really excited. I'm hoping this works out for me. I played a Kline for a period of time back in the 80's. The guitar belonged to someone else in the band. At the time, I owned an Emmons P/P and I remember how there was not a lot of difference in the tone?!?! Later I got the chance to go to Joe's shop and meet with him and his wife Opal. Joe had a lacquer guitar there and made me a fantastic offer to buy it. Alas I was young and couldn't beg, steal or borrow the money. Bothered me ever since. I'm glad that there are so many Kline enthusiasts out there. Bye the way, the last I heard, Joe and Opal live in Hawaii.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 9:23 pm    

I had heard that they lived in Hawaii also, but then last year someone had said that they were back in Ohio. I wish Joe would "come out of hiding" and at least say "HI". Maybe he's afraid of everyone smothering him to death with new orders!!!
What a guitar!!!
PRR

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 6:45 am    

Hey Paul,,the vertical is great,,,had to lower it quite a bit since raising the guitar.

I talked to Joe 3-4 months ago and he said he was living in the Naples-Ft Myers area.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 12:14 pm    

Alien

Last edited by Nick Reed on 21 Dec 2009 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 12:57 pm    

Nick, what a nice thing to say. I suppose we do not have the right perspective on music here in Austin. I play a Kline, and have two of them. Most folks here, and especially last night said "...sounds great." Thank you for your keen insight and articulate contribution to this topic.

Jon

Last edited by Jon Jaffe on 17 Oct 2009 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 1:12 pm    

Well, I'm probably the most recent Kline owner (having just received it Thursday night) and it is a GREAT guitar in every respect.

But then, I live near Austin and have been "unduly influenced" by one of the finest live music and musician communities in the known world. Still, there are more than a few incredible players that have recognized (and commented on) what I am finding to be true...Kline Pedal Steel guitars are among the finest ever made.

And keyless guitars RAWK--functionally and aesthetically.

Alan Cook

Kent,England
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2012 1:29 pm     Two Klines

Just started playing Klines again. Been working on theses for a week or two now, great sound, music to follow.

Alan