The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kline Owners-Stand and Be Counted
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 2:41 pm    

Sonny, I have Jeff Newman's old Kline. I tried to post pictures of it but not having any luck. I bought it from Tom Bradshaw. I sent it to Joe Kline to have some changes made and he told me it was made for Jeff Newman. It was a light orange color (almost a pink) I have painted it different colors several times with spray paint because pink don't go over to good in the mid-west. It was okay when I lived in the Bay Area. Very Happy Anyway, now it is a Black Universal. It also has one of Winnie Winston's homemade knee levers that Joe removed from Winnie's guitar after he received it from Winnie's wife when he passed. It is a real great feeling guitar. I have recently bought a G-2 and keeping with tradition (and tolerating no cabinet drop) I sent it to Paul Redmond to make it keyless and do his magic with it. He is an amazing mechanic and builder.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 4:46 pm    

Yes Rick,,,I remember it now. I have a white one that I would like to change colors,,,may need some pointers from you. What is the serial # of it? Do you know what year it was made?

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 5:05 pm    

Lemme get this straight - you spray painted Jeff Newman's Kline.......?

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 5:29 pm    

That's right Michael..... Several times. I even put a Cadillac emblem on the front of it and Joe Kline cracked up when he saw it. If you peeled the layers off you would come up with the pink; a copper penny color; black; a cement textured color and the final black which is scratched up in spots from bar and pick action. And it never lost it's magical quality but it was time for me to get a new guitar when I heard the note separation and tone quality above the 12th on the G-2. Thank God it is already black. Very Happy

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 5:50 pm    

Sonny, I saw Jeff play at least four klines. But, never a Pink one. But, I can see Jeff playing one. Laughing The one he brought to Alabama was browm mica. I saw him play a white one at his Jams in water town. He was playing a Green one in St Louis, I think, When Bobby Caldwell cut it in half with a chain saw. I almost died. Then I learned it was made out of pine. Funny. Then he brought the brown micaout and blow us away. Dang, just thinking about that makes me want a Kline. Very Happy

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 6:53 am    

I know there are MANY more Kline owners out there???

Jack Klein

Alpena, MI, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 9:03 am     Kline

dont know how to post pics but I have a S10 #4029.
must be about the 74th made. Jack

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 8:41 am    

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 9:59 am    

A bunch of years ago at Scotty's show, Oinck Jackson and I went around to all the steel guitar booths with a tuner, stepped on A and B pedals to check cabinet drop. The Kline was the only one that had 0 cabinet drop. Jody.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2009 1:50 am    

Sonny - What I'd like to know is if there is anyone out there who has ever worn out a Kline!!! I really don't think it can be done, but one never knows. Due to the changer design, parts move very little during tone changes. As a result, "bearing" surfaces wear very little.
Many people are downright intimidated by the pulling system on Kline's, and I must admit, they're not for the faint of heart. They are not for the player who wants to constantly experiment with a new change every weekend unless he/she is a glutton for punishment and has all week long to mess with it between gigs. But once a Kline is set up and the same strings are installed on it...especially wound strings...it just never will need to be adjusted.
Joe definitely did his part in carving out a huge niche in pedal steel guitar history. He bucked the tide at the time, as keyless was then in its infancy...many scoffed at keyless and figured Kline's would go nowhere. WRONG!!!
C'mon, Joe, just how many did you build???
PRR

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2009 4:22 pm    

Where is Jon Jaffe,,,??? he has 2 of'em

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2009 5:43 am    

Does anyone have a current contact # for Joe Kline??

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2009 5:58 am    

Don McClellen had two S12s. One was for sale recently. Where's Don?

ONly 80 pages to go to catch up to the ZB thread...... Laughing

One for sale right now at Scotty's:
http://www.scottysmusic.com/steellist02.htm

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2009 9:26 pm    

Who has my old D10? I don't know the serial number, but I sold it to Ernie Pollock at one time and he did some changes to it and resold it. It has African Teak mica finish.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 8:06 am    

Sorry Sonny about the delay in response. It was nice to see you in Dallas. I bought my first Kline in 1983 and another in 2006. They both have flawless action and Kline pickups that are wonderfully balanced. The both are set up with a standard Newman/Emmons U12. The Es flat RKR. Here is my first Kline.

Here is a link to a 1984 video with that guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ0Kl5t7_lg

This is the lacquer Kline:

Finally, this link will download a TrueType font of a Kline. It can be used as a letter head or on checks or business cards, and can be resized and maintain clean lines.

http://files.me.com/jaffe/o4isyf

Henry Nagle

Santa Rosa, California
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 12:26 pm    

Hey Jon! I hope you're enjoying that second Kline. Sometimes I really miss it. If you're ever trying to get rid of it......

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 1:01 pm    

Henry, Thanks it is a great guitar, especially after Joe was done with it. I use it for gigs in Austin. For the most part it is smoke free in the city. The mica one goes to the smokey ones. But both put that cornmeal on the dance floor that tends to kick up dust.

I do not think I will sell either soon. Over the years I have owned MSAs, Emmons, Zum, that for whatever reason, do not, IMHO, hold a candle to the Kline.

But here is a question for the group. The mica one, built in '83 did break one part, the pull rod loop at the changer end. I also have had to add some Lock Tight to the threads of some of the middle endplate stops. Also, a thread was loose from a leg, but golf club epoxy repaired that forever. Other than cleaning it, oiling with clipper oil, it has been maintenance free. What problems have others had? Share your solutions with the group.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 1:08 pm    

I have had no problems whatsoever. 3 to 6 nights a week for many years. The one time I had to make a pull adjustment, I found that the string manufacturer had put the wrong string gauge into my set. I recently had it completely gone over and cleaned, etc., at Hummingbird Music Studios. They moved the 3rd string finger over to another slot, as there was some slight wear. Dat's it!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 1:31 pm    

No problems here but I do wish the pickup height was adjustable. Also my pickup was rewound before I bought it. It sounds dark and muddy to me when playing live but great in the studio for recording direct into the console. I wish it had a little more crispness for my live sound. Not sure what the resistance is. Anyone know what stock Kline pickups measure in at?

Dave

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 1:40 pm    

Just measured mine at 17.22 K. It's anything but "dark and muddy!"

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 6:12 pm    

Dave, you have mentioned this before. Have you emailed Joe and just asked to buy a pickup. He must have some in his shop. I know he is "retired", but he must have some leftover. Or can Rick Troyer scrounge one up for you?

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 10:38 pm     Sonny's White Kline U-12

Say it ain't so, Sonny. Are you really going to formica cannibalize my old white Kline U-12. steve t

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2009 12:48 am    

Oh, no!!! Sonny, just wear sun-glasses!!! I have a BMI D-11 with a white deck. Playing outdoor jobs can be trying due to glare, but, Sonny.....!!!
PRR

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2009 5:06 am    

Dave my mica is 16.8k and the lacquer is 17.2k

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2009 5:31 am    

I may just have Jerry Wallace rewind it with a coil tap. I can have a lower output for live and keep the same resistance for direct recording. I spoke with Jerry after I got the guitar and he thinks that the pickup would be around 19.5K, but doesn't completely remember either. Sounds like I can resolve this with a rewind.
Dave