Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Austin Guitar Legend Paul Skelton
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2009 5:21 pm    

RIP my friend

Paul Skelton 1952- 2009
By Michael Corcoran | Sunday, February 22, 2009, 04:09 PM

Austin Telecaster twangmaster Paul Skelton passed away Sunday morning after a long battle with lung cancer, said Cornell Hurd, his bandleader and friend of 33 years. Skelton was 56.

“He was truly, truly an amazing man,” Hurd said of the stringsmith who was also a master guitar builder for Collings Guitar for years. Skelton first toured with Cornell Hurd and the Mondo Hot Pants Orchestra in 1977, on the heels of novelty hit “Bicentennial Boogie.”

Skelton moved to New York City in the 1980s and worked in quality control for ESP Guitars, said Hurd. The two reunited musicially in 1987, when Skelton joined the Cornell Hurd Band. He held that post for 22 years until he recently became too ill to perform.

Besides playing with Hurd, Skelton played on most of the Wayne “the Train” Hancock records and with Texana Dames and Libby Bosworth. He was also a regular at the annual birthday bash for Buck Owens at the Coninental Club.

“I’ve lost Danny Roy Young and Paul Skelton in the past few months,” said Hurd, also referring to his beloved rubboard player. “And I don’t think as long as I live I’ll meet another person like the two of them.”

Skelton is survived by wife Ann and 16-year-old son Jeff. There’s no word yet on funeral or memorial services.

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2009 7:09 pm    

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1320325&l=3917f&id=732983562

My playlist adds

"She's My Baby" Wayne Hancock
"Driving Nails In My Coffin" Cornell Hurd Band
"Two Drops of Water" Cornell Hurd Band

Bill McRoberts

Janesville, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2009 7:07 am    

He was a fantastic musician. I've enjoyed his guitar work through Wayne Hancock's recordings. Blessings to his family.
Bill

Last edited by Bill McRoberts on 23 Feb 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2009 7:12 am    

I got the incredibly sad, though not unexpected, news yesterday when Cornell called me while I was on my way to an afternoon gig. The news obliterated any fun my job was going to provide.

I've know Paul since 1992, and worked closely with him in Cornell's band from 1996 through 2003. An amazingly great guitarist and humorist who could play a breathtakingly poignant guitar solo one minute and a totally whacked out piece of musical insanity the next.

I'm certain that my friend and colleague Howard Kalish, who's also got a long history with the Cornell Hurd Band, will add his remembrances of this great person.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Dave Biller

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2009 9:57 am    

I sat next to Paul on pretty much every one of the afore mentioned Wayne Hancock recordings. Every solo you hear is absolutely spontaneous, improvised on the spot. He never had any idea what he was gonna play and you could never predict what was gonna come out when he played, but you always knew it was going to be inspired and great. I never remember him doing a second take or ever "fixing" anything he played. He played in the moment and always according to his mood. It was beautiful to witness his wacky genious in action. He was one of the most entertaining musicians I've ever known.
RIP Paul, we will miss you.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2009 2:34 pm    

I always made a point of going to see Paul (and Danny), with Cornell whenever I was in Austin, (while people I knew were elsewhere checking out the flavor of the month). Paul was the real deal.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 12:54 pm    

The name didn't register but Hancock's Tulsa is one of my favorite records of the last few years. The guitars don't take a backseat to Mr. Rivers' picking---it is such a showcase of tasteful and rootsy guitar picking. I'll have to put on my headphones and listen to Wayne call out the pickers by name to learn who is playing what.
This is just to say what a shame. My extreme respect to Mr. Paul Skelton.

Howard Kalish

Austin, Tx USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 1:45 pm    

It's hard to believe that those lovely and zany guitar solos are now only available on recordings. In a town noted for its guitar players, Paul Skelton occupied a unique place of respect from all who heard him. Warmth and twang, humor and beauty, a lovable personality and an amazingly quick wit. Like Herb said, it was expected, but man it hurts. He kept us all on our toes and set the standard for a Cornell Hurd Band sideman - tear it up when you can, but 'em cry when the moment is ripe.

For those of you who can attend, I've supplied the funeral info below. Thursday night at Jovita's, the Cornell Hurd Band will pay homage to this wonderful man. Come out and dance.

Graveside Service

200 p.m. Thursday, Feb 26th

Austin Memorial Park

2800 Hancock

http://www.austinexplorer.com/Cemeteries/CemeteryDetails.aspx?CemeteryID=42

Directions:

N on Mopac

East on 45th St

L (N) on Bull Creek

L at the “T” (Hancock)

Cemetery is on Right

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2009 5:08 am    

I really loved Paul's playing. Some of the things he played with Cornell and Wayne actually made me laugh! His stuff was sooooooo creative, wacky, and way out of left field at times. RIP Mr. Skelton. You will be missed.

Robbie Bossert Crying or Very sad

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2009 3:55 pm    

A huge loss. He amazed me every night.

RIP, Show Business Veteran Paul Skelton.

Loren Bayles

Iowa, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2009 9:01 pm     Paul Skelton

I am not familiar with Mr. Skelton or his talent but would like to offer my condolences to his family and all who knew, loved, and respected him of which, according to the thoughts expressed in this post there certainly are many.
I would like to know where I can find a recording/s in order to enjoy the expression of his talents.

May God be with his family at this time and in the future.

LB