Reply to topic
Author Topic:  new bigsby book
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 1:48 am    

I received mine today and it is worth every penney. cc

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 9:16 am     Tell us MORE!

Well now..............
How many pages in this $50.00 book?

How many pictures, would you say?

Any colour photo's?

Any really exceptional photo's, not seen before?

Brings us all up to speed.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 9:48 am    

I'm seeing it for $31.50, Ray.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615243045

Product Description
Most musicians are familiar with the famous Bigsby Vibrato, but not as many know about the wonderful guitars that Paul Bigsby built in the 1940s. Bigsby, who was responsible for developing and refining the pedal steel guitar, also built the first modern solid body electric guitar for Merle Travis in 1948, predating Leo Fender and Gibson's Les Paul by a number of years. The Story of Paul A. Bigsby tells how Bigsby influenced Fender and Gibson, as well as a number of other guitar manufacturers, in building techniques and design. This deluxe illustrated coffee table book contains over 300 color and black and white photos. Many of these have not previously been published, and over 50 are actual Bigsby instrument photos taken by fine arts photographer Greg Morgan. The book also comes with an audio CD of Paul Bigsby, recorded in the late 1950s, telling stories of his business.

The one Review says: "All color, with fold-out 3-page spreads of the most rare and amazing guitars from the 40's and 50's."

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 11:56 am     Great Book Review!

Thanks Pete........great book review/promo!

Much appreciated.

Anyone heard anything about "THAT OTHER BOOK"?
It was supposed to be out several years ago.

Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 1:01 pm    

I looked this book over in NAMM this year and it is terrific. Should not disappoint anyone. ...jeff

Dale Granstrom

Wilsonville, Or USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 2:35 pm    

I was contacted by Ron Middlebrook who said he was going to write a book about Paul Bigsby and wanted some pictures and story from me. How many books are going to be written about Paul?

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 3:14 pm     About Ron's book.....................

I was contacted several years ago about his book. I provided 'personal correspondence' with Paul A., original string wrappers with the Bigsby logo, photo's of my g'tar, etc., and was assured it would be a featured item within the book.
Since then, I've heard nothing more about the book except that it's 'a work in progress.'
Looks like this new guy was on the ball and got his to the printer first.
I'm anxious to see it.

By the way Dale, can you tell 'us' more about your Bigsby? When, what, where? The whole enchalata(sp?). Your name came up last week, somewhere, in general conversation about 'some guy named Dale' that had a Bigsby and lived in Tualatin. I had no idea 'twas YOU!

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 6:03 pm    

I'm waiting for this book to arrive....in the meanwhile, I saw it at Colony Music and all I can say is WOW!!!!!.....there was a trail of drool as I left the store......

Dale Granstrom

Wilsonville, Or USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2009 7:51 pm    

Hi Ray,

There is a story in the March issue of Vintage Guitar magazine along with pictures. A good and complete article written by Deke Dickerson. Deke is a heck of a nice guy and also a friend of Russ Blake, a local boy. This story explains a lot about my experience Paul Bigsby, who evidently considered me a friend.

See ya' at the jam on March 29th.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 7:34 am    

It's a great book - tons of fabulous photos of instruments and players, plus a lot of anecdotes and background info.

BIG STEEL

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 9:54 am     So, Dale...

...if you had first hand experience with PA, please use this opportunity to tell us some of the unique moments that must have occurred with the two of you.

Bigsby is one of the most sorely under-appreciated and written about movers of guitar/steel history.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 11:37 am     Grady Martin's double neck BIGSBY standard guitar

Just got off of YouTube where I enjoyed seeing clips once again, of Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant, but also
Grady Martin playing his double neck Bigsby guitar/mandolin on the old Ozark Jubilee with Red Foley.

Freight Train Boogies..........is the clip where it can be found.

Dale Granstrom

Wilsonville, Or USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 2:02 pm    

Hi Ron,
I bought my Bigsby T8 in 1949 and ordered it by mail from him. I received the guitar within one month. I kept in touch with Paul by ordering strings by phone from him. I'd call him and say I needed strings
which he sent to me by return mail. I'd send him a money order right away. He was very trusting.

I visited Paul in March of 1951 and so got acqianted with him. He was just moving from his double garage work shop to a new shop in back of his home. When my brother and I decided to build the standard guitars we asked for his advice, which he gladly gave. I think the rest of the story is in the March issue Vintage Guitar magazine, written very complete and accurate by Deke Dickerson, along with pictures. I understand that most of this article and pictures is also in the new Bigsby Story book.

If there is anything specific you'd like to know I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Dale Granstrom

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 4:45 pm     Thanx, Dale!

Very interesting. Those were the day's when your word meant something!
And anything you wish to tell will be devoured, with relish.

I lived near his home, but was too young to know, he died when I was 10, so no real chance of meeting one of my music hero's in later life.

Was he loud (like a... PA) and cocky/brash as many state?
Seems he'd have to be somewhat sensitive to deal with musicians and run a succesful company. But then again, he was a hell raiser on those Crocker bikes.
Did he continue running the bikes as he got busier with the guitars?

Some of his shop gear, like the PU winder, have gone on Ebay and not brought in what I thot them to be worth. To me, that stuff is priceless and worthy of a museum.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2009 11:42 pm    

Dale, I'm a good friend of Deke's and have pictures of the guitars you built on my computer. If you give a permission I will post them here so that others here can see the fine job you did with them. I don't have my copy of the book yet so I don't know if they are in it or not.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2009 9:30 pm    

I purchased the book and received it today. I have enjoyed it but dissapointed in a few aspects. It definitely a good quality book , with nice photos, and worth the $$.
Bottom line it is nice to see some credit to PA .. which is long over due.
The whole book is well documented and great pictures threw out of all the great players and instruments of the 50's ( could have used some nods toward Vance Terry tho).
The last few pages are of all these rock star type posers who rave about the vibrato. Most of them are posing in there rock star fashion and wearing make up and ugly crap, it kinda made me sick to end the book this way. Especially next to these great, clean, beautiful people of the 50's. I'll probably cut this section out and I will enjoy the book much more. Very Happy
Todd

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2009 11:42 pm    

Interesting thing about PA was that he stayed in the musicians union as a bass player for hire. Deke Dickerson went and dug out his 1962 Local 47 Musicians Union Directory and there he was listed. Cool

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 6:16 am    

I have not listened to the disk with the book. But I was given the original recordings of Bigsby talking about the buisness. Also a lot of it was a "spoken letter" to Jack Parsons. So I imagine a lot of this is not included with the book. But in the recording he mentions a composition he wrote, and sounds like he mailed Jack a copy on reel to reel. It would be great to hear what that was .
Todd

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 7:38 am    

That's interesting! I guess PA played bass in Parsons' band occasionally. I've heard of a photo ( but never seen it myself ) of Parsons' band w/ PA on bass. That photo by any chance happen to be in the book?

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 8:04 am    

I've seen that photo. I believe with Bob Meadows on steel. Paul Warnik gave me a copy, but I can't find it. I'll have to double check the book to see if it's in there.
Todd

Dale Granstrom

Wilsonville, Or USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 11:54 am    

Jussi, you have my permission to print any or all the pictures that are in the book.

Dale G.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 12:39 pm    

I totally agree with Todd, a great book but a little heavy on the standard guitars, their history and the vibratos that Grestch is selling today, (hence the book).
The person commitioned to write this book by Fred Grestch is a Rock Guitar player that obviously didn't care as much about steel guitar as he did lead guitar. He does however respect Paul's history and accomplishments. Thank goodness.
Many of these Bigsby guitars in the book I still own today and must say that the photographer the writer brought to take these pictures was a first class representation of his craft. Great pictures!!!!

Again I must say, the guitars Todd Clinesmith is building today are every bit what Paul Adelbert Bigsby could be expected to have built himself.
Many of the original Bigsby built parts are still being used in Todd's new "Clinesmith" guitars. I will be very proud to have one in my meager playing collection soon.

Todd is a deserving craftsman and is well deserving of being the one person to continue the "Bigsby" legend.

Bobbe Seymour

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 12:41 pm    

Todd is a deserving craftsman and is well deserving of being the one person to continue the "Bigsby" legend.

This needed to be said twice! Very Happy

Bobbe Seymour

Lee Jeffriess

Vallejo California
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 7:33 pm    

Here it is Jussi.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2009 10:16 am    

Thanks Lee, I have the other picture, almost identical photo, same guys, same guitars, different photo but no PA.