The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Instructions for StringTone Changer
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 2:04 pm    

Would someone be able to please email me the Tuning Instructions for a C#/E/A StringTone Changer?

I have the instructions for Model #3 (going from C6/E7/C7).

I need the Tuning Instructions for Model that goes C#/E/A.

Thanks for your help

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 5:14 pm     Lever operated tuning changer

I have a similar unit. On mine you tune to A maj. hi bass , then tune the 1st lever changing to C# min.(E 6th) using the small tuning screws on top of the unit , then move the lever to tune to E maj. using the tuning screws. When you turn the lever the cam shaft will raise or lower the string pullers and you can pretty much see which tuner screw to adjust . Works out real well for me !! Gives me three tunings on the one neck . Good luck and hope this helps you !! Eddie "C"

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 10:26 am     Notes for Each of the 3 Tunings

Eddie -

Thanks for the info.

Can you please send me the specific notes of each of the 3 tunings ?

Then I'll be on my way !

Thanks

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 12:22 pm    

Hi Ron,

Here is a blurry image of the tuning directions for model #1 that you have. I found this on line, and I tried to clear it up as much as possible in Photoshop.

Below is some info from someone who used to install Stringtones on lap steels in the 1950s. It looks to be a summary of the directions on the sheet.

Tab:

How to tune the Stringtone Changer: low bass version, A, E, C#m

* with the lever in the forward position tune it to an A major chord with the keys.

* Raise the lever to the upright position and use the screws to tune the 2nd and 3rd strings.
Use the key to tune the 5th string.

* Go back to the A tuning and use the screw to tune the 5th string. When A & E are in tune, the C#mi will be in tune.

Unfortunately it does not show the layout of the tuning... what string is tuned to what note. It's an interesting puzzle! The directions indicate that A (low bass) is the starting point. As far as I know, the original A (low bass) tuning looks like this:

A (low bass)

1. E
2. C#
3. A
4. E
5. A
6. E

Here are the notes needed for each of the tunings:

A chord = A, C#, E
E chord = E, G#, B
C#m chord = C#, E, G#

I hope this helps, best of luck with it! DB

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 1:13 pm     Notes for each string in the 3 tunings

Doug B -

Would you be able to also provide the notes / string for each of the other two tunings ?

Thanks for the add'l help -

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 2:46 pm    

Ron, I think I've cracked the code. Smile Winking

The Stringtone directions do not show how the three tunings are set up... but according to reference books the tunings would be as follows:

A (low bass)

1. E
2. C#
3. A
4. E
5. A
6. E

E (low bass)

1. E
2. B
3. G#
4. E
5. B
6. E

C#m7

1. E
2. C#
3. G#
4. E
5. B
6. E

The lever may say C#m on it, but according to the pitch changes that the Stringtone is making it would be C#m7. To make C#m, string 5 would have to be raised from B to C#, and the changer doesn't do that.
---------------------------------------------

Here's how the Stringtone should work according to all of the info:

* Put the lever in the "A" position, and tune to A low bass (except for string 5) using the tuning keys.

* Then put the lever in the "E" position and adjust the <b>screws for strings 2 & 3</b> (tune string 2 to B, and tune string 3 to G#) for E low bass. Tune string 5 to B using <b>the regular tuning key</b>.

* Put the lever back in the "A" position and turn <b>the screw for string 5</b> to tune it to A.

* After the above steps are completed, the C#m setting should be in tune when the lever is moved to C#m.
------------------------------------------------

It's odd that the directions do not list the notes for each tuning. I guess back in the 50's these tunings were standard, so if you said "E low bass" the other players knew what you were talking about!

PS make sure that string 5 is the proper gauge for B, not A, since the changer pulls that string to B. That's the only raise (from the A tuning) The other two changes are lowers from the A tuning.

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 3:11 pm     Lever changer

Dougs info seems to be 100 % correct using the A maj. low bass tuning !! The A maj. low bass tuning was pretty standard back in the 30s and 40s . The one I have I cut up, moved the tuner screws around and filed other slots in the cam shaft so I can use an A6th tuning along with C# min.(E 6th) and E 9th tunings. Took me quite a while to get the cams and levers correct but it works fine now !! My tunings are ; A6th from hi string = E , C# , A , F# , E , & C# :: then C# min.(E6th) = E , C# , G# , F# , E & D :: then E9th = E , B , G# , F# , E & D . Good luck !! Eddie "C"

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 4:39 pm    

Eddie, how accurate is the changer? When you flip the lever do the strings need to be fine tuned with the tuning keys or is it ususally in perfect tune?

A (low bass) looks like a very simple tuning. (3) root, (2) 5th, and (1) 3rd. I guess it's one one of the original Hawaiian tunings from way back.

What does the term LOW BASS mean? It's confusing because it doesn't necessarily mean that the root note of the tuning is the lowest string.

A (low bass): E on string 6

A (high bass): A on string 6

The E tuning names make more sense:

E (low bass): E on string 6

E (high bass): G# on string 6

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 7:06 pm     Low Bass = Old Hawaiian tuning !!

Hi Doug , The old 1920s , 1930s & 40s basic Hawaiian tuning was the "A low bass" , they would play bass rhythm runs on the bottom two strings and play melody on the top four strings so they played most all the songs in the key of A !! In the 40s there were several players I listened to locally and also Guy Principato in Boston that played that old tuning and they were limited to what keys they could play !! And yes, my lever changers are pretty accurate !! I don't find any real problems in changing keys with the levers , they stay pretty well in tune , no worse than "cabinet drop" with pedals !! I personally feel more comfortable playing with these tunings than with pedals !! I'm from the "old school" and learned to play basic tunings before pedals came in !! Eddie "C"

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 8:45 pm    

Quote:
...basic Hawaiian tuning was the "A low bass" , they would play bass rhythm runs on the bottom two strings and play melody on the top four strings

Oh, now I get it! Thanks Eddie, that makes perfect sense. They could play root, 5th bass patterns on strings 5 & 6 while playing the melody on top, hence the term "low bass" tuning. How come I never knew that?! Surprised

I remember hearing about Guy Principato from Boston back in the '70s and early '80s, but I never met him. I guess he was a well known steel teacher, and I heard he had an endorsement deal with Fender, or one of the major guitar manufacturers back in the day.

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 7:56 am     Guy Prin. in 40s

Hi Doug , I first met Guy Principato in 1946 at the old W.M.E.X. Boston Barn Dance radio show. He played a Vega 6 string steel , Vegas were made in Boston , and saw him again at the W.C.O.P. Hayloft Jamboree radio show in 1953. As I recall he was still playing the same 6 string Vega. He played the real old "Hawaiian " style !! He was a friendly outgoing man !! But I never had much chance to talk steel with him. Eddie "C"

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 10:29 pm    

I did some research on these units and posted it a few years ago. Here is a link but you might not need it since i just bumped it: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9543&highlight=

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2009 8:17 am    

I have heard several say there were problems with these tuning changers staying in tune as you change tunings.

I have built my own tuning changer that does stay in tune very well. I believe the secret to one staying in tune is,--- on mine I made a gauged roller nut. Idea Without it the strings can have a tendancy to hang up on the standard bone nut and not come back to the original pitch.
Isn't that the purpose of using roller nuts on pedal steel guitars?