The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Now, RIP Tom Brumley
Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2009 3:20 am    

While on vacation at the Canary Islands I got the message of my friend Tom Brumley passing.
My heart is heavy and my thoughts are with Rolene and family.

Tove and Dag.

Roger Trahan

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2009 10:25 am     God Bless Tom Brumley

Few people have the ability to touch others in the special way that Tom did. Wether throught being the gentleman he was or the music he played so many have felt the love, dedication and soul this great man had. He turned my head the minute I heard his unique steel playing and kept it turned because no one else ever was able to nail down the beautiful licks the was Tom did. He's a positive influence on my playing and phrasing in music today. May the Good Lord be with all of the Brumley family during this sad time. God Bless Roger A. Trahan

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2009 10:39 am    

I'm just now catching up with things on the forum and am saddened to learn this. When I first opened the thread I was moved to queue up Tom's dad's gospel with Merle Haggard called "Two Old Friends".

I'm glad I got to meet and hear him several times at Scotty's. You just never know how long you have here on earth. Suffice it to say, we'll all be able to hear Tom's beautiful steel guitar until the day we die.

May God bless Tom and his family.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2009 4:54 am     Re: Tom

My apologies for the double posting.

Dale Bessant

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2009 1:22 pm    

Rest In Peace....another great player is gone....

Stan Knowles NC

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2009 5:09 pm    

Thank God Tom knew Jesus, the Lord of Life....
as his own personal Savior! And right now...
Tom is with Jesus!

Rolene, I am praying for you, your sons and your
family!

Stan...

Kenny Martin

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2009 10:10 am    

Sad news for all but what an awesome band he will join! Lost Daddy 8 months ago and i know he will have a big hug waiting for Tom!

Our time is not his time that knows every hair on our heads!!

Frank Harris

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2009 5:00 pm     tom b

A very sad day for me I pray for him often.

Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 6:05 am     So sad to hear that!

May he rest in peace. I learned from Bobbe's newsletter that he was seriously Ill.

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

Bud Hall

Evansville IN USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 9:21 am    

Zane and Tom were my steel guitar heros, I have lost both my heros now, but I will always have the wonderful memories of so many GREAT times. Playing twin steels with Tom at Bradley's Barn was the highlight of my modest steel guitar career. We wish Rolene and family the very best.

With Love,

Bud and Mary Hall

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 9:48 am    

Not only was Tom one of the great players, but even more so, he was one of the friendliest and kindest people I ever knew.

Rolene,I find you and your the rest of your family the same way. I consider it an honor to have known all of you. God Bless and strengthen you through your great loss.

Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 5:45 pm    

Tom was one of my top favorite steelers, and it was sad to hear of his passing, but I'm glad to hear that he has gone to a better home. My prayers for his wife and family. Rest in peace, Tom, and thanks for the wonderful music.

Fred Burkett

Kingman, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 9:09 pm    

I knew Tom a little, got to meet him a couple of times because of my good friend Waylon Brumley, Tom's cousin, and great steel player in his own right. I don't know whatever happened to him, last time I heard he was in Bakersfield playing gospel. That was 1976. If anyone knows, please let me know.

My heart goes out to the Brumley family, and all the players (or not) that loved Tom's music. There's not much else I can say that hasn't already been said, except maybe: Thank you Tom, for the time we did have with you, and for sharing your music and talent with the rest of the world.

God Bless,
Rick and Polly

Bud Isaacs

Yuma, AZ. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:43 pm    

We are so sorry to hear about Tom. He sure did a great job when he recorded "Bud's Bounce". Years ago Tom and Red Rhodes, hitch hiked to Nashville to see my Bigsby. I was playing at "WSM" Studio "C" with George Morgan, and they ask if they could look at my Steel, and I told them they could play it if they wanted to, and I left it there with them and went on home. Tom and his family are in our prayers. Bud and Geri

Robin Archer

Califon, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 8:54 pm     Great Loss

Just heard this evening from John Ciano at the Heartland Hayride radio show. I was sitting in a diner in Oceanside, Ca about 1961 (?) when I first heard Tom's amazing sounds on Together Again. Brought tears to my eyes as it does now.
Truely a great loss to the music world.
Maybe someday I'll be able to duplicate some of his stuff.
Robin Archer

Bob Ritter

pacfic, wa
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 12:10 am    

God love you and your family Tom. I never met you but I loved your playing. You made it sound so cool on those songs and you made it look so fun and enjoyable when you played.

Gary C. Dygert

Frankfort, NY, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2009 11:47 am    

Because of illness and death in my family, I learned late of Tom's passing. My e-mail to Brumshow contained this: "Oddly enough, I recently dreamed that I was sitting at a pedal steel (I play nonpedal), and Tom Brumley, bare head and all, sat down beside me and started playing. If only!"

I said how much we would all miss Tom, and Rolene sent me a reply thanking ME for taking time to write to her! What a class act!