The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Now, RIP Tom Brumley
Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 6:59 pm    

It's very sad to know that the man who built the ZB that is sitting in my living room is no longer with us. Mr. Brumley built some wonderful ZBs and played them even better. He was the man whose playing inspired me to play the steel in the first place. Some who have heard me play may think that me playing in the first place was not such a good idea, but that is for another discussion. I believe that I thanked Tom for building my steel and I'd like to say thanks again for everything. I think I'll go out out to the living room and play "Together Again" before I go to sleep. Goodnight Tom.
My prayers go out to his family and his many, many friends.
Duncan

Steve Palousek

Holland. Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:37 pm     Another Great One Gone Home

I just got done explaining to my 13 year old how the "Lord prepares a place for us and then calls us home". Can you imagine the music in heaven tonight?!?!? God must be pleased with the talent he has assembled in the past few years.... and I look forward to my turn for the call. I first met Tom in Branson when I was touring with Gene Watson, and to a "youngster" like me, this "old pro" spent alot of time visiting and talking to me like I was kinfolk. I'll never forget those times and also getting to meet his son, Todd, a monster bass player. Just a few weeks ago, as sort of a joke, I had my friend, John Stacey, ( who is part of the show that the Brumleys have been preparing in San Antonio), here doing some session work at the studio and told him that I needed a chart for "Together Again" . Todd made sure that John brought me one when he came to do the next session :>).
My heart goes out to Rolene, Todd and the family. He'll never be forgetten and his legacy will live on ...
Steve Palousek

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 9:18 pm    

The heavy hand of time is thinning the ranks of the greats who made this quirky, complex and intimidating instrument into the thing of beauty it has become, the instrument which has captured us with its haunting delivery, clarity and unmistakable richness of tone.

In the hereafter there is one almighty steel guitar convention taking place, and in our own time we shall become attendees and participants. There is nothing to fear...we shall be among friends, and the reunions will be many and joyous.

RIP Tom Brumley...and thanks for the magic!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Dino Strunk

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 9:32 pm    

Hi everyone,
If you would please allow me, I would like to take a moment to first introduce myself to the Steel Guitar forum. My name is Dino Strunk and I'm a lead guitarist here in Branson, Mo. It's a pleasure to get to see and visit with several of my steel playing friends(and other musicians as well)here at the forum and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone else here as well. I have been a reader of this forum for quite some time now and have been meaning to join for a good while. I just hadn't done it yet....until now. Please forgive me in advance for the length of this post.

I can recall growing up in the 70's and listening to all the great country artists from the 40's, 50's, 60's and on forward. I spent my childhood trying to digest EVERYTHING musically that I could from those old albums. My favorites of the day were Hank Williams Sr and the Drifting Cowboys, Carl Smith, The Wilburn Brothers, George Jones, Merle Haggard, and Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. I wasn't even old enough at the time to have told you what the players names were on those sessions, but I can say that I was mesmerized by what they were playing. I remember trying to learn to play a lot of the parts while learning guitar...even though many of the parts were on other instruments....for example, the steel guitar. I even dabbled with steel guitar for a few years as a young teen, but lead guitar was just more my "thing". Even so, I still to this day have a great love and respect for the steel guitar.

Which brings me to Mr Tom Brumley. When I was trying to learn Steel Guitar, I remember trying to learn the rides and licks on "Together Again" and "Crying Time" and everything else Tom played on those great Buck Owens songs. They were then, and still are, part of the very elite group of "The licks" that EVERY steel guitarist strives to learn how to play.

As the years went by and life dealt it's twists and turns, I ended up working here in Branson. One of the greatest highlights in my life(both musically as well as personally)was to wind up playing lead guitar for Tom on his show for 2 1/2 years here in Branson in the late 90's. Words can't express the honor it was for me!! I remember so well whenever we did "Tom's Medley"(a collaboration of songs by Buck, Ricky Nelson, and Dwight Yokam)which showcased Tom's legendary rides...and hearing him play them so "ON" everyday..it would literally bring me to chills. All I could do for the longest time was just shake my head and smile each day...knowing that I had been blessed to be there. Not to mention the great gentleman he was and his crazy sense of humor. Tom, along with his whole family, treated me as one of their own. He was such a pleasure to work for and I am honored to have called him a friend.

Tom...I, along with so many others(including everyone here at the forum)have been in shock since last week when this all happened..and have been faithfully watching, hoping,and praying that things would turn out for the best. Sadly, God had bigger and better plans for you. But I feel some comfort in knowing that you're up there looking down here at us...and even though in life you may not have known the impact that you had on SOOOO many people,I feel confident that you're learning that now from the outpouring of response from all of the many friends and fans that loved you. And let me close by saying..Tom..you deserve EVERY BIT of it!!

God bless you and your family Tom...for you will truly be missed.
Sincerely,
Dino*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 10:24 am    

Quote:
Even when we know its coming, it still is a shock and a terrible loss for everyone . . .

How true, indeed, leaving us with what we must do: make sure he lives on within us all.

Every good wish for Tom's family in these sad days.

Spencer Scott

England (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 10:55 am     Tom Brumley

A sad loss to the steel guitar world,thank you for sharing your music with us all and for being the man that you were.RIP Tom...Spencer ..

Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 11:48 am    

So sad.
Tommy White mentioned his solo on "I sang Dixie". My fondest memory of Tom was when I wisited Rolene and Tom in Branson for a few days in 2000. In his basment rehersal room Tom showed me how he played that solo. What a great player and a super fine man.

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 12:07 pm    

I just heard this dreadfully sad news today. I can't add anything more to that which has already been stated so well. However, I'd like to pass our sincere condolences to Rolene and the boys.

Barbara and Gerry

Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 12:16 pm     Rest In Peace

May Tom rest in peace with the good lord. Though I have only been playing for a year, he has been my inspiration since day one.

It's comforting to know that his playing will continue on through others.

Eddie D.Bollinger

Calhoun City, Mississippi
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 12:47 pm     The band in Heaven........

I know Tom and Don Rich are together now. The band in Heaven must be incredible. Tom and Don helped to make some of the best music that will ever be heard
by anybody. I cherish getting to meet Tom Brumley and his family. Our prayers can't stop now.

Eddie

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 1:30 pm    

I had the honor of meeting Tom back in the late 70's at the Palamino in North Hollywood Ca. when he was with Ricky Nelson. He was so nice to me and spent most of the afternoon showing me several things that I ask him about from several recordings he had done.
He had me put me guitar right up next to his so he could slowly show me how he had done the parts I'd ask about. I have a cassette tape of that little on stage lesson that is one of my prize possessions and I'll always be in his debt for the gift he gave me that day.
R.I.P. Tom, R.I.P.
Jim Eaton

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 6:19 pm    

I can say nothing that has not been said. Tom was a great friend and very much an innovator and a true stylist of the steel guitar. His wonderful style and super smile will be greatly missed. Thanks for the memories

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 6:29 pm    

Ned McIntosh wrote:
The heavy hand of time is thinning the ranks of the greats who made this quirky, complex and intimidating instrument into the thing of beauty it has become, the instrument which has captured us with its haunting delivery, clarity and unmistakable richness of tone.

In the hereafter there is one almighty steel guitar convention taking place, and in our own time we shall become attendees and participants. There is nothing to fear...we shall be among friends, and the reunions will be many and joyous.

RIP Tom Brumley...and thanks for the magic!

It appears like the changing of the guard, the passing of the torch.For someone else. God bless you Mrumley, we love you and miss you. May God reach out and comfort Ms. Rolene at this time.I do not not know them personally, However God does. And after reading all of the kind words that were said by the good people on the Forum, there is no doubt in my mind that Tom is with Buck,and DOn Rich and the rest of the Buckeroos. Like old times.
Tommy Shown

Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 7:06 pm    

I met Tom several different times. He was always a pleasure to visit with. Rolene and family are in my prayers. Rest In Peace Tom.

Dale Dorsey

Granger, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 7:13 pm    

Wonderful posts for a very wonderful man. I've known him for over 30 yrs..since my playing steel for his brother Al in Branson and even living with the family for awhile in Powell...long before Branson was anything. I can tell you that Tom & Al have been my best two friends in my entire life, but I am certainly not alone in that category. Tom made everyone feel that way from day one. Yes, a tremendous steel player that did more for us than many can imagine. He greatly helped all of us steel players keep working those clubs and gigs with hits like Together Again, I Sang Dixie and others. He helped put plenty of food on my table and I'm forever grateful to call him my friend. He was my hero in the early 60's when I was about 10 yrs old. I don't think it's very often that you get to grow up and really know your hero's in life. Everyone else was listening to the Beatles in 64....but I listened to Buck Owens. Thank goodness! When I first met Al and auditioned....I was one nervous kid when I found out he was Tom's brother. Tom always laughed at this....my foot was shaking so bad on the volume pedal....Al asked me if I was using a wah-wah pedal! I guarantee you he is chuckling now about it. This hurts badly for so many of us that we're close to Tom. None of us ever thought this would happen anytime soon and it was completely unexpected. I guess the lord has some better plans for him. Tom will sit at his right hand....that is how good of a man Tom is. God bless you Tom. We all miss you.

Tay Joslin

Clarksvillle, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 7:26 pm    

Dale said:
Quote:
I don't think it's very often that you get to grow up and really know your hero's in life.

AMEN!

I keep comforting myself by thinking
of that very fact! I loved Mr. Tom
even more after I became acquainted
with him and his family! My hero
changed my life, and I love him for
it!

Gratefully,
Tay Joslin

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 8:55 pm     Tom

Tom's unique tone and playing style put him at the top of the lists for a lot of steel players, including me. Never met him, but wish I could have.
May he rest in peace, and my God confort his familly.

Terry

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 9:12 pm    

Tom sounded like Tom.
He set a standard for a regional style.
He was quite recognizable and always FIT the music.
He played for a long time behind a seminal songwriter/performer,
in one of the most recognizable bands
consiting of great players well integrated.
His work will be remembered.
He was likable.

This is a great legacy.
RIP Tom.

My condolences to his family and friends

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Robbie Crabtree

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 9:16 pm    

I also think that Together Again was one of the first songs I learned on the Steel guitar. I met Tom at the Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis in the early 80's. He took a picture with me . I will always treasure that memory. God Bless Him and All of his Family. Rest In Peace.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 9:16 pm    

I am very sorry to hear about Tom. I had hope he would make it.
I went to see Buck Owens in Santa Rosa, Calif. in 1968 just to see Tom Brumley. He wasnt there as he had just left, and J.D. Maness was playing steel. So I missed him. But in the later years I finally met him at the Grand Rapids Show.I was glad that I did meet this very pleasant man and great steel Player. His playing with Buck and Ricky Nelson was just super original and great.RIP..al

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 9:07 am    

Condolences to the Brumley family. I met Tom in Branson July 2007. He treated me like an old friend. Truly a fine gentleman and a great steel picker.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 5:26 pm    

Tom sounded like Tom.

He set a standard for a regional style.
He was quite recognizable and always FIT the music.
He played for a long time behind a seminal songwriter/performer,
in one of the most recognizable bands
consisting of great players, well integrated.
His work will be remembered.
He was likable.

This is a great legacy.
RIP Tom Brumley.

My condolences to his family and friends

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 6:50 pm     Tom

I am deeply saddened to hear of Tom Brumleys passing. Truly one of the steel guitar greats. I remember a story my brother told me about Tom. He had went to Branson on vacation and went and heard a group that Tom Brumley was playing for. After the show my brother went up to Tom and said he was learning to play the steel guitar. Toms response was "So am I". We always laughed at Toms response since he was such a great player but he was so modest as well. Tom will be greatly missed.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 6:52 pm     Tom

I am deeply saddened to hear of Tom Brumleys passing. Truly one of the steel guitar greats. I remember a story my brother told me about Tom. He had went to Branson on vacation and went and heard a group that Tom Brumley was playing for. After the show my brother went up to Tom and said he was learning to play the steel guitar. Toms response was "So am I". We always laughed at Toms response since he was such a great player but he was so modest as well. Tom will be greatly missed.

Duane Brown

Reno,Nevada USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 7:38 pm     Tom Brumley

I was shocked to hear of Tom's illness and now this. I never got to meet him but loved his work with Buck Owens. I learned guitar by playing Buckaroo,Together Again and My Heart Skips a Beat over and over with the records.I bought every one of the Buckaroos records and wore them out as well as Buck's albums. The most exciting band I ever heard was the Buckaroos with Buck,Don,Tom Willie and Doyle.Tom's playing always mesmerized me and years later when I took up steel, I learned how good his playing really was.When Tom left, the Buckaroos were never as good. My prayers are that God carries the Brumley family in the palm of His hand through this sad time and heals this wound in time.We were all blessed to be touched by his music for so many years.
Duane Brown