The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Post your Happy Stories of Good Times with Tom Brumley Here
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2009 4:20 pm    

In my former life, pre-steel player, I was a Audio Engineer,

We had the honor of doing sound a few shows for Ricky Nelson's Stone Canyon Band with Tom on Steel of course Cool.

Tom's playing and little hands on lessons after sound checks were among the blessings that led this now player to the pedal steel. Very Happy

Please Share Your Story of a Good Memory on this thread.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2009 5:24 pm    

My wife Sandy amd I met Tom and Rolene at the ISGA about three years ago. We hung out and talked for a while did the usual picture taking etc. We found them both to be down home really nice people. I mentioned to Tom that we met Doyle Holly a while back and how surprised Doyle was that we had some recordings by him. Tom agreed that Doyle was just that humble. Tom and Rolene could not have been nicer to us. If the Lord chooses to take Tom I am sure he will rest eternally in Glory.

Joe Allwood

Russell, IA 50238
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2009 5:29 pm    

Tom's equally as humble. In 2003 I went to the Convention at St. Louis and met Tom and told him about my (then) seven year old son who thought Buck Owens and the Buckaroos were the hottest thing ever. Tom smiled that smile and said "Well, you tell him I said Hi!" Neither my son nor I will forget that moment.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2009 9:26 pm    

Back in the seventies I was fortunate to be able to play a session with Tom with his brother Al Jr. who was doing an album of Al Brumley Sr. gospel songs. Tom came in to overdub the steel part and we noticed he was a little nervous sitting in the studio by himself, and he just couldn't seem to get the right feel for one song. I went in and picked up an acoustic guitar and said, "Well, since you're doing this I'm going to recut my rhythm guitar part if you don't mind". He just grinned and said, "Go for it". They rolled the tape and Tom nailed it. No problems whatsoever. Since he was watching his hands he didn't notice that there was no mic in front of my guitar. I pretended like I was playing, and everything went fine. I told him about that later, and for years we laughed about it. I think he was used to other musicians being in the studio with him and he felt uncomfortable being by himself. Kinda like he'd been put on the spot or something. He was such a joy to know and work with, and I'll miss my friend very much. God's speed Mr. Brumley. Liven up that Heavenly band.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2009 10:52 pm    

Billy Knowles and I had our picture took with Tom in '63 at a Buck show. In '93 we went down to Myrtle Beach to see him with Desert Rose and lined up the same way for another picture. Tom autographed it, "Time Flies". We spent the afternoon
with him in the Holiday Inn coffee shop listening to Buckeroo stories. What a treasure of a memory!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2009 11:19 pm    

Tom shared a story with me about how when he was with Buck they were traveling back East and were doing a show with a number of big named stars all of whom had real nice touring coaches with their names on them and Buck's band was basically a car pulling a trailer. So Tom, in his inimitable wisdom got out a spray can and painted "Buck Owens" on the side of the trailer. Buck came out and asked what Tom was doing and he explained that he was just advertising the band like the rest of the groups were. Buck, never wanting to be outdone, told Tom to go out and get a new coach (which was Tom's intention all along). Smile He was my friend and I will miss him.

Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 4 Feb 2009 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 2:12 am    

I met Tom at St Louis a few years back, it is the only time I met him. Tom is one of those people that repeats your name when introduced, or at least he did when we spoke. After speaking with Tom for maybe 5 minutes or so, you know, talking Buck and all that, we went off on our own way. About an hour later I was standing in the big open area by the Carter booth and I hear someone say " hey Tony , who are you wanting to see play later " ?, I turned around it was Tom ! I looked at him and said " Well they won't let me play so I hope they let you play again so I can see you " ! He laughed , shook my hand again and that was the last I spoke with him.

t

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 2:56 am    

I join the ranks of those who say "Tom is the reason I play steel guitar". I have many hero's of the steel but he is the first one that I heard live in 1966 that changed the direction of my musical interest. I was in a rock band that played all over the Bay Area and I had heard every band of that era at the Old Filmore. My father drug me and a friend to the Dream Bowl in Vallejo, Calif amongst hundreds of drunk adults. I was 17 years old and cried like a baby when I heard Buck Owens and his Buckaroo's. I remember trying to hide in the crowd so no one would see me but the magic of that band and Tom's steel was overwhelming for my composure. He is definitely one of the highlights of my life and a blessed steel player that shared what could be done with this instrument.

Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 4:28 am    

Together Again was the first song that I learned on steel...he will be truly missed.

Brandon

Derrick Frank

Berkshire, England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 4:40 am     Goodbye Tom

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom on a very rare visit to the UK back in the late 80s, on which occasione he came to a place outside Oxford to play with the Dessert Rose Band, and obveously I made a point of meeting him, and the reception I received was as if he'd known me as a good friend, and he had time for all the other muso's lining up to meet him, and what a band, one time I won't forget in a hurry, God Bless Tom.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 5:15 am    

In 1972, during my sophomore year at Morehead State University, Rick Nelson and The Stone Canyon Band performed on our campus. Since having been a fan of Tom's since his Buck Owens days, I went to the concert hoping to see and meet him. The venue was stadium seating and I cut a couple of classes in an attempt to be at least, close to the front of the line. I was rewarded with a 3rd row seat, right in front of Tom. Of course the concert was great and Tom's playing was magnificent, so beautifully clear with that touch of tube overtones. I felt as though as I was in steel guitar heaven. Immediately after the concert, I walked to the front of the stage and yelled Tom's name. When he heard me, Tom motioned to me to walk over to the steps at the end of the stage and then asked security to allow me to pass through. I introduced myself to Tom and we talked for almost 30 minutes. I was in awe of everything that Tom did, not only his playing but his gentlemanly manner and sincerity.
Forward to 2002, the Mullen room at the T.S.G.A. Jamboree in Dallas. I was looking at a Tweed Bassman amp sitting over by the wall when someone walked up and said, "that's just an old Fender Bassman" and that later on, Leo had installed reverb in it for him. Of course, it was Tom. We talked about his amp and his guitar and then I mentioned meeting him in 1972 at the college concert. Tom sat down on his pac a seat, told me to pull up a chair and then began reminiscing about those days of touring the college campus's. Although I never had another opportunity to converse with Tom, whenever we met in passing, he always said hello, even remembering my name!
Like everyone, I was devastated to hear the news of Tom's heart attack and stroke(s). As requested, I had been praying for a miracle for Tom. Although I'm deeply saddened by his death, I do know however, that he is in God's loving arms. My thoughts and prayers are with Tom's family. May Tom rest in peace.

jerry harkins

kingsland tx
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 6:29 am     Thanks to Tom

This is hard to take. My heart goes out to Rolene and the family, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Tom was the one who started me playing steel. In 1980 tom had his ZB shop in Kingsland Tx where I lived at the time.
I didn't know Tom at the time but I liked the sound of the steel, so when I learned the ZB shop was there I had to stop by and check it out. Tom was sitting at his green ZB guitar and his playing knocked me out.
After we talked he said he would build me a guitar if I wanted to learn to play.
I was hooked. We became friends and I later owned two ZB's that tom built for me. Tom was a wonderfull man who took the time to help me and so many others enjoy the love of steel guitar. I will always remember Tom for the gift of music that he gave me and taking the time to be a friend.
Jerry

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:26 am    

I met Tom in 1965 at Disneyland at a Buck show, and then in 1967 at a package show in Anaheim CA, but we didn't become real friends until he moved to Austin TX around 1980. He set up shop for building ZB guitars at his family's place in Kingsland TX.

Tom would fill in for me with my band, Texas Fever, whenever I had to leave town for a bit. Needless to say, the band was ecstatic to have a fill-in of TB's caliber... and of course they hid their disappointment when I'd return from my trips! Wink

In recent years, Tom and his two sons got involved in a franchise mail store/copy service business up in MO, similar to Kinko's, and had success with it. Tom talked to me quite a bit about opening a franchise store here in S. Austin, but I told him it sounded too much like *work* to me so I passed on the deal. When he moved to San Antonio recently, I asked him what was up with his mail store business, and he said "it was too much like *work*!" We both had a big laugh about that. Smile

He was a great man.

Debbie Johnley sent me this photo yesterday, of Tom and I with John Farrell. I will treasure it.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:31 am    

Tom is one of those guys whose playing I always knew about and admired before I ever started tinkering with steel guitar. I remember my parents coming back from Branson in '95 and telling me that they had met Tom in a shopping mall and how down-to-earth and friendly he was to them.

I finally had the pleasure of meeting Tom a couple years later in Tulsa. Of course, he was just as nice and down-to-earth as everyone says. I was looking forward to seeing Tom and the show at Dallas this year, but I guess Tom just had a more important place to be. Rest in peace, and my most sincere condolences to and prayers for your family.

David Thornhill

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:32 am     table

I remember back when Tom was playing with Ricky Nelson, They were playing at the Palameno Club in LA and I was in La with Loretta. I called Jack, Tom's brother, and he said to come on down to the club. When I got there,a line of people was formed all around the block. Jack took me ahead of the line, and He and Tom got me a private table beside the band stand, and right beside Tom. I sit there all night and dug Tom. What a friend. See Him later. Dave Thornhill

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:44 am    

It was always such a pleasure to work with Tom. Just to be near him in the studio and watch him was like watching a master at work. So full of great music, and such a pleasure to be around.. And always, there were great stories.

He once told me about a time when he was making the ZB gtrs, and he had a surprise visit from the fire marshall.
Tom was sure he was going to get a citation or closed down, because he had violations all over the place.
The fire marshall asked Tom what he made there, and Tom answered, "steel guitars." Tom said the fire marshall looked down at a new ZB, all full of birdseyes and inlay, and touched it a little bit, admiring it, and replied, "It's amazing what you can do with steel these days."

We all had a great laugh, and then Tom proceeded to play the solo to "I Sang Dixie", one of the finest steel guitars solos ever recorded.

Last edited by Skip Edwards on 4 Feb 2009 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:44 am    

Tom and Rolene were both born and raised just north of here in Powell and Neosho Missouri and we always enjoyed visiting about their old stomping grounds.
Once at a Siloam Springs show when tornadoes had been pretty bad, I was visiting with them and Tom said "Did you hear about the tornado that tore up Pea Ridge today ? I said no --none had hit that I knew about--to which he replied what time did you leave there ? I said about 10:30 to which he replied well this was about 11:00 " Laughing
He and Rolene were always just hometown country folks to my wife and I. As I sometimes say "A slice right off the top" Winking

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 2:43 pm    

Tom and I had a chance to visit and talk at Scotty's wed. night getogether at the ISGC 2008. What a nice time we had and I'll always remember that wonderful time together. Bobby

Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 3:18 pm    

I have always been a fan of Buck Owens and his Buckeroos, and when Tom played Together Again, chills would run through my body. It was one of those songs that had that type of effect on a person.

I had a chance to first see Tom when he played with Rick Nelson at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis many years ago. When my wife and I went to Branson a few years ago, we attended his show at the 76 Theater, and I was able to chat for a few minutes with him and take a picture with him.

His influence on many steel fans will be felt for many years to come, and like those who have gone on before, he will be missed by his family and friends.

May God grant peace and rest to him and to his family.

Dennis

Stephanie Carta

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 3:53 pm    

What great stories.

My condolences to the Brumley family and all his friends and fans.

When I was 15 and saw my first Desert Rose Band show, it was the first time I'd seen a live country music act after growing up and watching all the greats on television. My grandparents from Sicily loved Buck Owens. I found a bunch of old album including Live At Carnegie Hall and those sparkly suits and twanging guitar drew me in for life.

The Toad's Place gig in 1991 was pretty special because there weren't too many country fans in New Haven, CT but the fans were going wild for the band and they ended up playing three encores and signed autographs after the show.

I recognized Tom from my old Buckaroos albums. The band had written some sentimental ballads that were brand new and debuted that night.. the cryin' steel guitar made me feel like I was in Bakersfield.

Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 4:06 pm    

I met Tom in 1995 at the theater in Branson and ask if I could use Tracey's waltz on a Demo.Tom's reply was
"I am so honored that some one would want to use the song I wrote for my daughter and I get the first copy" What a class act

Tay Joslin

Clarksvillle, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 4:14 pm    

I first met Mr. Tom and Mrs. Rolene at the
ISGC in 2003. I was 23 years old at the
time; Mr. Tom was 67 (pushing 68 ). Because
of my age, he was just as intrigued to meet
me as I was him, and we have been acquainted
ever since!

Mr. Tom's sterling reputation is as pure on
a personal level as it is on stage. When
my wife, Jenn, and I got married in August of
2006, I called Mr. Tom and Mrs. Rolene to let
them know that we had decided to honeymoon in
Branson. They both insisted that we attend
church with them on Sunday and have lunch with
them afterwards. Later that same week, Mr. Tom
got us in to Mickey Gilley's show for free, as
well as another show in which he played steel guitar
for. Before we departed, the Brumley's invited
us over for breakfast and a tour of their basement,
which houses some of the greatest treasures I have
ever seen, namely all of Mr. Tom's gold records and
his 1959 Fender Amp through which "Together Again"
was recorded. I shall never forget their hospitality!

This world is a much finer place thanks to the
genuine and spiritual character of Tom Brumley!

With much love and admiration,
Tay Joslin

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 4:59 pm     little rock getaway.........

i think it was in the winter of 1984. i remember it was a really, really cold saturday night.
for some reason i wasn't playing that night, either because of the cold or my options had played out.
less than half a mile south of my house lived zane beck. around 6:30pm, the phone rang and i answered
and zane was on the other end. he ask if i was playin' tonite and i sez', no, to which he sez', do you want to? i have a friend here from missouri and we oughta just go somewhere and play, the 3 of us.
certainly, not to burn a bridge, i said yes, to which he said, we'll pick you up in 5 minutes.
zane's van pulled up and this guy slides out of the passenger seat into a seat behind the driver and i hop in. that seat was an amp.
as we are pulling out, zane sez', jack, have you met .....tom brumley?
man what i nite of pickin'. just zane and tom.
the place we went to was a typical country tavern, beer joint, with a fireplace that seperated the dancehall from the bar and they burned big ol' pine logs. lot's of fire, but no heat.
we would stop from time to time and stand with our hands in the fire.at least i didn't have a cold steel bar in mine.
just a handful of drunks with nowhere to be on such a cold nite. man did they love twin steels and....
together again!
the next time i talked with tom was 2004, and i sez', remember the night. ....to which he sez', that still makes me shiver! tom brumley, what a class guy!
jack..........

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 6:46 pm    

This story involves Tom Brumley and myself despite several degrees of separation.

About two or three months ago, I kept procrastinating pulling the trigger on Norm Hamlet's old ZB D-11 ("NH-1968") here on the Forum classifieds. I could afford it readily, but I couldn't honor it appropriately. Finally, someone stepped up and bought it, to my slight regret and enormous relief.

Maybe not a week later a Scranton D-11 pops up for a few hundred less and here, I decided, was my reward and salvation for forbearance, propriety and humility (if I do say so myself.) Then a few days later, in working out shipping, etc. with the seller, he mentions that Tom Brumley asked if it were still available.

"I am not worthy" panic again. Come to find out, Tom was down the time line a few spots.

I'm kinda sorry I'll never have the opportunity to maybe negotiate and haggle with him for it.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 9:08 pm    

Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone. I knew Tom only through his music, but I feel like I know him from your stories.