The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ben Brogdon
J. Lynn Davis

Knoxville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 10:06 am    

Here is a great video of Ben playing with Herby Wallace in Michigan. Ben scats towards end , which was Ben at his best. This outstanding musician will surely be miss along with his endless jokes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQtkoI5R8uM

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 10:19 am    

Rest in peace my dear friend. I will miss you very much for sure.

Duane Brown

Reno,Nevada USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 10:24 am     Ben Brogdon

I,too am in shock. I only met Ben at ISGC 2007 and really spent a lot of time with him at the 2008 ISGC. We talked about an album he played on with Sid Hudson and Paul Franklin. Since it isn't available on cd, Ben offered to make a cd for me.Sure enough it arrived with an apology for taking so long. I'm reading the note he sent through a broken heart, because I won't get the time to know this incredibly generous and talented man better. My prayers are for God to carry his family through this terrible time. Duane

J. Lynn Davis

Knoxville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 10:30 am     Family friend...

I am saddened by the news of Ben. Being the sidekick to my father all these years, Ben will surely be missed. Not to mention the tears he brought to ours eyes from laughter. He was always telling a joke and his sense of humor was priceless. I know he can never be replaced but I bet he is cracking up the angels upstairs already! RIP- Andrea Wallace Williams

David Thornhill

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 12:01 pm     ben

I have been friends with Ben for many years. Did some motorcycle riding with him. A super bass player, but a better person. Will miss him. Dave Thornhill

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 5:10 pm    

Debra and I are very saddened by the passing of Ben.

We had many great conversations with him at Steel Guitar Shows.

He was always sincere, good-humoured and always shared his enthusiasm for our beloved instrument.

We will miss him dearly!

Rest in peace Ben!

Bob and Debra

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 11:20 am    

We've just received an email from a friend in Nashville about Ben's passing so I knew there'd be more info on the forum. I'm very heartbroken right now knowing this truly real person, friend, character, musician...is gone. I was one of the many that met Ben when he first moved to Nashville in the early/mid 70's and I was thrilled to have him play on my first steel album. He was also in a studio band with Paul Franklin, Randy Hauser and myself which was being produced by Pete Drake (never released but Ben was a powerhouse).

I've cherished his friendship and his frequent contact (mostly stories and jokes). I know many of you knew Ben well and are missing him terribly like I already do. Many times he referred to himself as "rougher than a stucco bathtub" but we all know he had a tender and truly caring heart.

Mike

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 11:33 am     By this time it was 4 foot deep

I took this of Ben, Sam(friend of mine), and Janet Lynn's Husband in 2004 at Ronnie's Guitar shop in Hot Springs, Ar. The subject line says it all.

Mike

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 2:46 pm    

Such sad news. I was fortunate to meet Ben when he came to Nashville in the 70's. Worked some clubs with him and a few sessions. Great player and a sense of humor second to none. Ben always worked to get the best tone on his bass and he did nail the best sound. I would walk into a club he was playing and say to him "Ben that's not your regular bass is it" Shook him up for a couple seconds then he realized I was kidding and have a good laugh. I will miss you my friend.RIP
Richard

Dee Polish

Concord, NC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 7:37 pm    

We received the sad news regarding our dear friend Ben Brogdon on Sunday afternoon. Paul and Ben emailed constantly and I knew when Paul was at the computer cracking up, it was something from Ben. We loved him and he will be missed greatly by all who knew him. Paul enjoyed being on the bandstand with him more than any words could say and often remarked how much fun it was to play with him and how much easier Ben made his job on the drums. Ben was quick with a reply, a joke,a very intelligent man,a mighty talent and the music world will feel his passing as will all of his friends. Our love and prayers to Jane and his family.

Paul and Dee Polish

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 11:02 am    

I'm going to miss Ben a lot. I really enjoyed becoming reaquainted with him at the AZ steel shows the last couple of years, and his deep groove will be missed this weekend.

Ben's humor is legendary, especially his ability to cut somebody with great affection and good will. But what sticks out in my mind was the very first gig I got in Nashville, filling in with Dottie West. Ben was on that gig, and he was truely friendly, supportive and helpful (rare characteristics in the cynical road warrior world at that time). And of course, he kept me in stitches the whole tour.

Wade Medlock

Avondale Estates, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 4:39 pm    

I'll fondly remember Ben at the Steels for Meals benefit I put on in Atlanta in 1999. Ben's humor was always infectious, and when he scat-sang along with his bass solo, the crowd went wild. Now, he's cracking up the heavenly host. We'll see you again some day, Ben.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 6:31 am     Ben......

A great person and steeler. I will miss him.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2009 7:35 am    

This is just too sad. Ben was far too young.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2009 1:02 pm    

As everyone involve stated over our 3 day show Ben you are missed.

Since we had the first show after Ben left us I know I for one (but many others stated) we would look up there expecting to see Ben on the bass.

Everyone and I do mean everyone miss you our friend

RIP (and many many are praying for the family)
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2009 2:00 pm    

Ben once said to me"all steel players are wizards-even the worst there is"...I will miss his playing and his wonderful humor...

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2009 2:04 pm    

Barbara and I just returned from Phoenix about an hour ago with very heavy hearts. We loved Ben as though he were part of our family and I think sometimes he really was. Many of you have said so many of the things we wanted to say so I'll not be redundant. I called Jayne Sunday night, the day of Ben's death, from Las Cruces, New Mexico while on the way to Phoenix to express our condolences and love for both her and Ben.
It has long been said the God takes the most beautiful of flowers for His garden and now Ben has been added to His heavenly garden.
Good bye, for now, dear friend and may our Lord keep you in His loving hands.
....Roy and Barbara

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2009 9:52 pm     Ben Brogdon

Well, I have to add a little more about my buddy, Ben Brogdon. When I was at his funeral last Tuesday, I don't think it had really hit me yet that he was really gone. I was playing one of CDs that I recorded last summer that Ben was playing on and it hit me like a ton of bricks today listening to his great bass playing on the CD. As I mentioned earlier, Ben and I had been friends for over 35 years and he was one of my favorite bass players, musicians and friends of all time. He played on 4 of my albums and a live DVD, plus we have played many steel guitar shows together all over the country and travelled and roomed together. One thing about his bass playing that really meant a lot to me and I told him this many times is that when I am adlibing and paint myself into a corner so to speak especially when I am phrasing behind the beat, I can listen to Ben and always tell where we are timing wise or what I refer to is where one or the first beat of the measure so I can slide back in. I cannot tell you how many times he has pulled me out of a musical situation. Ben had a unique style when playing a walking 4/4 bass as he could make it sound like an upright bass with his technique and the patterns he played. A couple of other artists that Ben worked on the road with that I forgot to mention earlier were Claude Gray and Doug Kershaw plus he has backed many other artists on various shows. Some of the steel guitar shows he has worked at are: St. Louis (staff), Phoenix (staff), Lexington, KY (staff), Chattanooga (staff), Knoxville, TN (staff), Steeling For Hearts (staff), New Philadelphia, OH(staff), Lansdale, PA (staff), Grand Rapids, MI (staff), Dallas, Saluda, SC, Briston, VA (staff), Mobile, AL, Atlanta, GA, Hot Springs, AR (staff), Cope McDaniels Shows in Nashville (staff). There are probably some others, but these are most that come to mind. Ben was the perfect bass player for a steel guitar show in that he could read charts well, but also knew most any tune that was thrown at him whether it was country, swing or even jazz. Ben had played upright bass in jazz bands many years ago before coming to Nashville, so he had that background too. Also, I had forgotten to mention his cause of death and Jane had informed me that the doctors said it was a massive heart attack in his sleep and he just never woke up. My father died the same way in 1984 and I must say that if it was time for Ben to leave this life this was the best way for it to happen.

Herby Wallace

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2009 10:02 am    

Herby
Thanks so much for your terrific posts about Ben. You were a good pal, no lie.

A couple of my own little anecdotes I'd like to relate to the forum...

At the last ISGC, I handed my charts out to the band and Ben looked at the first chart for "At Sundown." My comment at the top of the chart was "swing your ass off." Ben said, "well, at least I can do that."

I told him "great, because I've never played this song on stage before."

He replied "I knew we had something in common!!" At that we both fell down laughing and it was a great way to start the show.

Ben was hilarious even when he wasn't trying to be. At the Sunday night dinner after ISGC that a bunch of us have, this time was when Herby was inducted into the HOF. Ben came over to the table at the time some of us were discussing health issues. Ben said, probably very innocently "we found a lump on my prostate, so I went to a doctor... you know, for a second opinion."

Laughing

He didn't realize what we were all cracking up over until he thought about it for a second, then said "I'm pretty good, aren't I?" or something like that.

Good Lord, he was great!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 12:28 pm    

My friend Ben, I miss you alot, your friend Red "CHOO CHOO" Kilby

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 1:00 pm    

Gentle Ben we love you always.
From the Galbraith's & Franklin's.