The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ben Brogdon
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 6:51 am    

This is sad news. I will miss Ben's excellent musicianship and his wonderful sense of humor.
Chuck

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 6:55 am    

I arrived at a jam yesterday in Yuma and Merrill Finch came straight over and told me about Ben. I was shocked to say the least ---- RIP Mr. Ben you will be missed for years to come.

Condolenses to the whole family. I still am not sure what to say.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 7:27 am    

Sad sad news. I loved playing with Ben. His playing was always great and he was always smiling. Barbara and I will both miss him. Chuck and I were looking forward to playing with him in Phoenix this weekend. What a huge loss.
Jim

John Thomas

Gainesville, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 7:27 am    

What a shock! It is almost unbelievable that we have lost such a great human being. As others have said, his wit and talent were unmatched. Ben was one of the main reasons we enjoyed going to Pigeon Forge.
He will be sadly missed.

Our sympathy and prayers to Jayne and the family.

Johnny and Janice Thomas
Gainesville GA

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 8:14 am    

I just found out about this terrible, terrible event a couple minutes ago, when I decided to go to "Gone Home." I started crying and muttering "oh no, oh no," and my wife came in and asked what the matter was... I told her one of my dearest friends has died.

This is why I dread opening "Gone Home," stuff like this.

I truly loved Ben, the absolute funniest man I've ever known, and such a wonderful musician. I use more Ben Brogdon lines, tell Ben Brogdon jokes... and always insist on his being on the bandstand when I play a steel show.

I have so much I want to say about this incredible friend of mine, but right now I can't... other than to say, through my tears, that I am devastated.

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 8:31 am    

Well, I just really don't know what to say. As many have said, this is a real shock. I've known Ben for about 30 years, but really gotten to know him the last few years. I've had the great pleasure to work as his rhythm section partner a few times, and as Paul and several other drummers will agree, Ben always made it so easy.

The last time we spoke, I had called him as I passed his exit on my way home from Nashville. As usual, I was in a hurry, and also as usual, Ben was fussing at me for not lettin' him know I was passing through so he could make a pot of chile.

Great player, great friend. We'll miss ya pal.

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 9:33 am    

It is with tear filled eyes that i learn the passing of my buddy Ben... When ever i would do a show with him, he would always give me a hard time about my charts, " said they looked like i did them in study hall".. and then just laugh and shack his head.. I sure will miss you Ben, and the Music world had lost a great player and friend! But i know there must be a huge Jam going on at that great show in the sky, and i hope some day to join you my friend..
You will always be remembered.. My heart goes out to your family..
Mike & Sally Sigler

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 10:28 am    

This sad news.
I have never met him but have several videos with him playing bass.
What a great bassist and good sense of humor.
He will surely be missed by all who knew him.
Don

Al Brisco

Colborne, ON Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 10:58 am    

What tragic news!

Having become more acquainted with Ben in the past several years, I always looked forward to sharing his humour while visiting & playing with him at our steel conventions.

He will be dearly missed!
Regards,
Al Brisco

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 11:17 am    

Such a loss to our Small Steel World of such great a talent, My Condolences to his family and friends.

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 11:47 am    

UNBELIEVABLE!!! We are so so sorry to hear this.
Such a shock.
Loved the guy.
Evelyn and L T

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 12:06 pm    

I am so sorry to hear about Ben Brogdon. I saw him so many times on the Shows, he was everybody's favorite. When He played with Herby Wallace, they really swung together. A great Bass Man..al.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 3:16 pm     R.i.p. Ben

I do beleive I met Ben in Dollywood a couple of years ago when we lived in Greenevile TN. Anna and My prayers go out to BEN and his Family.
Sam White
Pres.NESGA

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 3:19 pm    

My wife, Linda, and I just got back from The Lake of The Ozarks so I haven't had time to reply. Jimmy Queen called me At John Farrell's house with the sad news. I couldn't beleive what I heard. Ben Was such a dear freind and great player. And well you heard allready about his humor. I just can't get over this. I too Like Herb shed some tears for my friend. I will always miss you dear friend and think of you often. I loved you my friend. RIP dear Ben, Bobby

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 3:33 pm    

I am still in shock. I had the pleasure of working with Ben for a couple years at the Old Dominion Opry in Williamsburg, Va. We immediately hit it off. Not only was Ben a great bass player, but he had a vast knowledge of country music AND steel guitar. As a 31 yr.old "kid", Ben along with Brad Gum took me under his wing. "Where's the groove Benny?" And he would reply "It's in my back pocket so hang on young un'!!" Ben was the only guy that could get me to laugh when I was having a bad day. Been to his home, had his chili and bar-b-que, heard the stories and had a great friendship. I will miss him dearly. You can bet Ben is layin' down the 4/4 right now in a much better place. I am thankful to have known him.

Greg

Jerry Braswell

Hiram, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 4:51 pm    

Another great player gone home. Ben and I were good friends for many years. Sadly he and I never worked in the same band because he and I were both bass players. But he and I did work many show together on the road. We stayed in touch even after he and I left Nashville. I loved his sence of humor. He would tell me while working a steel show that one day he was going to have a bass guitar convention and invite one steel player. You gotta love it. I will miss his e-mails and his jokes, I will miss Ben. God rest is soul.

Jerry Braswell

Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 6:14 pm    

RIP Ben, and let it be known that you left us all with a smile on our faces because of your incredible musicianship and your wonderful sense of humor. You won't be forgotten.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 6:14 pm     Ben

Just received this.

Ben Brogdon
September 13, 1944 - January 18, 2009

Birthplace: Blytheville, Arkansas
Resided In: Kodak Tennessee USA
Visitation: January 20, 2009
Service: January 20, 2009
Cemetery: Elmwood Cemetery

Ben Brogdon, age 64 of Kodak, Tennessee, passed away Sunday, January 18, 2009.

Ben was an accomplished musician specializing in the electric and upright bass. His most recent work experience was in Pigeon Forge at Dollywood and prior to that the Dixie Stampede. He had been part of the staff band at the International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis, Missouri since 1998.

He also worked in Williamsburg, Virginia for several years at the Old Dominion Opry and Busch Gardens. Early in his career, he was band leader for the Broadway stage production of Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Ben’s career included working with country music artists such as Dottie West, Donna Fargo, Barbara Mandrell, Roger Whitaker, Stonewall Jackson, Jeannie Pruitt, Stoney Mountain Cloggers, and many steel guitar albums with Paul Franklin and Mike Smith.

He was preceded in death by his parents B.F. and Frances McHaney Brogdon.

Survivors:
Wife: Jayne Marshall Brogdon
Stepchildren: Christopher Mitchell, Leslie Arora, Landon Mitchell
Grandchildren: Calvin Mitchell, Conner Mitchell, Aiden Arora, Liam Arora, Gavin Mitchell
Sister: Alice Brogdon
Nieces: Alison Nelson and Stephanie Woodcum
Aunt: Lynn McHaney
Special father and mother-in-law: Clinton and Callie Marshall
Special brother-in-law and sister-in-law: Troy and Linda Marshall

Funeral service 7 PM Tuesday in the West Chapel of Atchley Funeral Home with Dr. Tommy Carney officiating. Interment will be in Blytheville, Arkansas. The family will receive friends 5-7 PM Tuesday at Atchley Funeral Home, Sevierville. (www.atchleyfuneralhome.com)
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Jimmy Queen

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 6:57 pm    

Eternal rest grant unto Ben, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Goodbye to our dear friend, Ben.

Jimmy & Starla Queen

Jimmy Queen

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 7:01 pm    

Dave Owens asked me to post this on his behalf:

I'm sure gonna miss my friend. He was a great bass player and most of all an even better friend and human being. I'll never forget those days of getting up on Sunday morning and getting on our motorcycles and just riding. Wheather it was to Ky or some place in Tennessee we haven 't been before just to get a biscuit and enjoy the day.

I'll never forget making a trip to Louisiana with him and Dottie West. He and Dottie were arguing over something and Ben looked at Dottie and Said " Dammit Dottie Get Out of My Area" !!! He still kept his job after that.

It seems our era of musicians and style of country music is dying out and it is a shame. I know God is getting a great addition to his band with Ben. I'll be looking forward to seeing him when my time comes, (But I don't want to bump him out of a job just yet).

GOD BLESS YOU BEN BROGDEN!!!!!!!

Dave

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 10:35 pm     I hate bad news

Rudy called me this evening with the sad news about Ben. Ben was one of the finest people you would have wanted to know. His wit and talent were both top drawer. I will miss him at the shows and the emails very much. I have had many conversations with him about several mutual picker friends, and some of the stories should have been recorded-- well maybe not, but they sure were funny. He will be sorely missed on the band stand. Ben was a bass player, I just play bass, he was truly a professional. May God the father hold the family in his loving arms of peace and comfort your hurt.

Mike

Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 4:33 am     What A Tragic Loss

OH............. MY HEART IS BLEEDING !!!!!

Ben O'Dell

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 9:00 am     Ben Brogden

I was absolutely shocked to hear about Ben's passing. We go way back to the days when I was playing in the house band at the Dee Man's Den in Nashville and I always looked forward to seeing him at the steel guitar conventions. I'll really miss him and extend my condolences to the entire family.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 9:16 am    

Well said, Jimmy and Starla.

I'm saddened by Ben's passing and will certainly miss his playing and good humor at future shows. My condolences not only to his family but to all the steel players who relied on Ben as both a dear friend and a bass player. As you can see here the list of the latter is long.

Debbie Johnley Glaub

St. Louis Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 9:37 am    

My sincerest sympathy to Ben's family and abundance of freinds he had captured throughout his life. He was a gentleman with a smile, humor and talent that will be missed, but remembered forever.
Will miss you Ben.....
Debbie
If someone can make sure Jayne gets these photo's I took of Ben at the convention I would appreciate it.